Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes and Eggs pelted at Tony Blair in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

She's not the most articulate is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

god damn ****ing hippies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

She should f*** off to Palestine and do the country a favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Denerick wrote: »
    Yep. She is exactly the kind of imagationless, uncharismatic, uninteresting, hysterical little imbecile who inevitably gets a job on national radio. The same kind of follow-the-crowd do gooder student twats.

Wouldn't quite go that far.

I'd say she is a smart lady who uses situations to put herself about and gain some attention.

The fact that she probably knows fcuk all about the inside machinations of politics is probably not on her radar.

She will fool a few people in her lifetime I'm sure, enough to get herself a profile and a foot inside the door out in Donnybrook.

Doesn't fool this poster though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I wonder will she claim the reward on offer from arrestblair.org - currently stands at over three grand? She seems to have met the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Oh i get it now, you only condone violence when its aimed at individuals who you have an issue with. How Leftie protesters believe they have moral superiority over anyone is beyond me.

Two million deaths (last count) in Iraq and Blairs fanboys get on their high horses about a few eggs and shoes :rolleyes:
    hmmm wrote: »
    Maybe they should go live in Palestine, Iran or North Korea if they like their flags so much.
    So when are the Book signings taking place..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd say she is a smart lady

Cool, 'cause she ain't gonna get by in life on her looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JohnfromGalway

Seriously - that rabble on O'Connell St were an embarrassment, and no self-respecting Irish man or woman would want to be associated with them.

Blair does have questions to answer, but if you're going to protest do it properly, and don't get caught standing next to the hippy, student, pro-palestinian, pro republican, pro-methodone brigade.

Cool, 'cause she ain't gonna get by in life on her looks.

AAaaaah steady there Mak, she'd accept a bit of bell I'd say.

Give her a rattle meself:o

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Two million deaths (last count) in Iraq and Blairs fanboys get on their high horses about a few eggs and shoes :rolleyes:

Where are you getting figuers of 2m?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Where are you getting figuers of 2m?

He's full of sh*t. Don't mind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Whatever your views on his policies and decisions regarding Iraq, you cant take away the massively positive influence he had on the peace process here.

No one is perfect or right all the time, I believe blair acted in good faith but the intelligence he was given was deeply flawed.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    Good faith? I ain't here to bash anyone or to defend anyone. When i keep reading and hearing this being said, i keep asking myself. Why is having good faith in something good?

Its not. It leads to decisions being made without thinking about it and we are in the business of facts. Saying he acted in good faith, well im sure Adolf Hitler acted in good faith to Germany when they invaded Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

AAaaaah steady there Mak, she'd accept a bit of bell I'd say.

Give her a rattle meself:o

You'd get up on a gust of wind, Flutter.

2m lives lost?

I think it's considerably lower than that.

Point is that Saddam had to be taken out & the West needed a presence on Iran's border to avoid a 3rd World War.

You don't think that could happen? Do you?

2m lives lost?

Point is that Saddam had to be taken out & the West needed a presence on Iran's border to avoid a 3rd World War.

These people don't think ahead John,haven't you noticed;)

Those beer goggles can be mightily potent.

These people don't think ahead John,haven't you noticed;)

The US mission & raison d'etre post-WW2 has been never-late-again.
    It's been ugly a lot of the time, but who knows what might have been?
    Real-politikly it's better to be aligned with the West than the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

what is it with the gimpbuckets in this country getting all het up about tony blair , or palestine , while their own government is riding them to death in ireland .

would they get up off their fat h0les to protest about irelands rapid destruction ?

would they fu.ck

Morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

2m lives lost?

Point is that Saddam had to be taken out & the West needed a presence on Iran's border to avoid start a 3rd World War.

Fixed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A gust of wind wouldn't have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I have no problem with these people, watched the GG's myself but can't see why people would have such venom for them, even if you do hold different views.

Seems to me that when people post online that they believe Tony Blair is a war criminal and should be tried for it, they are told to STFU, stop being keyboard warriors and go do something about it.

