Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes and Eggs pelted at Tony Blair in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

He will get the same response in London as in Dublin.
    The man talked of Saddam attacking London with weapons within 1 hour.
    The evidence was erroneous and he got it wrong.
    AND HE KNEW IT WAS WRONG.
    Yet tens of thousands of people died as a result.
    I am no leftie but I can understand why this has happened.

I utterly and absolutely agree with you on that. Phoney Blair as he was known to many when he was PM in the UK:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

So just to clarify, people were throwing stuff at him for anti-British reasons rather than anti-war reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Are you serious?

The people of the area don't want a highly dangerous pipeline near their houses,churches,schools and shops so they're "lefty scumbags"?

They don't want a deal by a company (which has KILLED protesters)and a CONVICTED criminal (Hi,Ray Burke) to completely destroy the natural beauty of the area so they're "lefty scumbags"?

They don't want to be intimitated by a private security company which employs extreme right wing thugs(like Mickey Dwyer and his fwends) so they're "lefty scumbags"?

There are ignorant scumbags in this country,but they're not the ones throwing eggs at war criminals or "causing trouble" in Mayo...

Oh come off it, will you? It has been the same group of crusties and terrorist sympathisers (32 County Sovereignty Movement, LOL) turning up at every protest for the last 15 years. Some people, like Boyd Barett and his herd of sheep, just latch onto any available reason to cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Min wrote: »
    The irony of the symbolism...

Shoes and eggs at a war criminal V's depleted uraniam cluster bombs on civilians

Yup its practically like for like :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

drkpower wrote: »

He said that 9-11 'changed the game'; it meant that you could no longer allow 'evil' regimes to hold weapons of mass destruction as 9-11 illustrated the potential harm they could cause; its a nuance you probably dont understand but that is not linking Saddam to 9-11, however much you want it to be.

Try & listen next time.

Thats not all that he said. I'd suggest the one with the hearing impairment is yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

These protestors are complete gimps. Tony Blair a war ciminal??? I have never heard such looneyism in my life. Yeah, he went into Iraq for all the wrong reasons, but to call the man a war criminal, when there are truly evil bastards out there is just silly.

And throwing shoes?? I'll tell you, when I'm in charge, these shoe throwing morons will be the first against the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=150746811621277

slightly off topic, but this made me laugh!

Ha ha, that's brilliant! They should move Bertie's to fiction while they're at it.

These protestors are complete gimps. Tony Blair a war ciminal??? I have never heard such looneyism in my life. Yeah, he went into Iraq for all the wrong reasons, but to call the man a war criminal, when there are truly evil bastards out there is just silly.

And throwing shoes?? I'll tell you, when I'm in charge, these shoe throwing morons will be the first against the wall.

I'd like to think thats satire.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"I feel the hand of history on my shoulder"

sorry PM it's egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The funny thing is that the current situation in Iran was directly caused by the UK and the USA. They overthrew the (democratic) Iranian government in the 50's, and installed a puppet dictatorship...The current loons in charge in Iran are the result of a later revolution.
    "Dealing with" countries doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd like to think thats satire.....

Seriously, I've got the wall picked out and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

Fo Real wrote: »
    Oh come off it, will you? It has been the same group of crusties and terrorist sympathisers (32 County Sovereignty Movement, LOL) turning up at every protest for the last 15 years. Some people, like Boyd Barett and his herd of sheep, just latch onto any available reason to cause trouble.

How about instead of calling everyone a terrorist or a crustie,you explain point by point how what I said in my post is wrong?

THEN I'd "come off it".

But since your main contribution has been calling the protesters terrorists and "ignorant boggers",I'm not expecting much....

The Rossport 5 haven't killed any children or levelled any towns with missiles,or sent British men and women to die in their hundreds in Iraq and Afghanistan.Why don't you save your bile for the man who has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

RobitTV wrote: »
    Eggs and shoes have been thrown at the former prime minister Tony Blair as he arrived at a book signing in Dublin.

