Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

For all we know, Harrington's just happy to be back in the mix with two of the top golfers on the planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

GreeBo wrote: »
    just watching the tiger Rory match...
    Rory just dogged Harrington for slow play while himself and tiger were walking to the first tee.
    they were chatting about their fastest rounds and Rory hours "ugh, I played with Harrington last week..."

Poor form by McIlroy. Rest assured if someone said something about him there'd be a twitter retort within an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

For all we know, Harrington's just happy to be back in the mix with two of the top golfers on the planet!

It was McIlroy with Woods not Adam Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭abff

DuckHook wrote: »
    But sure why look at it this way when you have an ingrained stance on the guy.

If you were Harrington, would you interpret that comment as good natured kidding?

I found the comment inappropriate. That doesn't mean I have an ingrained stance on Rory. Or am I not allowed to make any observations without being accused of bias?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It was McIlroy with Woods not Adam Scott.

Two of the top, not the Top 2 in the rankings.

I haven't heard the clip, but based on words alone, it seems like a silly comment to make. Was his tone particularly cynical or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Here is the whole replay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifP9WAXbOQ#t=12

The Harrington comment is at about 2h33min. Turn down your right side speaker to knock off Chinese commentary. I personally don't see the harm with the comment and agree 100% with what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

some people really love to make a mountain out of a mole hill on here :eek:

Did McIlroy and Harringtons group lose time to the group in front of them last Sunday or is it just a general loose comment he made to make himself look clever in front of his idol.

I followed Padraig at The Open and the only shots i found him to be slower than average was over the short putts. He really took way too long over them. Having said that anytime his group came to a par 3 they were waiting on the tee so while its true he can be slow when you're watching him play the shot it doesn't necessarily contribute to holding others up.

We all know P.H is a very fast walker anyway :)

184589986.jpg

I wonder is he doing Movember this year :D

GOLF-620_1625269a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

SnowDrifts wrote: »

The Harrington comment is at about 2h33min. Turn down your right side speaker to knock off Chinese commentary. I personally don't see the harm with the comment and agree 100% with what was said.

Let's see if Padraig is "overheard" next week making a comment such as "Did you hear those two obnoxious gits making their macho comments last week?" I would agree 100% with him if he said something like that but I think he's far too classy to ever do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

abff wrote: »
    If you were Harrington, would you interpret that comment as good natured kidding?

I found the comment inappropriate. That doesn't mean I have an ingrained stance on Rory. Or am I not allowed to make any observations without being accused of bias?

Its hard to know what sort of relationship rory and padraig have but it could be close enough that this sort of comment (wether intended as a joke or not) could be banter thats been had before. There can be two way to look at this comment and as for the ingrained stance i mentioned see the below quote from yourself in this very thread.

Very classy Rory.

I find myself liking him less and less as time goes on.

• Advertisement

DuckHook wrote: »
    Its hard to know what sort of relationship rory and padraig have but it could be close enough that this sort of comment (wether intended as a joke or not) could be banter thats been had before. There can be two way to look at this comment and as for the ingrained stance i mentioned see the below quote from yourself in this very thread.

Very classy Rory.

I find myself liking him less and less as time goes on.

Actually, I never said I disliked him. I was delighted for him each time he won and when he became World Number One last year. I wasn't particularly impressed with how he dealt with Horizon, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest, his comment about Padraig irked me. I thought it was beneath him and hence my comment above. I'll probably get over it, but I still think it was inappropriate and I also feel that, on reflection, Rory may well feel that he let himself down by making the comment.

I think Rory is probably a very sound guy who we will all admire greatly in years to come. But I still don't think he was right to say what he did about Padraig.

Just my opinion. Doesn't make me a Rory hater.

If Rory plays with Tiger in an event and Tiger continually backs off several times from a putt (as he very often does), will Rory express his irritation in the same way? Or would that be a different matter altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Martin567 wrote: »
    If Rory plays with Tiger in an event and Tiger continually backs off several times from a putt (as he very often does), will Rory express his irritation in the same way? Or would that be a different matter altogether?

Hardly a fair comparison now is it ? I'm certainly no fan of Tiger, I think he's an obnoxious git mostly (from what we see on TV which is all we can go on, in private he may of course be fine), but, of all the things he can be accused of, I don't think there's anyone who considers him a slow player.