Well, here they have and still they got called every name under the sun.

Scumbag students seem to be the consensus now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder will she claim the reward on offer from arrestblair.org - currently stands at over three grand? She seems to have met the criteria.

As Blair deceived his way into Iraq, and she deceived her way into Easons, they probably share the same psychological profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Breaking News: Tony Blair arrested today at Easons.

Good God, she is a ****ing twat

I have no problem with these people, watched the GG's myself but can't see why people would have such venom for them, even if you do hold different views.

Seems to me that when people post online that they believe Tony Blair is a war criminal and should be tried for it, they are told to STFU, stop being keyboard warriors and go do something about it.

How exactly is throwing eggs and shoes at him, clashing with Gardai, and calling people getting the book signed traitors 'doing something about it'?

Who are 'they' and what have 'they' contributed to this country?

You seem to know;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Saying he acted in good faith, well im sure Adolf Hitler acted in good faith to Germany when they invaded Poland.

I must have missed the bit where Blair wrote his equivalent of Mein Kampf and called for the utter destruction of a certain ethnic group before the war in Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tinkerbell wrote: »
    The people getting their book signed were there to get their book SIGNED. Those protesting "idiots" were there to throw crap at Tony Blair. How does somebody acting violent by throwing sh!t come in the same league as someone who wants to get a book signed by someone they admire?

Wertz wrote: »
    If someone wants their book signed, what's wrong with that? They hold an opinion of the author that he's a great guy, and they're entitled to that opinion, to part with their money and get their squiggle on the fly leaf.
    That's nothing for the rest of us to be embarassed about.

I never said that people weren't entitled to show up to have their books signed - of course they are, but I'm equally entitled to hold an opinion on them.

That was my one & only point.

So painful watching this rabble on Sky News all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

So painful watching this rabble on Sky News all day long.

click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Instead of having crusty looking hippies throw their sandals at him and trying to arrest him, why are people not putting pressure on those who actually have the power to charge Blair with war crimes? Why hasn't he been summonsed to Strasburg for violating human rights?

He either didn't break any international law or there's one vast conspiracy happening to protect him from prosecution, so which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

From the Irish Times:
    Managing director [of Easons] Conor Whelan said he was delighted the event went “so smoothly”.

Four arrests, one attempted citizen's arrest on Blair, eggs, shoes and bottles thrown...what are the book signings there normally like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

bytey wrote: »
    what is it with the gimpbuckets in this country getting all het up about tony blair , or palestine , while their own government is riding them to death in ireland .

would they get up off their fat h0les to protest about irelands rapid destruction ?

would they fu.ck

Morons

Love posts like this, such anger and venom at people who actually do something.
    Have you been living in a cave these past months?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TradeUnionTVIreland

I agree it's a bad thing when protestors throw shoes, or storm gates,
    or do anything that will give the opposition any ammunition, but 5 seconds
    of thought beyond the primal, gut reaction & it makes sense.
    A few people getting carried away with their emotions does not take away
    from the main point of this protest.

We have to give him credit for supposedly stopping something like this after all, right...?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Good God, she is a ****ing twat

Was painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

These protestors are complete gimps. Tony Blair a war ciminal??? I have never heard such looneyism in my life. Yeah, he went into Iraq for all the wrong reasons, but to call the man a war criminal, when there are truly evil bastards out there is just silly.

And throwing shoes?? I'll tell you, when I'm in charge, these shoe throwing morons will be the first against the wall.
    Notwithstanding your own personal assessment of his evilness or goodness, the conditions set by international law on becoming a war criminal are pretty clear. It really isn't a matter of comparative judgment or opinion.

You merely need to commit war crimes. The determination of what constitutes a war crime can be found in the Hague and Geneva Conventions and the Nuremberg Principles.

It isn't too hard to discover the list of war crimes Anthony Blair is considered to be implicated in. They include
    1: Deceit and conspiracy for war, and providing false news to incite passions for war, causing in the order of one million deaths, 4 million refugees, countless maimings and traumas.

