Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes and Eggs pelted at Tony Blair in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

galwayrush wrote: »
    The idiotic antics of the protestors were an embarrassment. What a stupid way of trying to get your point across, throwing things and acting like thugs.

Half of them weren't trying to get any point across. They were there to stir up trouble and that's about it.

Same as pretty much any protest/riot... the idiots causing trouble are there for that and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

easyeason3 wrote: »

And for anyone throwing eggs, shoes or even applauding it then just please take a step back & look at how ridiculous, backward & stupid something like that is.

it is backward and stupid.
    should have been throwing bricks and bottles, make a proper riot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just watched the footage on the 9.30 RTE news...Still no sign of any great amount of stuff being thrown. A bit of pushing and shoving and that was about it. Much ado about nothing, really.

He's on again in 4 days over the water, so doubtless they'll want to give him a similar reception. The bar has been set fairly low though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

In Soviet Russia, shoe throw you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

RTE News video about Todays tony blair events! Here)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

drkpower wrote: »
    Still havent managed to get that quote/paraphrase him, Nodin?:rolleyes: Didnt think so, as I said, it is entirely clear you didnt understand him.

I'll help you. He said that you couldn't take the possibility of military action off the table if all other efforts have failed; its a nuance you probably dont understand but that is not advocating military action, however much you want it to be.

He said that 9-11 'changed the game'; it meant that you could no longer allow 'evil' regimes to hold weapons of mass destruction as 9-11 illustrated the potential harm they could cause; its a nuance you probably dont understand but that is not linking Saddam to 9-11, however much you want it to be.

Try & listen next time.

Sometimes it's important to spit out something we find distasteful.
    Tony Blair is responsible for the deaths of countless thousands, this might not matter to you and people like you, all smug in your ivory tower, but many people do still care about things of greater importance than income status and car marques. Some people find the invasion of another country and the slaughter of children a vile act, well see...that bloke flogging his memoirs in Dublin did all those things, and you find it upsetting that people (lefties) threw eggs and shoes at him....lord the embarrassment of it,. Protesting is so, so tatty, really should be ashamed of themselves. I'd love to have the memory of a goldfish too, must save a person from a lot of stress, and guilt.
    Personally I'd like to hand him over to a half dozen grieving Iraqi fathers and see what they think would be a justice for them, I can't imagine eggs would be an option.

...religion class, back the 80's...that was a pelting there...shoes...books....bags..rulers...more paper balls than a paper ball factory....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Tony Blair is responsible for the deaths of countless thousands, this might not matter to you and people like you, all smug in your ivory tower, but many people do still care about things of greater importance than income status and car marques. Some people find the invasion of another country and the slaughter of children a vile act, well see...that bloke flogging his memoirs in Dublin did all those things, and you find it upsetting that people (lefties) threw eggs and shoes at him....lord the embarrassment of it,. Protesting is so, so tatty, really should be ashamed of themselves. I'd love to have the memory of a goldfish too, must save a person from a lot of stress, and guilt.
    Personally I'd like to hand him over to a half dozen grieving Iraqi fathers and see what they think would be a justice for them, I can't imagine eggs would be an option.

We should have some sort of poll in Iraq "do you wish the yanks and brits never invaded your country?" Wonder what the result would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I heard on the radio about the lady who tried to make a citizens arrest....God loves a trier but by the sounds of it she got booted out fairly fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

But seriously - why the Palestinian flags? :confused:
    Because it isn't a truly retarded protest until the Palestinian flags get flapped about

Wonder who they got the idea of throwing shoe from...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX-dKpcDz8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

eimearcmh wrote: »
    I heard on the radio about the lady who tried to make a citizens arrest....God loves a trier but by the sounds of it she got booted out fairly fast!

She came across as a complete twit.
    Bloody attention seeker.....'everybody look at me.'....

galwayrush wrote: »
    She came across as a complete twit.
    Bloody attention seeker.....'everybody look at me.'....

Its funny that no matter what manner a protester comports themselves in, you always have some grounds to slag them off....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

...this might not matter to you and people like you, all smug in your ivory tower, but many people do still care about things of greater importance than income status and car marques.

When you grow up and get out of secondary school/college you'll realise how few people care. Also, being smug about how much you care and how much better than all us peons with better things to worry about you are and then calling people smug is just hilarious
    Some people find the invasion of another country and the slaughter of children a vile act, well see...that bloke flogging his memoirs in Dublin did all those things

Ah yes, i remeber it well. All that footage and all those photos of Blair personally bayonetting Iraqi toddlers in the face. Oh wait, that didn't happen. An unfortunate side effect of war is that innocents get killed. Like in say, oh i don't know, London Tube bombings or when someone flies a plane into a building full of people. But i forgot, Westerners are evil and deserve to die whereas Saddam and every single Iraqi citizen, army and insurgents included, are saints on Earth.