Rory probably shouldn't have said what he said, and some sort of apology or "clarification" will probably happen, but he, Tiger and PH could well be mates enough that its ok, or maybe they're not mates at all and we're only getting our knickers in a twist because PH is Irish. If he'd said it about yer man Guthrie we'd all be agreeing with him.

Much ado about nothing. Its not like PH being slow is going to come as news to PH, Retief told him so years ago !:)
    And its not like Rory's never said anything intemperate before, he's a bit of a loose cannon at times but gets away with it because he's so good.

On the contrary, I think Tiger is one of the slower players on Tour. I've always thought that and I've wondered why it doesn't get highlighted more. He regularly backs off putts and also stands over putts for 20-30 seconds without any movement whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Looks like Padraig is going to need a top ten next week now to make Dubai, McIlroy, Donald, Peter Hanson and George Coetze are all going to make decent money this week by just turning up which is going to leave him about 80k short of 60th place
    Prize fund in Turkey is the same as last weeks event in China and 12th place was worth 88k

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dero123 wrote: »
    Looks like Padraig is going to need a top ten next week now to make Dubai, McIlroy, Donald, Peter Hanson and George Coetze are all going to make decent money this week by just turning up which is going to leave him about 80k short of 60th place
    Prize fund in Turkey is the same as last weeks event in China and 12th place was worth 88k

Big ask considering he has not had a top 10 in 6 months.

Had his chance last week but blew it really. Dont expect him to do enough next week unfortunately. Nothing changes though, still my golfing hero. I still have Lowry and G Mac to follow in Dubai this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

It might be better for him if he misses it, may just force him to go back to the drawing board and reassess what he needs to do to make his last 5/6 years successful at the top level!

Unfortunate though! These are all high ranking points events with which a couple of good results could have him reaching for the Top 64 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Unfortunately Padraig is on the decline and it has been made all the more difficult for the Irish public due to the unsurpassed heights he has scaled. We were with him all the way due to our love of the game.
    There is an expression that says "even a stuffed clock gets the right time twice a day".
    This for me sums up how I feel about Padraig's form. Its not great but I don't believe he'll never win again. I hope still that he wins everytime he plays. He owes us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

shaneon77 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Padraig is on the decline and it has been made all the more difficult for the Irish public due to the unsurpassed heights he has scaled. We were with him all the way due to our love of the game.
    There is an expression that says "even a stuffed clock gets the right time twice a day".
    This for me sums up how I feel about Padraig's form. Its not great but I don't believe he'll never win again. I hope still that he wins everytime he plays. He owes us nothing.

So you are saying he has 2 more majors in him. ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

So you are saying he has 2 more majors in him. ;):)
    He might think so himself but I'm not so sure. 2 wins yes but as for majors........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ssbob wrote: »
    It might be better for him if he misses it, may just force him to go back to the drawing board and reassess what he needs to do to make his last 5/6 years successful at the top level!

Unfortunate though! These are all high ranking points events with which a couple of good results could have him reaching for the Top 64 again!

Back to the drawing board? He never leaves the bloody thing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

SnowDrifts wrote: »

McIlroy needs to stop licking Tiger's arse and maybe he'll challenge him again. Sounds like a prat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote: »
    McIlroy needs to stop licking Tiger's arse and maybe he'll challenge him again. Sounds like a prat there.

I think it's Nike's ass we are talking about.

Let's not write Padraig off. I think he still has it in him to surprise a few people.

After today's results, it looks as if Padraig needs to finish no worse than 10th to have a chance of making the top 60. Depending on how others do next week, he may need top 8 or better.

It would be great to see him make it, but I have to admit (very reluctantly) that it looks very unlikely at this stage.

Still, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

To be honest, it depends on the type of course he faces this week. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to really look into this weeks event. if it's a birdie fest I don't think he has any chance because he's not getting his wedges close enough or holing enough putts but if it's no more than 12 under winning total this week he has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I don't think it makes a blind bit if difference if it's a birdie fest or not... If it's not a birdie fest it means your short game has to be on song ... Which his is no way near to what he's capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I don't think it makes a blind bit if difference if it's a birdie fest or not... If it's not a birdie fest it means your short game has to be on song ... Which his is no way near to what he's capable of

I think it matters in that I have read in the past paddy say he never does well on the birdie feats, but on the thinking courses where you have to really grind out results, he enjoys and does better in. Which sounds about right too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

@2:54 of that McIlroy/Woods video Rory brings up the Dyson incident explaining to Tiger what happened. "Whoops" is Tiger's reply. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement