Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes and Eggs pelted at Tony Blair in Dublin

• 04-09-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Eggs and shoes have been thrown at the former prime minister Tony Blair as he arrived at a book signing in Dublin.

It happened as he arrived at Easons on O'Connell Street to sign copies of his autobiography.

Activists clashed with Gardai as they tried to push down a security barrier outside the bookshop.

More than 300 people queued from early on Saturday morning to get a book signed.

There is a large police presence in the city and O'Connell Street has been closed to traffic.

Dozens of gardaí have been on duty in O'Connell Street since early this morning and sections of the main thoroughfare are cordoned off to traffic.

It is expected that Mr Blair will remain in Eason until after midday. All proceeds from the book will go to the Royal British Legion.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Why?

Because there is a lot of very silly people living here, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I dislike those people who threw the eggs and I don't agree with their viewpoints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Why?

Because a few dozen student twats love having their day out.

The fúcking imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

thats dublin for u! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Was Britains eggs Prime Minister quickly shoed from the scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ridiculous.
    Have we not moved on at all as a society? The man is one of the great orators and politicians of our time. I do not agree with some of his political decisions, however surely we are past the stage where we need to throw things at all british heads of state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ruddy Hooligans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Why?

Because Tony Blair started an illegal war on false premises. No joke, it was in the papers and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Now if only one Axl Rose was there I would be on the bus with some REAL bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

easyeason3 wrote: »

Considering he was trying to pedal the idea that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11 last night, its about what he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

He's lucky he wasn't late or it would have been bottles full of p1ss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Honestly, who throws a shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This is just stupid! why cant people just leave him alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Its the same rent a crowd that is always there. Id say it is made up of 90% of the same people who protested outside crokepark when england played ireland in rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nodin wrote: »
    Considering he was trying to pedal the idea that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11 last night, its about what he deserves.

Considering you are from the same shower that constantly make excuses for dissident terrorists up north, I'd wager that your support will damage the egg throwers more in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I hear Tony was walking on egg shells trying to heel his image

Hehe , anyone else notice his username:P

Denerick wrote: »
    Considering you are from the same shower that constantly make excuses for dissident terrorists up north, .

I've never made an excuse for the dissidents and have condemned same on numerous occassions. Do not make false allegations, thanks.

No it's not.
    He was badgered by Ryan last night & barely had time to answer one question before Ryan was firing the next one at him. Ryan came across as an idiot of an interviewer last night.

And for anyone throwing eggs, shoes or even applauding it then just please take a step back & look at how ridiculous, backward & stupid something like that is.

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »

...because he wants to "deal with" Iran the same way they dealt with Iraq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Note to the OP reposting a news story from the BBC is rather lazy.

No it's not.
    He was badgered by Ryan last night & barely had time to answer one question before Ryan was firing the next one at him.

I watched the interview. He linked Saddam Hussein and 9/11. Thats an outrageous, baseless, utterly disproven lie. He also advocated military action against Iran.

No it's not.
    He was badgered by Ryan last night & barely had time to answer one question before Ryan was firing the next one at him. Ryan came across as an idiot of an interviewer last night.

And for anyone throwing eggs, shoes or even applauding it then just please take a step back & look at how ridiculous, backward & stupid something like that is.

Well I really thought he put that smartarse (Tubs being the smartarse) in his place tbh

Rothmans wrote: »
    Well I really thought he put that smartarse (Tubs being the smartarse) in his place tbh

By coming out with half truths, lies and distortions? O well done Tony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

RobitTV wrote: »

Agreed. It's just rampant Catholic-bashing. First it was the paedophile priests and now it's the war-criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ridiculous.
    Have we not moved on at all as a society? The man is one of the great orators and politicians of our time. I do not agree with some of his political decisions, however surely we are past the stage where we need to throw things at all british heads of state?

You think stuff was thrown at him because he was a British Prime Minister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I watched the interview. He linked Saddam Hussein and 9/11. Thats an outrageous, baseless, utterly disproven lie. He also advocated military action against Iran.