You're probably right considering Iraq is a country where beheading is still common and rape victims get stoned to death.

Ah yes, i remeber it well. All that footage and all those photos of Blair personally bayonetting Iraqi toddlers in the face. .

So, according to you, the person who aids the start of a conflict is in no way responsible for the resulting deaths. Jaysus....thats an awful lot of people off the hook there....
    . Like in say, oh i don't know, London Tube bombings or when someone flies a plane into a building full of people. But i forgot, Westerners are evil and deserve to die whereas Saddam and every single Iraqi citizen, army and insurgents include, are saints on Earth. .

What, pray tell, is the link between Saddam, Iraq, the London Tube bomings and 9/11? Masonic lodges? Ley lines? Give of your wisdom, if you please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I was just wondering. Those who categorize Blair as a war criminal, who interpret that he broke the Genova conventions, I am interested in why, in these people's opinion, do they think he decided to take the actions that he did. Was it for power, money, women, ****s-and-giggles, or was he simply mistaken. People must have opinions on this, and I for one would be interested in discovering those opinions.

A previous poster alluded to Blair having a 'god-complex'; i'd agree it was something along those lines.
    Blair is an ego-maniac who couldn't face the idea of leaving office without having a big, definable, heroic, 'moment' to illuminate his 'legacy'.
    He saw Iraq as his big chance and would have done anything to convince himself and others that the invasion was necessary.
    Blair wasn't concerned with leading Britain as well as he could, dealing with issues as they arose and hoping that history would judge him kindly; he was hell-bent on chasing Churchill in the 'icon' stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

The computer you typed this post on, the lifestyle you enjoy living in the west, the fact that you'll have food on the table in the morning without a clue where it came from and many more modern luxuries..................

It could be argued you are implicit in the starvation of babies in Africa every single day. Why don't you sell all your worldly possessions, and then spend the rest of your life helping hungry children........since you CARE SO MUCH?

Get off your moral high horse. You are no better than anyone else living in the west. F*ck Iraq. They went to war, people died. That happens. If Blair turned around and said the war was about securing oil supplies, I still wouldn't give a damn, at the end of the day, we need oil.

Nodin wrote: »
    So, according to you, the person who aids the start of a conflict is in no way responsible for the resulting deaths. Jaysus....thats an awful lot of people off the hook there....

What, pray tell, is the link between Saddam, Iraq, the London Tube bomings and 9/11? Masonic lodges? Ley lines? Give of your wisdom, if you please.

if osama didn't have a face that was screaming to be pulled off by scoobydo to reveal saddam then I don't know what.

I didn't say there was a link between the two. I was merely saying that the innocent dead on the 'aggressors' (UK, USA, Israel) side are not regarded as highly as the innocent dead on the 'victims' (Afghanistan, Iraq, Palastine) side.

Its funny that no matter what manner a protester comports themselves in, you always have some grounds to slag them off....

I don't slag people off for having an opinion, everybody is entitled to one in modern society, this however was far from a dignified protest, more like a rent a mob.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »

Get off your moral high horse. You are no better than anyone else living in the west. F*ck Iraq. They went to war, people died. That happens. If Blair turned around and said the war was about securing oil supplies, I still wouldn't give a damn, at the end of the day, we need oil.

You've convinced me. I recant my anti-Iraq war stance forever.

(By the way, christmas is coming up and I need presents and a few sundries - I'll be round your gaff later with overwhelming firepower backed by a smug sense of entitlement to take what I want)

Bambi wrote: »
    if osama didn't have a face that was screaming to be pulled off by scoobydo to reveal saddam then I don't know what.

+100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Just watched that video that Nodin posted and sure enough Richard Boyd Barrett was there!!
    The reason someone gave for queuing up to get a signed copy....
    ''Em i just seen em, eh Tony Blair on the Late Late Shoe last night and i thought id eh come in and queue up''. Sure why not!!
    Interesting video though. I was away today so i missed out on all the media reports of it.

(By the way, christmas is coming up and I need presents and a few sundries - I'll be round your gaff later with overwhelming firepower backed by a smug sense of entitlement to take what I want)

You and some mates could stand outside santa's grotto screaming into a loudspeaker..... "WHAT DO WE WANT" "selection boxes!!!" "WHO'S TOYS??" "our toys!!!"

You've convinced me. I recant my anti-Iraq war stance forever.

Sorry, should you not be off defending the IRA somewhere. Ye must have sense of entitlement down at this stage. Maybe you could arrest a few of your own war criminals before turning on Blair. I'm pretty sure targeting innocent civillians is several orders of magnitude worse than collateral damage.

Loads on youtube if you wanna laugh.