It happened as he arrived at Easons on O'Connell Street to sign copies of his autobiography.

Activists clashed with Gardai as they tried to push down a security barrier outside the bookshop.

More than 300 people queued from early on Saturday morning to get a book signed.

There is a large police presence in the city and O'Connell Street has been closed to traffic.

Dozens of gardaí have been on duty in O'Connell Street since early this morning and sections of the main thoroughfare are cordoned off to traffic.

It is expected that Mr Blair will remain in Eason until after midday. All proceeds from the book will go to the Royal British Legion.

fcuking ar$eholes the lot of them, I hope they arrested the tossers.

Tony Blair is a brilliant man, and these pathetic good-for-nothing idiots throw things at him? Those sad-ass losers need to get a fcuking life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Shoes and eggs at a war criminal V's depleted uraniam cluster bombs on civilians

Yup its practically like for like :rolleyes:

Nice.

So if one uses violence you protest by using violence and then claim to be different.

Nice.

So if one kills civilians and levels towns you protest by throwing eggs and then claim to be different.

FYP

Nice.

So if one uses violence you protest by using violence and then claim to be different.

Eggs and shoes aren't friendly, but it hardly equates to violence. It's a display of contempt. Ideally this will follow the deluded twat until he retires from public life entirely.

Horse crap would have been good, but I'm not sure about its chuckability.....

Why don't you save your bile for the man who has?

Because, agree or disagree with the political decisions, at least they are attempting to do something. You have to be exceedingly paranoid to believe that the decisions they are making are being made for no other reason than to get people killed. Yes, it's true that in war, people die, but like it or loathe it, sometimes, it's the only way to bring change for the better.

These crusties are simply over-opinionated morons, with too much time on their hands and an over-active sense of misplaced morality. IMHO, they are morons of the highest order, and should simply crawl back to whatever hedge or ****ty grubby flat they came out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

If they run out of shoes, Clarkes is on the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's on the Guardian website now:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/04/tony-blair-attacked-memoirs-signing
    Tony Blair's first signing of his memoirs in Dublin descends into violence as anti-war protesters clash with Gardai. Photograph: Niall Carson/PA

Violent skirmishes broke out between protesters and police at the first public signing for Tony Blair's memoirs, with shoes and eggs hurled at the former prime minister.

Three men were arrested after they broke through a security barrier at around 10.45am today outside Eason's bookshop on O'Connell Street in Dublin, Ireland.

The demonstrators, ranging from anti-war demonstrators to the Continuity IRA-aligned Republican Sinn Fein, who oppose the Northern Ireland peace process, are now marching to a garda police station in the city centre demanding the release of the three arrested men.

Gardai had earlier dragged a number of demonstrators off the street and during the fracas a male protester in a wheelchair was knocked to the ground.

Protesters shouted "Whose cops? Blair's cops!" as they taunted the gardai while Blair remained inside the bookshop. They also shouted: "Hey hey Tony hey, how many kids have you killed today?"

About 400 people were queuing up around the side of the store in Middle Abbey Street to meet Blair. They were verbally abused by a number of left-wing demonstrators who denounced them as "west Brits".

Protester Pixie ni hEicht, from Dublin, criticised both the garda and the hundreds who had turned out for the book signing: "The police are west Brits who are protecting a British terrorist and the people queuing up over there should be ashamed of themselves. All these people buying the book are jackeens and traitors."

Following the skirmishes, the city tram service was suspended and shops in the surrounding area were also closed.

Buyers at the signing had to hand over bags and mobile phones before entering the store. Undercover detectives mingled with the crowds taking names before Blair arrived at about 10.30am.

A huge security operation was put in place around Dublin's main thoroughfare in preparation for the Blair visit. The northbound end of O'Connell Street was closed to traffic from early this morning while the city's main northside tram link, the Luas line, was closed down.

Plain-clothes detectives were also deployed around O'Connell Street as part of the security operation.

After the signing, the former prime minister was whisked from a side entrance of the store at about 12.40pm.