He didnt actually do either. You just didnt understand it.

Out of interest, do you advocate doing anything if Iran are on the brink of developing a nuclear weapon and diplomatic efforts at avoiding same have failed?

drkpower wrote: »
    He didnt actually do either. You just didnt understand it.

He did and I did.

And no, I don't support US action against Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure the same geniuses have been protesting outside Eason in Galway all last week, in spite of the fact that Blair wasn't there and wasn't ever going to be there. Same old crusty rent-a-mob.

As he said last night he made decisions on information he was given, the past history of Hussein & the potential threat posed in future.

This isn't a thread on the facts of Husseins regime or Blairs decision making. It's a thread about the loons pelting eggs & shoes at a man that doesn't deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

He did and I did. .

Clearly you didnt; would you like to provide the quote? Or at least paraphrase him and we will all have a laugh at your misunderstanding?
    And no, I don't support US action against Iran.

No action at all? Ok, that's one viewpoint; and a reason why people like you will never have any influence......anywhere.....ever.

As he said last night he made decisions on information he was given, the past history of Hussein & the potential threat posed in future.

And theres the "half truths" and "distortions" I mentioned earlier.

Having read the Butler report three times I know full well the "information" he was given and it didn't justify a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Silly playground tactics, I wonder was he scrambled by it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What kind of bicycle was he on?

• Advertisement

And theres the "half truths" and "distortions" I mentioned earlier.

Having read the Butler report three times I know full well the "information" he was given and it didn't justify a war.

Well given Husseins history I'd have gone to war on a 'half truth' as you call it.
    I'd probably have gone in on a Chinese whisper given that sadistic fcukers past.

What kind of bicycle was he on?

Like yours, only with two wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

We're a funny bunch. Tony B. Liar, Axl Rose, and a few coach loads of orangemen incur the wrath of the nation, yet we bail out bondholders and the ECB for the next twenty years and nobody even raises their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Pity it wasn't hand grenades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

We're a funny bunch. Tony B. Liar, Axl Rose, and a few coach loads of orangemen incur the wrath of the nation, yet we bail out bondholders and the ECB for the next twenty years and nobody even raises their head.

Yeah but those fellas know how to play the "gombeen game".

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »

Were he to die in such a fashion, the manner of his death would give him a sainted status he doesn't deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well given Husseins history I'd have gone to war on a 'half truth' as you call it.

Hussein's history included being best buddies with the U.S., coincidentally right up until the time he proposed selling oil in euro.

And where's this "half truth" ? There were no WMDs, so it was a "no truth". A lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I'm embarrassed by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Denerick wrote: »
    Because a few dozen student twats love having their day out.

The fúcking imbeciles.

Agreed. Disgraceful Behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Were he to die in such a fashion, the manner of his death would give him a sainted status he doesn't deserve.

I agree and I don't really think he should be blown up. Just looking for a reaction from some of the clowns who defend the past actions of Blair regarding the Iraqi invasion.

Interesting that shoes should be thrown...is this an aping of the muslim insult by non-muslim protestors or was there a large element of muslims there at the protest?

D-Generate wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed by this
    +1

Wertz wrote: »

Disgraceful comment! Leave the man alone for goodness sake there is no need for a remark like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Ireland has bailed out the ECB??

Jesus, Europe is in bad way if we are bailing it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Whatever your views on his policies and decisions regarding Iraq, you cant take away the massively positive influence he had on the peace process here.

No one is perfect or right all the time, I believe blair acted in good faith but the intelligence he was given was deeply flawed.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Those people throwing shoes and eggs in dublin are all Twats! its Disgraceful behaviour and a Embarrisment to our country. i thougth we were at Peace with england??? :confused: Outreagous behaviour thats all it is!!. This kind of Behaviour Cannot!! be tolerated and its Unexpectable

• Advertisement
Advertisement