I was waiting for a good ol' baton charge, didn't happen :mad:

Gotta love yer man in the red track suit top screaming "our streets"...accuse me of making assumptions based on a persons appearance if you will but he wasn't born on the same continent as O'Connell street I'd warrant...our streets indeed.

I didn't say there was a link between the two. I was merely saying that the innocent dead on the 'aggressors' (UK, USA, Israel) side are not regarded as highly as the innocent dead on the 'victims' (Afghanistan, Iraq, Palastine) side.

"side"? The Afghans aren't and weren't in league with the Iraqis, or the Palestinians. It was british born radicalised Pakistanis who blew up the tube. It was a bunch of fairly priveleged Saudis who did 9/11....Yesterday in Pakistan a group of Shia were marching in solidarity with the Palestinians and were hit by a suicide bomb that killed 65 people, launched by Sunnis (presumably Taleban).......

You might also consider the fact that those responsible for those deaths in London and new york are wanted criminals and condemned as terrorists. One of the people responsible for the deaths in Iraq was today signing books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The next time Blair goes somewhere to get People to sign his book This is going to happen..... Here !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

rednik wrote: »
    Now if only one Axl Rose was there I would be on the bus with some REAL bottles.

He's still in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Just watched that video that Nodin posted and sure enough Richard Boyd Barrett was there!!
    The reason someone gave for queuing up to get a signed copy....
    ''Em i just seen em, eh Tony Blair on the Late Late Shoe last night and i thought id eh come in and queue up''. Sure why not!!
    Interesting video though. I was away today so i missed out on all the media reports of it.

Indeed, pity he couldn't just queue up in peace without being abused by the rent-a-mob rabble hurling abuse calling them traitors and west brits

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    You and some mates could stand outside santa's grotto screaming into a loudspeaker..... "WHAT DO WE WANT" "selection boxes!!!" "WHO'S TOYS??" "our toys!!!"

Jesus no, thats hippydom. Its take out the elves with airstrikes and drag santa out by the beard time. Any reindeer that doesn't comply with lawful orders gets runover by the Abrams - which is tragic - but they deserve it.
    dan719 wrote:
    Sorry, should you not be off (.........)of magnitude worse than collateral damage.

Look, its not my fault I'm starting a fullscale invasion of your home. Its yours for not obeying my reasonable commands and giving me the belongings of yours that I want. You laid out the phillosophy yourself, oul flower.
    F*ck Iraq. They went to war, people died. That happens. If Blair turned around and said the war was about securing oil supplies, I still wouldn't give a damn, at the end of the day, we need oil.

"we" need christmas pressies. You have them. QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

RobitTV wrote: »
    The next time Blair goes somewhere to get People to sign his book This is going to happen..... Here !!

Sure you cant beat a bit of an aul riot

Jesus no, thats hippydom. Its take out the elves with airstrikes and drag santa out by the beard time. Any reindeer that doesn't comply with lawful orders gets runover by the Abrams - which is tragic - but they deserve it.

Look, its not my fault I'm starting a fullscale invasion of your home. Its yours for not obeying my reasonable commands and giving me the belongings of yours that I want. You laid out the phillosophy yourself, oul flower.

"we" need christmas pressies. You have them. QED.

I never said it was your fault. I simply pointed out that you support a bunch of child murdering scum, so I shall feel free to ignore any of your moral condemnation.

Now f*ck off to my ignore list.

You might also consider the fact that those responsible for those deaths in London and new york are wanted criminals and condemned as terrorists. One of the people responsible for the deaths in Iraq was today signing books.

The difference is that the attacks in London and New york were carried out with the intention of killing innocent people.

The innocent people being killed in the war are unfortunate collateral damage. It happens in every war, which you'd know if you actually bothered to learn more about the subject.

If these anti-war types had been around during WW2 they would have been shot for being traitors.

dan719 wrote: »
    I never said it (.....) ignore list.

"We" especially need an ipod. I hate apples stuff, but one of the nephews wants one....If you'd put it up out of the way in case it gets run over with the APC comes through the door..

(O - and "we" want to maintain a permanent presence in your area and make your neighbour nervous, so we'll be leaving a few behind in the living room and bedroom "for security" when we've finished)

The difference is that the attacks in London and New york were carried out with the intention of killing innocent people. ..

...by groups which are considered criminals, yes.
    The innocent people being killed in the war are unfortunate collateral damage. It happens in every war, which you'd know if you actually bothered to learn more about the subject..

As collateral damage is inevitable, it behoves the participant to weigh that fact when considering the extent of casualties versus the justification. As the war was sold on a false premise and conducted for what might be described as strategic reasons relared primarily to the US national interest ( amongst other things), the deaths were not justified. While you could argue that there is a lesser level of guilt, its rather ridiculous to argue that theres none.
    If these anti-war types had been around during WW2 they would have been shot for being traitors.

