Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which portrait?

• 04-09-2010 6:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I took this photo when in Gibraltar earlier this year. Have just done some PP on it and quite like it as a Portrait. These monkeys are wild but quite used to being around people.

475EF86A99AE4787BF168856FFB40BF3-0000318539-0001894500-00800L-B279B6FA72EF4F639826C101CB2CAE6B.jpg

Above is the way the shot was taken, but I am wondering if it works better when flipped.

2E24B385D3D641ABBD9B615F6416708E-0000318539-0001894499-00800L-9528FC3576B7480CA47E124B28EBB638.jpg

I generally like to keep shots as taken, but would like some opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I like it better the way it was taken. hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Jeepers that's a tough one, Cool shot and I love how it looks like he is glaring straight back at the camera/viewer.

I think I prefer the flipped one, 52%/48% win though..

You may get a bit of a better response with a poll too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is one of those shots that you overlook as the version out of the camera is not that good, but on revisiting you can see how some PP can really lift it.

This is how it appeared straight out of the camera.

126505.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Second one for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Lovely shot. First for me. No idea why though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

first one.
    prefer the blank space to the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Second one (the flipped one) but i think it's because for me the subject should always be on my strong side,(i'm left handed) I know crazy theory but true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

1st one and I assume that was the original?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes. First one is the original.

Just flipping it over changes the feel of the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

I prefer the flipped one it draws in the eye more with space leading the viewer out. Great photo though and it works well either way, but personally second one for me. A lot of comments for both so I guess either flip a coin or go with your own gut feeling. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

stick-dan wrote: »
    Second one (the flipped one) but i think it's because for me the subject should always be on my strong side,(i'm left handed) I know crazy theory but true...

I bet you there's something in it... I'm right handed and to me the blank space is more comfortable on left, and subject more comfortable on right, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

The editing was definitely an improvement over the shot straight from the camera. As for the flipping, I guess I'm the first to say that it makes no difference to me... and no, I'm not ambidextrous ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I like the 1st one best, don't ask. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

kjt wrote: »
    I love how it looks like he is glaring straight back at the camera/viewer.
    Is he? In the first image I think he's looking into the distance over the photographer's left shoulder. Great picture eitherway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I prefer the 1st. The rail is _really_ bugging me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

The second one, but I think thats only because the image is on the left hand of my screen. Centered I don't think I would have a preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I think the first one is best: the space on the left hand side means the viewers eye is drawn straight to the monkey's eyes.

In the flipped image the space on the right side of the picture leaves a strange gap which leads the eye out of the frame and draws less attention to the monkey.

At least that's how I see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

2nd one for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Second..........because I am left handed and also left eye dominant, so I automatically look to the left side of the screen first, we also read left to right, write left to right, it just seems more natural.

Majority of right handed people would be right eye dominant....just a little bit of useless information :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

+1 ^^

I'm left eye dominant but right handed. I prefer the second version probably because we read from L - R naturally and it somehow seems more pleasing.

However, can't say the image does much for me as an image as I don't like pictures of animals/pets.

• Advertisement

I don't like pictures of animals/pets.

Think of it as prey. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I think the flipped one is better, I think I might prefer this because either I am used to reading left to right or that I am left handed and that is my prefered side :)
    Nice shot!

Advertisement