Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearth at floor level

• 04-09-2010 9:30am
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Folks,

I will be taking out fireplace and cut out some of the block work an put in a lintel 4 or 5 feet high. The stove will sit back into the firepalce an The base of the fireplace will be at floor level.
    I was just going to put ceramic tiles on this base under the stove an extending out a bit and this would be my heart. I have seen this in a photo and it looked good. Also allows more space between stove and lintel and keeps the heat down for a lower start.Would this setup be ok?
    Now we have decided to insulate the floor which would involve 1 inch batons and then 1 inch plywood/laminate on top. So the floor would be 2 inches above the level of the hearth. If I were to simply add 2 inches of concrete to the base/hearth, before tiling on top would this work?
    Or any other sggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Johney

Advertisement