In his memoirs, A Journey, Blair defends his decision to go to war with Iraq in 2003. The book, which was released earlier this week, has become one of the fastest selling autobiographies on record.

Before the signing he had already enraged the anti-war movement in Ireland with comments on the Irish TV programme The Late Late Show last night.

During his interview on RTE, Blair warned that Iran was now one of the biggest state sponsors of radical Islam. It must be prevented from developing a nuclear weapon, even if that meant taking military action, he said.

Blair defended the decision to invade Iraq in 2003, despite Saddam Hussein not possessing weapons of mass destruction.

He tried to convince the audience that he acted against the one million people who marched in opposition to the war because he could not take decisions "based on those that shout most".

Blair, who was greeted by about 50 protesters at the RTE studios, also denied he had "blood on his hands" and said he didn't believe he was a "war criminal".

It is believed he chose Ireland for his only live interview since his memoirs' publication because he felt he would get a better hearing because of the peace he secured in Northern Ireland.

He said: "When we finally got the whole lot together, literally weeks before I left office in 2007, and there was Martin McGuinness sitting with Ian Paisley, and it was such a strange and extraordinary sight and it was one of the few times in politics I felt really proud actually."

I'm actually mortified that this happened - these people that were protesting are absolute gobsh!tes. And as for this one:
    "The police are west Brits who are protecting a British terrorist and the people queuing up over there should be ashamed of themselves. All these people buying the book are jackeens and traitors."

Calling Tony Blair a terrorist?!?!?! Get a grip!! These people are so thick, ignorant and stupid!

• Advertisement

Eggs and shoes aren't friendly, but it hardly equates to violence. It's a display of contempt. Ideally this will follow the deluded twat until he retires from public life entirely.

I'm sorry, I don't care how you dress it up. A thrown shoe, if unlucky enough to hit him square in the temple, could kill him. People die of freak accidents every day. If you throw something, you can't believe that there is NO chance you won't cause damage, or even death.

These **** are no different to the people they claim to disdain.

I wonder if Obama comes here will be have 'Oh Barack Obama is great' waves American flag, since he came to power the death toll in the Afghan war has risen and more people died from American drones in Pakistan in the first 9 months of his presidency than they did under the entire presidency of George W Bush.

People who go on about and love Obama are idiots, Obama kept on the entire staff that Bush had in the defense department.
    That is the change one can believe in, as they talk about attacking Iran.

Blair was wrong about Iraq, the war would have happened with or without Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Boohoo for poor Blair. I'm sure he's devastated that his loafers were covered in egg, I can't imagine where he'll find the money to ever replace them. That multi-million pound advance on the book surely won't cover it.

The only reason to ever feel sorry for the man is this:

It is a display of violence. It is a display of hypocrisy.

The Guardian article as posted above says: 'Tony Blair's first signing of his memoirs in Dublin descends into violence as anti-war protesters clash with Gardai.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

For a thrown shoe to take out two million largely innocent civilians is a bit of a streach

If youre going to insist on drawing out this ludicrous comparison between shoe/egg throwers and mass murderers you may as well Godwin the thread while youre at it.

This will only improve Ireland's image in the rest of the UK by the way, the majority of people there hate him (including both sides in the North). It's pretty ironic that his staunchest defenders are Alastair Campbell and apparently half of the boards.ie community.

Even the right wingers in the UK couldn't give a stuff about him, they're more worried about illegal immigrants than some irrelevant war in a far away place.

• Advertisement

Blair was wrong about Iraq, the war would have happened with or without Blair.

But he was a willing accomplice and helped Bush try to sell the enterprise internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Three men were Arrested for Braking througth The Security gate earlier on. Luckily i think the gardai caught them before they got anywhere near easons where tony blair was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Protester Pixie ni hEicht, from Dublin, criticised both the garda and the hundreds who had turned out for the book signing: "The police are west Brits who are protecting a British terrorist and the people queuing up over there should be ashamed of themselves. All these people buying the book are jackeens and traitors."

