Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I always find people love to almost ridicule his view of golf.

I find it to be absolutely sound, he is not a natural, neither are most of us. No golfer stays the same, if you analyse, you change, because you are never even close to perfect.

And he's dead right, you have to decelerate the hips to make the most of the energy transfer.

I presume that straight jacket he advertises is just shilling for cash, however, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone know if full piece is on line. If not will get a paper of someone in am.

Would love Kimmage to get an interview with Mcilroy.

Very little chance till all legal and golf is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He is now officially outside the top 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Some good players just outside top 100:-

Padraig Harrington, IRL 102 Geoff Ogilvy, AUS 103 Charley Hoffman, USA
    104 Paul Casey, ENG 105 Pablo Larrazabal, ESP 106 Scott Jamieson, SCO
    107 Kevin Stadler, USA 108 Marc Warren, SCO

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Chunk missing from the end of that interview Saint

Good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Back to the short putter in Bermuda. Hadn't noticed it before now?

Got it from my dad today. Wouldn't buy Sindo.

Great piece. First time I seen yipps in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

m r c wrote: »
    Back to the short putter in Bermuda. Hadn't noticed it before now?
    yep just this week according to his preview on Facebook
    Got it from my dad today. Wouldn't buy Sindo.

Great piece. First time I seen yipps in writing.

Do you have a soft copy version?

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    yep just this week according to his preview on Facebook

Do you have a soft copy version?

Yes - the online thing was a bit of a head wrecker.

Was a great scoop to get Kimmage back to S.Indo. It is the only reason my Dad wont be binning it - I'll be up to him on a Monday looking for it.

He is the best sports journalist since Walsh.

I'd love if Paul got a one on one with Rory - no bloody chance, with Terry and her crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Trampas

Birdie all the par 5's but still managed five 5's on card

I still expect top 4 finish

Watching Grand Slam now - reminds me of Wicklow Golf Club (Sort of:)

Lovely place.

Padraig is a little out of place here - with 3 lads in good form.

Hard to say that - but true.

The lads -3 , -4, -3 - Padraig +4 hitting ball into sea. Missing everything on greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bermieblowin

My local course :D

Harrington looks pretty frustrated out there to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 51,887 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Harrington's game has really gone to the dogs.
    The poor lad looks completely out of place with those three.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Yes a bit sad alright, Scott wins by 2 from Rose with Dufner 5 behind and Padraig 11 behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bermieblowin

He seemed in good spirits after the round but that may have been the $200k talking!

Got a signed glove too :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He's playing utter rubbish. Sad to see tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PH to take an "extended break" according to reports on the radio this morning.
    Think that's just an extended winter break, think it's a good call, a bit of time away from the game might be good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    PH to take an "extended break" according to reports on the radio this morning.
    Think that's just an extended winter break, think it's a good call, a bit of time away from the game might be good for him.

They where talking about this on the highlights I was watching on Tuesday and he is taking 8 weeks however is going to be working on his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

TRS30 wrote: »
    They where talking about this on the highlights I was watching on Tuesday and he is taking 8 weeks however is going to be working on his game.

Is he withdrawing from the BMW, or will his break start after the final series (assuming he qualifies for any of the other tournaments)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

abff wrote: »
    Is he withdrawing from the BMW, or will his break start after the final series (assuming he qualifies for any of the other tournaments)?

Didn't catch the start of the conversation so not sure when the break is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Watched a lot of this, Harrington's game was fine bar his putting, made absolutely nothing! Had his putting been on he still wouldn't have won but he would have matched Dufner at least who is also looking a little uncomfortable on the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ssbob wrote: »
    Watched a lot of this, Harrington's game was fine bar his putting, made absolutely nothing! Had his putting been on he still wouldn't have won but he would have matched Dufner at least who is also looking a little uncomfortable on the greens.

Putting is the root of is problems. You can tweak the swing all you like but the putter......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

First Up wrote: »
    Putting is the root of is problems. You can tweak the swing all you like but the putter......

Absolutely. And poor putting puts far more pressure on everything else.

If I holed everything inside 4 feet my short game would be incredible, and my long game in turn would be far better as I wouldn't care if I missed the green so could swing with a lot more freedom.

Unfortunately, I don't hole everything inside 4 feet though and therein the problem begins.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

First Up wrote: »

Putting just goes at a certain age. And NEVER come back. Not sure that putting really is his issue (you dont rack up the number of double bogeys he has had this year at the choicest of moments just through poor putting), then for sure he is done for good. Could still have a few good seasons on the Legends tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Almaviva wrote: »
    Putting just goes at a certain age. And NEVER come back. Not sure that putting really is his issue (you dont rack up the number of double bogeys he has had this year at the choicest of moments just through poor putting), then for sure he is done for good. Could still have a few good seasons on the Legends tour.

Don't know if I'd agree with that.

Played a round of golf with 2 70+ year old gents recently, one who was playing off 10. Both scored very well, and not because they were bombing drives & hitting loads of gir. They scored because of their short games & putting.

Really, putting should be the last part of your game to go, as it'd the least physically demanding.

I'd agree from the perspective of confidence in putting is very difficult to get back once you get to a certain point maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

TRS30 wrote: »
    Didn't catch the start of the conversation so not sure when the break is.

Actually, thinking about it, there's very little golf on in December and until recently, he used to also take most of January off.

So, if we're being optimistic and assume he will make the DP World Tour Championship (which unfortunately seems unlikely on current form), his season will end on November 17th and an 8 week break would bring him up to mid January.

Just in time for the Desert Swing, followed by the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Really, putting should be the last part of your game to go, as it'd the least physically demanding.

But it's the most mentally demanding, certainly at the highest level. I would say that competing at the top level of golf for years is far more draining mentally than physically.

Tom Watson never won another Major after the age of 33, mainly because he lost his touch on the greens. A lot of pros lose their putting. Some get it back. Hopefully Padraig can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So he has spent the last number of year thinkering with his swing, and it turns out his putting has gone to pot. Given that his swing isn't back to what it was the chances of him also being able to fix his putting is unlikely.

Time isn't his friend at this stage either. I certainly think his has the mental will to get it back but the game is constantly moving on with new younger guys coming through every year. At the moment he is going backwards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement