Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman History Suggestions

Options
  • 04-09-2010 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've been reading quite a few books on classical history recently, but haven't been able to find a single volume book dealing with the history of Rome. I'd be happy with one up to Augustus even. But no such luck thusfar. So just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I'm not looking for source material, or anything dealing with specific periods, or the classical world in general; rather something liek the History of Rome podcast in book form. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Horrible Histories: The Rotten Romans :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Rubicon by Tom Holland is an entertaining account of the fall of the Roman Republic (Yes, it brings you up to Augustus :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Denerick wrote: »
    Rubicon by Tom Holland is an entertaining account of the fall of the Roman Republic (Yes, it brings you up to Augustus :))

I concur, great book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As well as the excellent Holland book, "In the name of Rome" by Adrian Goldsworthy. An excellent account of the Roman legions and their commanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ha, I think the Horrible Histories might be a bit too advanced for me!! ;)

I read Rubicon, which I thought was excellent (I'd also recommend Persian Fire incidentally), but I'm really looking for a grand overview of Roman history. I thought there'd be a wide choice, but it seems not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Not a book but an audiobook/podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

zeris wrote: »
    Not a book but an audiobook/podcast.

I've been listening to that for the past year or so. It's absolutely amazing really. The man deserves a medal for services to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

http://www.roman-empire.net/index.html

Good overview of roman history. For more detail go to local library there are usually some volumes on Julius Casear or Rome republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

The history of Rome is a huge topic, so most books cover only a limited period (lots of books deal with the fall of the Roman republic or the decline and fall of the Roman empire, but fewer cover the early years).

One book that aims to provide an overall history from the foundation of Rome to the fall of the Western Roman empire is by Michael Grant: The History of Rome. Grant, who died in 2004, was an eminent classicist (and at one time Vice-Chancellor of Queen's University, Belfast). He was a prolific translator (several of the Penguin Classics editions of works by Cicero and Tacitus are his translations), as well as an authority on classical mythology. He also wrote some more "popular" works, such as Gladiators, a study originally written in the 1960s, but reissued in 2001 to cash in on the interest in the topic stimulated by the Russell Crowe movie.

Grant's book The History of Rome was originally published in 1978, but Grant updated it a couple of years before he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Einhard wrote: »
    I've been listening to that for the past year or so. It's absolutely amazing really. The man deserves a medal for services to history.
    I was just told about this podcast by a friend. It's absolutely amazing. I think it's just sparked an interest in Roman history for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978539

This is the lecture series for roman history in Berkeley. Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Though its historical fiction "I Claudius" by Robert Graves is a great intro and not bad on the history

Forgive the Wiki but it hits the mark as a book review

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

The Early History of Rome by Livy is a good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know this is History forum but if you fancy a bit of fiction then Conn Iggulden has four books.
    A good read, they're quite long

http://www.conniggulden.com/?page_id=26

BBC Ancient Rome The Rise and Fall of an Empire has six episodes on youtube so that's a few hours of viewing
    Michael Sheen is amazing as Nero, truely scary, he's one of the best actors around

Dan Carlin does podcasts and has a series on Rome
    http://www.dancarlin.com/
    He's brilliant and the podcasts are pretty bloody as he explains tortures and massacres but well it's called Hardcore History for a reason, they are on itunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

I agree with Manach "In The Name Of Rome" is excellent on the military aspect of the empire.
    If you are looking for more general information "Roman Society: A Social Economic And Cultural History" by Henry Boren is a good introduction. It covers the rise, consolidation and fall of Roman imperial power from it's day as a small settlement right up until it's ultimate fall in the 340s CE as well as philosophy, literature, architecture etc.
    "Daily Life In Ancient Rome" by Jerome Carcopino was published back in the 1950's is an account of the daily life of all strata of society from senators to slaves be warned though you will have to use your imagination to visualise what is being described as there are no illustrations (I hope that didn't sound patronising)
    "A Cabinet Of Roman Curiosities" by JC McKeown is a collection of trivia and facts that you won't find in the more serious books and absolutely fascinating as a result

Advertisement