Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time teachers' pay and contracts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

Hey i recently started a new job in a non-VEC school. the contract i have been given says that i am a part time privately paid teacher but also states that i will be paid by the department. I'm bein paid as a sub for 17 hours a week. I was under the impression that you're supposed to be offered a contract running throughout the school year (including holidays) if you start the job before Nov 1st. anyone know where i stand on this one - dont want t start fighting with management untill i've all my facts straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hey i recently started a new job in a non-VEC school. the contract i have been given says that i am a part time privately paid teacher but also states that i will be paid by the department. I'm bein paid as a sub for 17 hours a week. I was under the impression that you're supposed to be offered a contract running throughout the school year (including holidays) if you start the job before Nov 1st. anyone know where i stand on this one - dont want t start fighting with management untill i've all my facts straight!

Are you getting both Department hours and privately paid hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

Not as far as i'm aware. My contract says "Privately Paid Teacher Fixed Term Contract of Employment" It's a private school so i'm not really sure how much of the union stuff applies. it says i will be paid the departmental rate. The hours are mine though, the teacher in there before me has left and gotten more hours in a different school so as my understanding went, i thought i was entitled to an RPT contract for my 17 hours. But there is a clause in the contract that says i won't be paid during school closures (midterm xmas etc) and it terminates on the 3rd of June rather than the end of August. Is the school just tryin t save money or am I not entitled to that contract??

Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not as far as i'm aware. My contract says "Privately Paid Teacher Fixed Term Contract of Employment" It's a private school so i'm not really sure how much of the union stuff applies. it says i will be paid the departmental rate. The hours are mine though, the teacher in there before me has left and gotten more hours in a different school so as my understanding went, i thought i was entitled to an RPT contract for my 17 hours. But there is a clause in the contract that says i won't be paid during school closures (midterm xmas etc) and it terminates on the 3rd of June rather than the end of August. Is the school just tryin t save money or am I not entitled to that contract??

Thanks for replying

If it is privately paid, you are being paid out of private school funds and not by the Dept. Most privately paid positions in schools do not pay for the summer holidays. It's also up to them what they pay you, but most will pay the departmental rate if they want to get a decent teacher.

If it's privately paid you are not entitled to an RPT contract as it's not a contract with the Dept. If the schools private funds dry up next year, the first teachers to go would be privately paid ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just to add another related query to this thread:

Should part time teachers be paid for when they attend staff meetings?

For example, there are staff meetings scheduled for a Wednesday afternoon when you are usually timetabled to teach classes. You must attend the meetings. Should you be paid?

Or slightly different scenario - you must attend meetings at a time you are not usually timetabled to teach classes. Should you be paid then?

I keep getting different opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

would it be because they are concessionary hours?

You'd really need to look at your contract to find this out.

Mods: can the title of this thread be changed to make it easier to find? It started out quite specific but is now more about Part-time teachers' pay issues in general. Maybe "Part time teachers' pay and contracts".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

deemark wrote: »
    Mods: can the title of this thread be changed to make it easier to find? It started out quite specific but is now more about Part-time teachers' pay issues in general. Maybe "Part time teachers' pay and contracts".

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sorry to drag up an old thread. In relation to pay , do permanent/contract ETB get paid monthly or is it just casual substitutes? I know of a sub who started subbing on September 1st but won't be paid until the 28th of October. It seems very long time to me to be teaching without some sort of payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread. In relation to pay , do permanent/contract ETB get paid monthly or is it just casual substitutes? I know of a sub who started subbing on September 1st but won't be paid until the 28th of October. It seems very long time to me to be teaching without some sort of payment.

This is how it is in my ETB. It's awful and I spent years stuck like that. The delay affects everyone non permanent - RPT (including those employed the previous year) and subs.

Permanent and RPT staff are paid twice monthly. Subs are paid once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I think she's ready to give it up with the cost of travel. That's despicable. Do those subbing in voluntary secondary's still get paid every two weeks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Postgrad10 wrote: »

Been there and agree it is truly awful :(
    I ended up.running an overdraft that was a bitch to clear - first paycheck went on clearing that but then nothing left going forward so you spend the year playing catch up. Did hear antidote of a principal subbing their young teachers till payday but not sure was that urban legend or not

Advertisement