Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pharmacies

• 04-09-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

How can pharmacies charge different prices here in Galway? Where do ye find the cheapest?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Different prices for what exactly?
    Do you think they should all charge the same for everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How can pharmacies charge different prices here in Galway?

Pretty much the same way that pubs can.

(A publican is just a pharmacist with limited inventory :p )

Haven't got the same thing often enough to really be able to compare. Mr Just recently had a 2nd script for the same item: somewhere in Eglington St charged him 20% less than a pharmacy somewhere near the Crescent (sorry, don't know which ones exactly).

If you ever get a script for something that the doctor says will be expensive, ring a few places and get quotes before deciding where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

How can pharmacies charge different prices here in Galway?
    Gotta make profit somewhere...

Oh about pharmacies - are there any that open late? As far as I remember, there's only one out in Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Briarhill is open later, according to its door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

Oh about pharmacies - are there any that open late? As far as I remember, there's only one out in Newcastle?

It's not open THAT late - I live up the road from it. Until 9pm most nights, I believe. I think I saw that Matt O'Flaherty's in the shopping centre is open til 8 or 9 most nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

No I understand that profits must be made but I just wonder how some can justify the massive differences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No I understand that profits must be made but I just wonder how some can justify the massive differences.

The price gets justified when people agree to pay the price being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

wecare pharmacy in salthill (near warwick) has latest opening hours as far as I know I was in there @10pm few wks ago on a midweek night

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Another reason is people are getting a script for a particular brand from the doctor but if they ask the chemist there is other tablets there that are the exact same, are cheaper, just they are not a big brand. We pharmacies try to tell people this they think they are been screwed. Its just a case of the doctor not knowing every brand of medication available which is fair enough as there are multiple different brands of medication all doing they same think with the same basic ingredients.

Also the bigger firms buy in bulk which means they can offer slightly better deals but i find you don't get as much of a personal touch from the big pharmacies personally.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

No idea. I've never got the same thing multiple times that I'd notice but I did make a huge purchase in Colms pharmacy in Salthill recently and the lovely Colm gave me an enormous discount so that's who I'll be supporting from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hi gaeilgegrinds1,

It would be illegal for pharmacies to get together and set prices-it would be seen as a cartel, in the same way that doctors are not allowed to get together and fix prices for a consultation.

As someone mentioned it would be a good idea to ring around and check the prices if you think your prescription will be expensive.

With regard to generic drugs, if a doctor choses to prescribe a particular branded drug the pharmacist is not allowed to substitute a generic product. If the doctor choses to write generically then the Pharmacist can give you the cheapest brand they stock (they don't keep every brand) if you like.

Depending on staff numbers, rent, deals from wholesalers etc pharmacists have to calculate their margins and this will affect the price you are charged.

Advertisement