Pixie ni hEicht? PIXIE NI hEICHT???? Certainly doing her bit for the bored middle class kids stereotype there is our Pixie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Very glad I slept it today and didn't go to get a book signed as I had planned. Muppets.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    It's on the Guardian website now:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/04/tony-blair-attacked-memoirs-signing

I'm actually mortified that this happened - these people that were protesting are absolute gobsh!tes.

Funny,on the Guardian website most of the commentaters are congratulating the protesters with comments such as:

"The biggest threat to world peace is people like Bliar, who've happily connived in the wrecking of the economy and the planet. Good for the Irish to get the message in"

"Serves him right."

"Good job - if he courts publicity he should deal with the consequences (though he is too cowardly to do so without body guards).

I look forward to him receiving his karma."

and "Shoes and eggs? At Waterstones we'll serve him a "full English"."

I wonder if all those Guardian readers are in the CIRA? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Are you serious?

The people of the area don't want a highly dangerous pipeline near their houses,churches,schools and shops so they're "lefty scumbags"?

They don't want a deal by a company (which has KILLED protesters)and a CONVICTED criminal (Hi,Ray Burke) to completely destroy the natural beauty of the area so they're "lefty scumbags"?

They don't want to be intimitated by a private security company which employs extreme right wing thugs(like Mickey Dwyer and his fwends) so they're "lefty scumbags"?

There are ignorant scumbags in this country,but they're not the ones throwing eggs at war criminals or "causing trouble" in Mayo...

Some of the people of the area don't want it, not everyone in Mayo. The majority of these protesters are the usual rent-a-mob crowd bused in from all parts of the country. In the general election, the people of Mayo had a chance to elect a TD opposed to the Corrib gas project, but they didn't. The majority don't support shell to sea. One of the main locals opposed, Willie Corduff, his father opposed electricity coming into the area...
    And what about shell to sea intimidating locals who don't support, or people trying to work for shell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

I'm sorry, I don't care how you dress it up. A thrown shoe, if unlucky enough to hit him square in the temple, could kill him. People die of freak accidents every day.

I love boards.ie sometimes. Have a word with yourself though StompToWork.

Pictures::!!

Tony-Blairs-first-signing-006.jpg

15713714.jpg

0003aa3810dr.jpg

0003aa3710dr.jpg

Tony-Blair-Dublin.jpg

RobitTV wrote: »
    Pictures::!!

Tony-Blairs-first-signing-006.jpg
    15713714.jpg

0003aa3810dr.jpg

0003aa3710dr.jpg

Tony-Blair-Dublin.jpg

Considering they had to clear out all the junkies and 'street performers', thats probably the safest O'Connell Street has looked in many years.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    For a thrown shoe to take out two million largely innocent civilians is a bit of a streach

If youre going to insist on drawing out this ludicrous comparison between shoe/egg throwers and mass murderers you may as well Godwin the thread while youre at it.

So you condone violence, yes? You condone the use of violence to support or enforce your point on people? Throwing a shoe is an act of violence. It's just doing on a much smaller scale than the supposed actions which are being protested against

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL Great thread.

I love you all.

I'm outa here...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Oh leftie mobs, you never fail to surprise me with your hypocrisy & yobishness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Tony Blair is a nutter who was advocating an attack on Iran on the Late Late Show last night.

Well done to those protestors, if only we had more like them. Too many Irish have turned into apathetic, self-obsessed, vacuous, materialistic morons. This thread shows a good example of some of them.

I hope the politicians and other assorted gombeens who promote the "me me me" attitude and ran this country into the ground get the same treatment very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm sorry, I don't care how you dress it up. A thrown shoe, if unlucky enough to hit him square in the temple, could kill him. People die of freak accidents every day. If you throw something, you can't believe that there is NO chance you won't cause damage, or even death.

Oh FFS, shoe throwing or hitting someone with a shoe is symbollic in the Islam culture. By your logic I could throw a drowning man a lifering and kill him with it or any other such ridiculous scenarios from throwing things.

