Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

On his way back real.

What's your plan for the day, i'd say take a walk up the sugar loaf, no phone , TV, just do a bit of soul searching. Look at the sea over Wicklow from top.

Us Paddy fans would like just one day back in the sun :)

Regardless of how his round goes

Above is post if the month IMO lols fixed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He played the tougher front 9 in one under so has a decent chance of making up some ground. But Lowry is the real story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok Real , going to do you a deal (see that ;))

When Paddy is in the mix again on the Sunday morning of a major (again). I'll take that walk up the Sugar Loaf with you - I'll bring a beer or wine of your choice.

We can look over the sea together and say - you know what , this crazy life is not so black and white. Never give up - you never know.

A sign of solidarity between the warring fractions here - we all make mistakes in life. :)

Why are most Irish sporting greats so divisive.

Rory
    Sonia
    Brian
    Ronan
    Roy
    Stephen
    Sean
    Darren
    Michelle
    Cork

We are a strange bunch - " The Irish "

Anyway - I'll leave this debate till something actually happens again - will be a while yet. But, will for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Still at 66 on Race to Dubai looks like that's his season over unless he changes his schedule to play in Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Just back from hiking the sugarloaf, beautiful scenary ...

great few rounds by paddy, no denying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

And unfortunately down to number 98 in world rankings.

And unfortunately down to number 98 in world rankings.

I'm very surprised at that, thought he would have stayed the same if not climb up a spot or two !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I'm very surprised at that, thought he would have stayed the same if not climb up a spot or two !!

A quirk of the world rankings system, I think you need to finish top 25 in a regular tournament to earn any ranking points.

Does PH qualify for any of the 'final series' tournaments as things stand today? Can't see him playing Portugal with the PGA Slam event on the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just back from hiking the sugarloaf, beautiful scenary ...

great few rounds by paddy, no denying it

FixdeP and I were chatting at Palmerstown House on Saturday Real, we estimated that with 2 majors a year, he should beat Jacks Major record by 2020.... perfect vision :D

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    FixdeP and I were chatting at Palmerstown House on Saturday Real, we estimated that with 2 majors a year, he should beat Jacks Major record by 2020.... perfect vision :D

lol, was a bottle of JD drank between the two of you by chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Dero123 wrote: »
    Still at 66 on Race to Dubai looks like that's his season over unless he changes his schedule to play in Portugal
    PRAF wrote: »
    A quirk of the world rankings system, I think you need to finish top 25 in a regular tournament to earn any ranking points.

Does PH qualify for any of the 'final series' tournaments as things stand today? Can't see him playing Portugal with the PGA Slam event on the following week.

He should get into that BMW event but really depends on dropouts, a disaster for him that he has to rely on that though! He should have added Portugal to his schedule!

ssbob wrote: »
    He should get into that BMW event but really depends on dropouts, a disaster for him that he has to rely on that though! He should have added Portugal to his schedule!

When you look at likely earnings in Portugal vs likely earnings in the PGA Grand Slam it kind of makes sense (as a short term decision). He'd probably need to finish in the top 3 in Portugal to earn what he'll make for coming last in Bermuda. He's probably also getting appearance fees for the Grand Slam

However, it's also a risky decision in that he needs a bit of luck (a) qualifying for the BMW and (b) playing well enough to force his way into the top 60 in the race to dubai.

When you look at likely earnings in Portugal vs likely earnings in the PGA Grand Slam it kind of makes sense (as a short term decision). He'd probably need to finish in the top 3 in Portugal to earn what he'll make for coming last in Bermuda. He's probably also getting appearance fees for the Grand Slam

However, it's also a risky decision in that he needs a bit of luck (a) qualifying for the BMW and (b) playing well enough to force his way into the top 60 in the race to dubai.

I suppose the good thing about Bermuda is that it's an all expenses paid affair and even for last position there is something like $50k on offer or more maybe? Two days golf aswell at that in a relaxed environment!

But supposedly Padraig is not motivated by money any more so you'd think he'd try improve his rankings.

Whats his situation with Masters invite, was this year his final year or does he have 1 more year exempt?

I suppose the good thing about Bermuda is that it's an all expenses paid affair and even for last position there is something like $50k on offer or more maybe? Two days golf aswell at that in a relaxed environment!

But supposedly Padraig is not motivated by money any more so you'd think he'd try improve his rankings.

Whats his situation with Masters invite, was this year his final year or does he have 1 more year exempt?

$200k for last place, $600k for the win IIRC. Not bad for 2 days work in Bermuda.

I suspect he isn't all that motivated by money anymore but I assume he runs his operations like a top 10 player (huge coaching team, worldwide travel all year round, etc.) and is now only earning top 100 wages. He'd be foolish to turn the opportunity down. Plus its an opportunity to play against, and beat, this year's major winners in a relaxed environment. Good for the ego!

I think he's ok for the Open and the PGA next year but has to qualify for the other two. Unless there is a drastic upturn in form, I can't see him playing Augusta this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I was wondering when was the last time he was outside the top 100 in the World rankings and it was before the European Open of 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

I agree that he should have kept Portugal on his schedule. I think he's fairly sure to get in top the BMW as I think it may be restricted to European tour members.

I agree that he should have kept Portugal on his schedule. I think he's fairly sure to get into the BMW as I think it may be restricted to European tour members.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Not playing in Portugal because he needs to be on Bermuda for the Monday to play in the Proam before the Grand Slam, spotted this on the European Tour website, will need a lot of player to drop out to get in, luckily the cut off to remain in the top 100 is today.