2: Employing radioactive ammunition causing long-term destruction of the planetary habitat.

3: Causing the breakdown of civil administration, with consequent lawlessness, especially looting, kidnapping, and violence, and consequent breakdown of womens’ rights, of religious freedom, and child and adult education.

4: Failing to maintain the medical needs of the populace.

5: Despoliation of the cultural heritage of the country.

6: Supporting an ally that employs ‘waterboarding’ and other tortures.

7: Seizing the assets of Iraq.

8: Using inhumane restraints on prisoners, including dogs, hoods, and cable ties.

9: Using Aggressive Patrolling indiscriminately, traumatising women and children and wrecking homes and property.

10: Marking bodies of prisoners with numbers, writing, faeces and other degrading treatment.

11: The use of cluster bombs and other indiscriminate weapons including white phosphorous on “shake and bake” missions.

12: Supporting indiscriminate rocket attacks from F16 fighter planes on women and children in Fallujah in Nov 2004

13: Supporting the shooting up of ambulances and medical personnel in Fallujah in Nov 2004

14: Supporting the expulsion of the entire population of Fallujah save for young men of military age, for a reprisal attack on that city in Nov 2004.

If you do even a small amount of reading about the international laws that these alleged incidents (for some of which there is no doubt they occurred) violate, you will see that there is at least a prima facie case for considering a criminal trial.

I think Tony Blair is owed an apology from Brian Cowen for the idiotic, childish behaviour of these utter clowns.

Citizens arrest :rolleyes: Why didn't you try that when he was still in power? And if it was so important, why did people wait till he came over here to protest?

Surely if he's as evil as they are making out they could maybe have gone after him sooner to make their citizens arrest? This man is a dangerous criminal according to them after all.

Notwithstanding your own personal assessment of his evilness or goodness, the conditions set by international law on becoming a war criminal are pretty clear. It really isn't a matter of comparative judgment or opinion.

You merely need to commit war crimes. The determination of what constitutes a war crime can be found in the Hague and Geneva Conventions and the Nuremberg Principles.

It isn't too hard to discover the list of war crimes Anthony Blair is considered to be implicated in. They include
    1: Deceit and conspiracy for war, and providing false news to incite passions for war, causing in the order of one million deaths, 4 million refugees, countless maimings and traumas.

2: Employing radioactive ammunition causing long-term destruction of the planetary habitat.

3: Causing the breakdown of civil administration, with consequent lawlessness, especially looting, kidnapping, and violence, and consequent breakdown of womens’ rights, of religious freedom, and child and adult education.

4: Failing to maintain the medical needs of the populace.

5: Despoliation of the cultural heritage of the country.

6: Supporting an ally that employs ‘waterboarding’ and other tortures.

7: Seizing the assets of Iraq.

8: Using inhumane restraints on prisoners, including dogs, hoods, and cable ties.

9: Using Aggressive Patrolling indiscriminately, traumatising women and children and wrecking homes and property.

10: Marking bodies of prisoners with numbers, writing, faeces and other degrading treatment.

11: The use of cluster bombs and other indiscriminate weapons including white phosphorous on “shake and bake” missions.

12: Supporting indiscriminate rocket attacks from F16 fighter planes on women and children in Fallujah in Nov 2004

13: Supporting the shooting up of ambulances and medical personnel in Fallujah in Nov 2004

14: Supporting the expulsion of the entire population of Fallujah save for young men of military age, for a reprisal attack on that city in Nov 2004.

If you do even a small amount of reading about the international laws that these alleged incidents (for some of which there is no doubt they occurred) violate, you will see that there is at least a prima facie case for considering a criminal trial.

Links? And i'll only accept reputable sources. Not a wiki article or some ****ty anti-war groups website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aaah... the usual response from a lightweight who throws in the grenade and then runs away.

Maybe you might give some thought to actually doing something constructive,akin to Mr Blair, instead of shooting your mouth off on an internet forum;)

Good man.

Sorry for having sh*t to do on a saturday...