Not by the allies, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

I watched the interview. He linked Saddam Hussein and 9/11. Thats an outrageous, baseless, utterly disproven lie. He also advocated military action against Iran.

I too saw the interview and no where did he link Saddam with 9/11!!! Blair was fantastic for Ireland - how quick we are to forget how bad the situation in the North was! Without Blair I'm sure it would still be in turmoil.

Regards Iraq, he based his decision off incorrect intelligence. How could he be blamed for that? And what was correct is that Saddam planned to restart his weapons program. The UN is powerless and a sham organisation so how could any sane person rely on it to bring Saddam to peace?? We have seen all over the world how weak the UN is. Examples of such failure include Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Congo, Burma, Iran...

How would the world be if Saddam was not toppled? Iraqis living in permanent fear. Incredibly high child mortality rates, ethnic groups tortured and murdered, opposition put down with brutality.
    What I do not agree with what Blair did is to send in troops. That was always going to stir up patriotism and anti Western sentiment. What they should have done IMO is to back a rebellion against Sadaam. Which they should have done after the first Gulf War.

I also disagree with military action against Iran. Ahmadinejad and the mullahs should have been toppled after the last election. And they would have had the students and the opposition got external support. Unfortunately the west missed out on this fantastic opportunity and instead the ultra conservative mullahs and the nutter Ahmadinejad strengthened their hold on power.

...by groups which are considered criminals, yes.

As collateral damage is inevitable, it behoves the participant to weigh that fact when considering the extent of casualties versus the justification. As the war was sold on a false premise and conducted for what might be described as strategic reasons relared primarily to the US national interest ( amongst other things), the deaths were not justified. While you could argue that there is a lesser level of guilt, its rather ridiculous to argue that theres none.

Not by the allies, as far as I know.

What would you have done in Tony Blairs position?

K09 wrote: »
    I too saw the interview and no where did he link Saddam with 9/11!!! .

Yes, he did. He used 9/11 as a justification. Thats linkage.
    K09 wrote: »
    Regards Iraq, he based his decision off incorrect intelligence. How could he be blamed for that? .

Why was a man sure of his intelligence "strengthening" it before he handed it out to his party?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6472935.stm

Why was he and Bush planning on painting a US plane in UN colours to see if they could provoke Iraq into firing on it so as to provide a causus belli?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/the%20white%20house%20memo/161410

You didn't happen to read earlier where the US faction largely resonsible for the war declared that a US presence in the area was desirable, regardless of Saddams regime...?

• Advertisement

Maybe if they lived somewhere out foreign like england they would have been.

What would you have done in Tony Blairs position?

Have nothing to do with it. Try to get sense into the Americans heads. Try to promote a tight and as humane a sanctions regime as possible. Aid Iraqi dissenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

So painful watching this rabble on Sky News all day long.
    I was wondering where all the blair cheerleaders were coming from, it must be Sky propoganda, seems to be working a treat on most of you, I feel like I'm in Orwell's 1984 :rolleyes:

Have nothing to do with it. Try to get sense into the Americans heads. Try to promote a tight and as humane a sanctions regime as possible. Aid Iraqi dissenters.

Those hadn't worked though, and Blair said he believed that Saddam could develop weapons in the future which would be a threat to the West. If he genuinely believed that as one of the reasons for invading, then I can see where he's coming from.

Those hadn't worked though, and Blair said he believed that Saddam could develop weapons in the future which would be a threat to the West. If he genuinely believed that as one of the reasons for invading, then I can see where he's coming from.

I would be very scared if he was not stopped, i have no doubt he would have developed and used weapons of mass destruction if he was left alone.

Could you cite that, please? I'd like to know more about it.
    You could start here to give you an idea of what your getting into, it's a minefield, the more research you do, the worse it gets. http://books.google.ie/books?id=ezyLJrAu1SIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=crossing+the+rubicon&source=bl&ots=gfyRhGTxkv&sig=KopqK22UBOt3jQTxShuontV3l2c&hl=en&ei=O8yCTIWBOoqOjAeXko2PCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

i think everyone should go into their local easons and move his book into the crime section

Foxtrol wrote: »
    All the money Blair makes is going to a UK Defense forces charity
    So he can offset it in tax, tax free blood money, don't be so naive.

whitesands wrote: »
    So he can offset it in tax, tax free blood money, don't be so naive.

He's hardly gaining from it as an offset in tax if he's donating all the profits to charity...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The war in Iraq was not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

You didn't happen to read earlier where the US faction largely resonsible for the war declared that a US presence in the area was desirable, regardless of Saddams regime...?

The US already had a formidable presence in the region(which I do no agree with) - in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Turkey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement