Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in Galway

Options
  • 04-09-2010 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everybody !

I'm Charlene, from France. I'm coming to Galway the 15th of September, to live here around 6 months, or more.

I post here, to be reassured a little bit, about finding a job, I hope it's not too hard. I want to work in a restaurant / pub ect... as a waiteress. I've never worked as a waiteress, but I've a good english (I think), I spent the last 6 months in Northern Ireland, as au pair.

I'm also looking for a sharing accomodation, so if you know somebody who's looking for a roomate... I allready sent some mails in daft.ie but I received any answers. :mad:

So, I'm coming without any job, and any place to live (well, I'm gonna stay in a youth hostel during the first nights)... It will be a good point if I've some contacts in Galway, so I'll not be too alone.

I don't know Galway, but lots of people told me that it was a great city, and that I'm gonna love it :D !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Welcome, and good luck with that.

'Fraid I can't give you any re-assurance about job-hunting: Galway is a very popular place and lots of people do exactly what you're doing. And there's a lot of unemployment everywhere in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Excellent Charlene,many people wish they could take the challenge and do what you do. well done on your decision to go for it! I hope its a positive experience for you. If i hear of any jobs ill let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oztralia

Yes, I know that Galway is a very popular city, and that unemployment has improved... But I wanna try, and I'll see.

sunshinyday > Thanks, many persons from my family and friends told me the same, that it was courageous to leave like that. (I did the same 8 months ago, I stoped university, and went in Northern Ireland. It was different, because I was in a family.)

Hi and welcome to Galway.

You're better off not emailing those daft.ie ads. Most have a phone number for which you can contact them and this is probably your best option. You should also check out the Galway Advertiser classifieds section too here for accommodation to let. It's updated online every Wednesday after 3pm (if I've got that right?)

Don't worry about being alone - there are many events scheduled across Galway and ones organised on here - these include bowling, gaming, movies, beers, tea/coffee meetings. They would be posted in the relevant threads on here.

As for jobs, I've seen a few places looking. Before you move, I would advise to maybe come to Galway for a weekend and spend this time handing out CVs.

Advertisement