What could I do that's constructive in this situation flutter? I'm here to give my opinion on something and to put that opinion to those who may agree or disagree (or even to those who are "embarassed").
    I don't pick one out of context phrase from a post and go off on some tangent. Would you like me to help declare war on a country with no good reason whilst simultaneously running my own country into the ground then step out of office into a cushy non-elected position and write a book about it all? Yeah I'll get right on that.
    RobitTV wrote: »
    Wertz you have made Enough rediclious comments today! and were all sick of you now So i think its time you left the thread!
    Jesus would you ever go and learn to spell if you want to take part in a debate ffs. Your posts are painful to read and add little to the thread, screaming for moderators and such. I also wasn't aware you spoke for the entire readership of this forum. Congrats on that.

Sorry Biko, ban at will, but this kind of childish post puts flutter's in the shade.
    tinkerbell wrote: »
    The people getting their book signed were there to get their book SIGNED. Those protesting "idiots" were there to throw crap at Tony Blair. How does somebody acting violent by throwing sh!t come in the same league as someone who wants to get a book signed by someone they admire?

So you're entitled to an opinion but they (the protestors) aren't?
    They're in the same league because one is there to adore and the other is there to hate, both of those actions based on their own opinions (or the tribe they decide to follow).

Not getting into the anti British thing here.
    I never said that people weren't entitled to show up to have their books signed - of course they are, but I'm equally entitled to hold an opinion on them.

That was my one & only point.

Of course you are and that was my point.
    If these protestors had have just stood around waving placards or chanting, they'd still be getting vilified by the type of people who pervade this forum for being crusties, layabouts, provos or whatever else, than if they'd just started throwing sh*t and charging the lines.

The time for peaceful protests passed us by long ago in their minds (recall all those anti war marches in cities all over the world; yes peaceful protests are very effective)...it didn't prevent the war, nor anything that came after it...right now they hold anger and disdain toward a system that let it happen, and it's figurehead, Mr Blair is the target of their outrage...you may find their actions objectionable, but instead it seems you find their very presence and their opinions objectionable, which is complete hypocrisy. Not aimed at you starbelgrade

I think Tony Blair is owed an apology from Brian Cowen Daddy for the idiotic, childish behaviour of these utter clowns.

FYP
    Citizens arrest :rolleyes: Why didn't you try that when he was still in power? And if it was so important, why did people wait till he came over here to protest?

Well I think going outside Easons to protest when Blair is in Britain is a
    bit odd, I find it surprising that you wouldn't, I'm sure you'd be the first
    to voice the word "clowns" and demand Daddy issue an apology to both
    easons and Blair...

I'll just add to that that it is with dismay that I read about the demonstration this morning.

There are legitimate reasons to demand that Anthony Blair undergoes a criminal trial. These reasons are obfuscated by 1) poorly articulated, poorly stage-managed and poorly organized generic "activism," 2) the bandwagon phenomenon whereby fringe lunatics and questionable ideological groups appropriate the protest for venting/publicity, and 3) the process whereby the press unavoidably prefer to quote the lunatics rather than those with a coherent political message, neutering the activism by portraying it as the generic directionless rage of a lunatic fringe.

So it's "left wing" rather than a petition for consistency in the exacting of global justice and international law. It's "war crimes" rather than war crimes. The whole thing becomes a laughing stock. These people are a liability for anyone serious about the sorts of things for which activism is supposed to be towards. This is why I do not protest.

Our anti-war/global justice movement desperately needs more people with a dose of PR savvy, an imaginative mind for strategy and a coherent idea of what activism is. Maybe then people like Pixie Ni hEicht would be of some use; by turning up, she could add another body to a clearly articulated political message that could entice the fickle complicity of the spin industry. But she certainly shouldn't be the spokesperson for this movement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OK, going to read over this so expect bans if you were naughty.

We all play nice from here. No more snide comments and trying to get a rise please.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

So you're entitled to an opinion but they (the protestors) aren't?
    They're in the same league because one is there to adore and the other is there to hate, both of those actions based on their own opinions (or the tribe they decide to follow).

