Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Abroad

Options
  • 04-09-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Holland soon and I want to know if I lodge money into my Credit Card can I withdraw it abroad and not be charged,apart from the ATM charges you have to pay when you use these machines in foreign countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you just use an ATM card with Cirrus or Plus you won't be charged anything in the Euro zone anyway, hardly worth messing with the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hiscan wrote: »
    I'm going to Holland soon and I want to know if I lodge money into my Credit Card can I withdraw it abroad and not be charged,apart from the ATM charges you have to pay when you use these machines in foreign countries?

Depends on your card issues, many will change the cash advance fee, even if your account is in credit..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Depends on your card issues, many will change the cash advance fee, even if your account is in credit..

most dont if in credit. all the main banks wont. maybe the likes of MBNA and the like will.

as said by ardmacha no charge with laser card/cirrus if in the eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

It's a Bank of Ireland card.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If it's in credit then you won't be charged, because you're in the Eurozone. The same will apply if you use your laser card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

chris85 wrote: »
    most dont if in credit. all the main banks wont. maybe the likes of MBNA and the like will.

Those that do not charge are absorbing the charge, since they will have been charged a fee by the card scheme (Visa in this case) for the transaction.
    chris85 wrote: »
    as said by ardmacha no charge with laser card/cirrus if in the eurozone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

hiscan wrote: »

You'd be best advised to avoid using your CC to withdraw money from an ATM, no matter what country you're in. With my own CC I know that the interest rate charged on cash withdrawls using my CC is pretty high. Whenever I'm abroad I simply use my ATM card (bank debit card) and have no issues. I think you pay a flat fee of €1.50 or something no matter how much you withdraw (I THINK)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

marti8 wrote: »
    You'd be best advised to avoid using your CC to withdraw money from an ATM, no matter what country you're in. With my own CC I know that the interest rate charged on cash withdrawls using my CC is pretty high. Whenever I'm abroad I simply use my ATM card (bank debit card) and have no issues. I think you pay a flat fee of €1.50 or something no matter how much you withdraw (I THINK)

the interest being charged is if you are not in credit. A few banks dont work like this but the majority allow no charge to withdraw money in any country if in credit.

If i go somewhere outside the eurozone i always use my credit card. I put it in credit and withdraw the money with no charge. I always get a good rate too.

ATM card with cirrus dont have any charge within the eurozone. eleswhere there is more than a flat fee of €1.50 for most banks. Some charge as much as €12 depending on the value withdrawn.

Advertisement