Promoter of the event is IMG, think there still his agents so I would say that increases the chance of being an Invite if necessary

TOURNAMENT:
    BMW Masters
    DATE:
    Thursday 24th – Sunday 27th October 2013
    CLOSING DATE:
    Thursday 3rd October
    FIELD:
    78 players
    ELIGIBILITY:
    (a) The leading 60 available Players within the top 100 of the Official World Golf Rankings as of Monday 30th September 2013.
    (b) 14 Players as determined by the Chinese Golf Association.
    (c) 3 tournament invitations.
    (d) The balance of the field will be completed in order from the 2013 Race to Dubai as of 21st October. Blank entries will be filed for those Players qualifying through this Category.
    NB. (i) For any Player to have Official earnings at this tournament count on the 2013 Race to Dubai, such Player must feature within positions 1-110 in the 2013 Race to Dubai as of the 21st October.
    (ii) Tournament invitations in (c) above will not be eligible to have Official earnings at this tournament count on the 2013 Race to Dubai. (Exception: Any tournament invitation extended after close of entries to a Player who would have been otherwise Exempt).
    (iii) This tournament is excluded from the top 5/10 Regulation.
    FORMAT:
    72 holes stroke play event – no cut.
    PRIZE MONEY
    US$ 7,000,000

The minimum points for winning a regular European Tour event is 24 and a tournament with 24 points for the winner offers world ranking points down to 27th and ties. This week's event was worth 36 points to the winner and points were awarded down to 41st place and ties.

Padraig picked up a small number of world ranking points this week (1.208 to be precise) for finishing in a tie for 40th. If he had been one shot worse, he would earned no points and would have fallen to 99th.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

abff wrote: »
    The minimum points for winning a regular European Tour event is 24 and a tournament with 24 points for the winner offers world ranking points down to 27th and ties. This week's event was worth 36 points to the winner and points were awarded down to 41st place and ties.

Padraig picked up a small number of world ranking points this week (1.208 to be precise) for finishing in a tie for 40th. If he had been one shot worse, he would earned no points and would have fallen to 99th.

Good stuff abff, really appreciate your work on the OWGR.

Is it definite that 60 play in Dubai and that they replace each non-participating top 60 player with the next best ranked?

Edit - Sorry just saw the post above. One would expect Harrington to get in so

• Advertisement

Dero123 wrote: »
    Not playing in Portugal because he needs to be on Bermuda for the Monday to play in the Proam before the Grand Slam, spotted this on the European Tour website, will need a lot of player to drop out to get in, luckily the cut off to remain in the top 100 is today.

Promoter of the event is IMG, think there still his agents so I would say that increases the chance of being an Invite if necessary

TOURNAMENT:
    BMW Masters
    DATE:
    Thursday 24th – Sunday 27th October 2013
    CLOSING DATE:
    Thursday 3rd October
    FIELD:
    78 players
    ELIGIBILITY:
    (a) The leading 60 available Players within the top 100 of the Official World Golf Rankings as of Monday 30th September 2013.
    (b) 14 Players as determined by the Chinese Golf Association.
    (c) 3 tournament invitations.
    (d) The balance of the field will be completed in order from the 2013 Race to Dubai as of 21st October. Blank entries will be filed for those Players qualifying through this Category.
    NB. (i) For any Player to have Official earnings at this tournament count on the 2013 Race to Dubai, such Player must feature within positions 1-110 in the 2013 Race to Dubai as of the 21st October.
    (ii) Tournament invitations in (c) above will not be eligible to have Official earnings at this tournament count on the 2013 Race to Dubai. (Exception: Any tournament invitation extended after close of entries to a Player who would have been otherwise Exempt).
    (iii) This tournament is excluded from the top 5/10 Regulation.
    FORMAT:
    72 holes stroke play event – no cut.
    PRIZE MONEY
    US$ 7,000,000

This would be good for his confidence aswell. Who knows a Top 5 in a big money limited field event like this could really turn his year around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

This would be good for his confidence aswell. Who knows a Top 5 in a big money limited field event like this could really turn his year around.

Are you copying and pasting that for the last year or so

Hope he goes back to bob Torrance in the off season

soundsham wrote: »
    Are you copying and pasting that for the last year or so

Hope he goes back to bob Torrance in the off season

Not sure the coach is the problem. Isn't Pete Cowen the former coach of Lee Westwood and the current coach of Henrik Stenson. Two of the best ball strikers in the world. From the sounds of it, he is reasonably happy with his long game.

IMO he should beg Dave Pelz to work on his scoring game (wedges, bunkers, putting, recovery shots, etc.). Paddy hasn't had a world class short game since they got rid of the box grooves. He hasn't adapted well to that change and needs to try something different there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I was wondering when was the last time he was outside the top 100 in the World rankings and it was before the European Open of 1996.

August 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Thanks for that, I think he's one of the most interesting people in the country. It's time he was on RTE for one long interview. Just bit Miriam :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads am I missing something here.

Anybody got printed version.

Does the piece end with

"He would argue that black was white".

This is one time I miss a newspaper.

Even layout doesn't work as well online.

Love Kimmage but.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

love to see him win a major again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Lads am I missing something here.

Anybody got printed version.

Does the piece end with

"He would argue that black was white".

This is one time I miss a newspaper.

Even layout doesn't work as well online.

Love Kimmage but.

No that's only about a third of the discussion bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement