Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox running, but won't open?

• 04-09-2010 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

I have spent quite a while trying to find the correct place to put my query...I can't find a section on web browsers and the 'search' function brings up nothing related to my query...so I'm going to post here under Computers & Technology.

Anyway, I'm wondering can anyone help me with my firefox issue.

It used to work fine, but recently, I click on the firefox icon, the hourglass goes around and then nothing.

In the task manager it says that Firefox is running....?

I have tried re-booting the laptop, then uninstalling/reininstalling firefox...to no avail.

I am currently using Google Chrome, but would prefer to go back to firefox.

What I find interesting is that firefox works on the other user accounts on the same pc...

Any help would be appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Try end the task in task manager and run firefox again.

If that doesn't work go to add/remove programs in control panel and remove firefox.

Then download and reinstall firefox again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Most problems with browsers not opening etc. happen because of dodgy addons.

End the Firefox process, then go to Start->All Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode).

If it opens, go to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions and disable everything. You can then reenable everything one by one to see which add-on in particular is causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cargorlaur

Thanks..

Hi Hobochris, tried all that, to no avail...thanks though!

Blowfish, ended the firefox process in task manager...then, I went into the Firefox (safe mode) option...unfortunately, that too will not open.

I am guessing it has something to do with add-ons alright, because I'm the only one who was changing my profile 'skin' and other stuff like that...the other users on the laptop just left theirs alone!

Anyway, still in the dark...thanks though guys!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Instructions for manually removing Firefox add-ons are here

Thanks for that...had to go out just after I posted my last post.

I'll have a look into it tomorrow and see how I go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If Firefox works for other user accounts, your account probably has a corrupt Firefox profile. Firefox profiles are *not* removed when you uninstall Firefox.

I suggest you start firefox with the -P option (see here), remove the existing profile and create a new one.

Alternatively, you could manually delete the profile folder:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Thanks, I have a feeling that this will be the solution...It has to be a corrupt file or something.

I hope to devote some time to this later on today (I have to head out now again :rolleyes:) so I'll get back to you with the results...

I really appreciate the replies....

Hi all....

Success!!!! :D

So, once I was able to devote a bit of time to this,

1. I went into task manager and ended all the Firefox processes that were running in the background. (There was about 6!)

2. I uninstalled Firefox

3. I manually deleted any Firefox folders in the Program files folders...

5. I deleted all shortcuts on my desktop.

4. I emptied my recycle bin.

5. Re-installed Firefox (accessing the website through Google Chrome)

6. Re-booted laptop.

7. Firefox still did not open...so once again I ended the process in the task manager.

8. This time I was able to open Firefox (Safe mode) once I selected the Administrator mode. (Can't quite remember this step, but I think I right clicked over the words "Firefox (Safe mode)" then I was able to select 'Run as Administrator' option)...it all happened a bit quick!

7. I was then able to disable all 'Add-ons'.

9. Clicked on the Firefox shortcut and it opened!

10. So, just back on to Thank you all....

Hopefully this will be the end of my Firefox issues!

(I also had an error message showing up about a Kontiki delivery system...so I clicked on the button to 'restore' it , now the error message appears to be gone now...I wonder had this anything to do with it?)

Advertisement