Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acclimatising hardwood floors

• 03-09-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Just got some multi-ply engineered oak flooring. However, I was told to let it acclimatise in the sealed boxes (for 4-6 weeks). That doesn't make sense to me, how could the humidity equalise if the boxes are wrapped in plastic?

I've seen one or two references on a search about leaving it in the box, but they don't say whether its plastic wrapped or not.

So I'll open it up to the real experts....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

open the boxes
    ya shouldn have any bother as long as its puts down right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

open the ends of the boxes. . Stack neatly.

Dont open the whole box. they need to be kept strapped tight or they could warp. Makes them imposable to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

open the boxes
    stack them and leave them be
    i fitted the exact same kind of flooring in maple yesterday
    and i advised the exact same to that person
    because they are engineered flooring they are that bit harder to warp and twist
    i had no problems with floor yesterday ,went straight down with no complications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

there are 100s of different make of semi soild. check manufactures advise.

I will nearly guarantee they will advise to open the ends only . Keep them tight and strapped, Unless the manufacture specifies against

Some semi' s will twist. Why take the chance.

i have fitted over 100 floors. I also insist in following manufacturer guidelines . If you dont you will void any warranty .

Anyone can fit a floor. Its hard work but simple enough. But so many DIYers give it a bash and make very oblivious mistake.
    The most simple thing to do is to read the instruction on acclimatization .
    there should be reading in each pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

gsxr1 wrote: »
    ...there should be reading in each pack

So it follows that I should open the pack :-)
    I'll give Ganlys a ring again and try to get this clarified. BTW the floor is StyleFloor 18x125 with 5mm Oak on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Make sure you get it right.

A guy supplied and fitted solid oak for me and made an absolute mess of it - floor is ruined.

He just brought the wood in and put it down, no acclimatisation.

Looked lovely when it first went down, but within 6 months it was atrocious.

As I read somewhere after the event, if you're thinking about hiring someone to do it, try to see a floor they put down a year ago, not last week.

BTW, the guy who did mine has a really professional looking ad in the golden pages (and was unfortunately recommended to me by a friend of my wife's family). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JayTi

7 days is perfect for a good engineered floor - leave in the boxes.

Advertisement