I think it was the manner in which they protested that ticked me off the most. I thought it was quite childish and yob-ish the way they carried on. Resembled soccer fans clashing. I think we have bigger problems in this country to protest about, than a ex-prime minister of the UK here to promote his book. Also why was there so many tri-colours? It was a very motley bunch i thought, loads of different agendas piled into one mess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

OK, going to read over this so expect bans if you were naughty.

We all play nice from here. No more snide comments and trying to get a rise please.

I Think some people Here need to be Taught a lesson and yes please Read over the forum Some "People" on this thread are making Some stupid and disgraceful remarks! Ive been calling for a mod for a while now! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I just wanna hug someone! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Biggins wrote: »
    I just wanna hug someone! :(

Cúnt/prick/wanker...

Oh shít, which side are you again?

Jesus would you ever go and learn to spell if you want to take part in a debate ffs. Your posts are painful to read and add little to the thread,

FFS, second grammar nazi on boards today using the grammatical
    nazification argument becuase they disagree with their opponent's claims,
    I agree with your post but you just destroy your argument coming out with
    diatribe's like the above, and it's even worse when you yourself commit a
    grammatical faux pas or two. Arguments like these are not arguments,
    they are weaknesses in your argument.

@FionnMatthew, as another poster requested, links or GTFO :D
    Sorry but it's hard to take your claims of taking the high route compared
    with the protestors today when you offer up unsourced factoids.
    Furthermore I think you've fallen privy to the biased reporting of what
    happened today by focusing on the few shoes and eggs thereby
    allowing the focus to shift onto the trivialities that every protest
    unfortunately brings in it's stride.

Min wrote: »
    It has been well publicised for a long time that Iran will be attacked.

A plan to safeguard America's hegemony in the world was drawn up during the Clinton adminstration, it involved wars with Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Iran. To remove hostile governments and guarantee oil supply while expanding America's influence in the world.
    it sounds crazy but this is what is happening and Iran has been on the list since the 1990's.
    Could you cite that, please? I'd like to know more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think Tony Blair is owed an apology from Brian Cowen for the idiotic, childish behaviour of these utter clowns.

Why was our Brian there throwing eggs too? If not then why has he to apologise? It's not like Blair is a PM anymore or is owed some form of diplomacy....he was there as a private individual to sign his book which will make him and his publishers a nice dividend.

Surely if he's as evil as they are making out they could maybe have gone after him sooner to make their citizens arrest? This man is a dangerous criminal according to them after all.

You know why. As a foreign leader he would have been under the protection of both his own security and locally appointed security both of whom would have the power to dissuade such attempts with any force necessary (probably including use of lethal force). Besides, the guy was here to sell his book, arguably making money on the back of his alleged war-mongering...that may not sit well with some people.

A citizen's arrest in this sense is symbollic...no-one being "arrested" is going to be treated in the same way as any of the protestors that were arrested in O'Connell st this morning...they (Blair) were certainly never going to face trial since no "law" has been broken.

Well I think going outside Easons to protest when Blair is in Britain is a
    bit odd, I find it surprising that you wouldn't, I'm sure you'd be the first
    to voice the word "clowns" and demand Daddy issue an apology to both
    easons and Blair...

Way to miss the point there fella!

Why didn't they go over to Downing Street to stop this lunatic when he was still in power? Too busy?

This was just an excuse for the usuals to trot out the same tired protest again and the public at large still don't give a fiddlers **** about it because most people realise it was a bad situation that had an unfortunate outome.

These people have no concept of global politics and the fact that it involves a lot of tactical decisions and pre-empting of certain situations. It just boils down to: WAR=A BAD THING for most of these idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

RobitTV wrote: »
    I Think some people Here need to be Taught a lesson and yes please Read over the forum Some "People" on this thread are making Some stupid and disgraceful remarks! Ive been calling for a mod for a while now! :)

Sorry we kept you waiting Sir.

Biggins I'll hug ya since I'm here.

Please report posts that may have offended you, thanks.

Advertisement