I love that he came to Ireland with the obvious hope of a really smooth and easy PR bonanza, leaving him looking a little bit better in the eyes of the world and a bit less like a bastard and instead all everyone will remember is him getting a little bit miffed about being called a War Criminal and then pelted with shoes and eggs.

Bad publicity is sometimes bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

So you condone violence, yes? You condone the use of violence to support or enforce your point on people? Throwing a shoe is an act of violence. It's just doing on a much smaller scale than the supposed actions which are being protested against

Your mistaking anti war with pacifist.

Tony Blair is a nutter who was advocating an attack on Iran on the Late Late Show last night.

Well done to those protestors, if only we had more like them. Too many Irish have turned into apathetic, self-obsessed, vacuous, materialistic morons. This thread shows a good example of some of them.

I hope the politicians and other assorted gombeens who promote the "me me me" attitude and ran this country into the ground get the same treatment very soon.

It has been well publicised for a long time that Iran will be attacked.

A plan to safeguard America's hegemony in the world was drawn up during the Clinton adminstration, it involved wars with Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Iran. To remove hostile governments and guarantee oil supply while expanding America's influence in the world.
    it sounds crazy but this is what is happening and Iran has been on the list since the 1990's.

Some of the people of the area don't want it, not everyone in Mayo. The majority of these protesters are the usual rent-a-mob crowd bused in from all parts of the country. In the general election, the people of Mayo had a chance to elect a TD opposed to the Corrib gas project, but they didn't. The majority don't support shell to sea. One of the main locals opposed, Willie Corduff, his father opposed electricity coming into the area...
    And what about shell to sea intimidating locals who don't support, or people trying to work for shell?

So what if Willie Corduff's da opposed electricity?I see this every now and then in discussions and it's tiring now for two reasons:

1)Obvious one this:Corduff isn't his da.
    2)The pipeline is a completely different thing altogether.The pipeline is an eyesore,and a dangerous one.How would you feel about a dangerous pipeline running so near to YOUR schools,pubs,churches and house?

And most of those in favour of Shell have been "manipulated" and bought off:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0903/1224278127697.html

Also,An Bord Pleanala have told Shell numerous times to drastically change its route.Are they a rent a mob bunch of crusty ra heads are they?

Wertz wrote: »
    Oh FFS, shoe throwing or hitting someone with a shoe is symbollic in the Islam culture. By your logic I could throw a drowning man a lifering and kill him with it or any other such ridiculous scenarios from throwing things.

I am aware of the symbolism. I find it hard to believe that symbolism was to the fore-front of the mind of the thrower in Dublin this morning.

To take my point to the extreme, yes, you technically could kill a drowning man with a thrown life-ring. Thing is, you are conveniently ignoring the context.

Also scuffles broke out upon his arrival at Eason's Where Tony blair was! despite heavy security.

20Cent wrote: »
    Your mistaking anti war with pacifist.

Anti-war, pacifist, whatever. For most of these people, it depends on the argument they are having whether they are anti-war or pacifist.

I'm laughing as I am typing this. They are all anti-social anarchists. Funny thing is, they would probably find that was a compliment.

MESSAGE: Guys you going off-topic And your fighting over nothing This is rediclious Fighting It ends now! stop now please! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I am aware of the symbolism. I find it hard to believe that symbolism was to the fore-front of the mind of the thrower in Dublin this morning.

So why throw shoes then? Surely rocks or golf balls or something more hard hitting would have been preferable if all the "rent a mob" wanted to do was physically hurt the man. Perhaps water balloons or rotten fruit would have been apt, but then people would be calling them juvenile or pranksters or diminishing the point of their protest in some other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Not that I think the Iraq War was a good idea or anything, but this kind of thing is just plain embarassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Is it possible to oppose Blair's unjustified war and these scumbags pelting him with shoes? Or is the middle ground banned here in AH?

Advertisement