Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

finished +1 t91 at the moment.

looks like either weekend off or early tee times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Jul3s wrote: »
    People seem to forget that PH has won three majors, not one, not two, but three, if he never did another thing in golf, it wouldn't matter as he would still be remembered as one of the best.

I wouldnt consider him "one of the best".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I wouldnt call him one of the best either...

PH is having a David Duval moment, and it looks like he aint coming out of it anytime soon!!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Duval is -3, t12 thru 16. Unfortunate comparison :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I wouldnt consider him "one of the best".

What does "one of the best" mean?

Clearly, he is the best Irish golfer ever. Maybe that will change in the future but, as of 2011, there is no argument.

He is the third most successful European player of the past 100 years in terms of Major wins after Faldo & Seve. Therefore to call him "one of the best" European players of all times is hardly outlandish.

From a world point of view, Major Championships have been played since the first British Open in 1860. That's 151 years ago. In that time, 26 players have won 4 or more Majors. Therefore Padraig Harrington is currently T27 of all-time in terms of Major wins.

If by "one of the best" you are saying that he is not one of the 20 greatest ever players, then you are absolutely correct. Otherwise you, and the lady who agreed with you, don't know what you're talking about but you refuse to let that ignorance prevent you from expressing an opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_major_championships_winning_golfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The PH thing really seems to bring out quite a lot of emotion. He frustrates the hell out of me I have to admit, because you hope so much for him, and so often, particularly recently, he seems not to do the job.

In my opinion, admitting that what he has achieved in his career is amazing. To win three majors is astonishing, and saying he's disappointing is consistent. Equally, you can argue either way whether he's one of the best. If you judge it on numbers of major wins then there is certainly a fairly convincing argument. If you judge it on recent form, the argument is not so convincing. If he never wins again, you'd still have to say he's had a great career. But if that is the case, there would be a valid argument against saying he's been one of the best ever. Particularly when he won his majors in such a short space of time.

So come on Paddy, get your world ranking back up there in the top 10 and keep it there, win a few more tournaments, finish the argument once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KKmanok

He is just so unpredictable and inconsistent at the moment, yesterdays round had brilliant saves and birdie putts from +20 feet combined with horrible 3 putts (one 3 putt from 6 1/2 feet). Even with 3 or 5 wood he was missing fairways by miles and today already he has birdie, par, bogey, what will happen over the next 4 hours I have not a clue but I suspect a double bogey somewhere and likely missed cut ..........hope I'm wrong and he shoots a 63

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd suggest his mental game isn't good. He's fine technically, and is one of the games best ever scramblers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KKmanok

He didn't keep us waiting too long for the double bogey today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

2 birdies, 3 bogeys and 1 double on a round so far today. +4 overall. Early jet home to practice some more.

• Advertisement

KKmanok wrote: »
    He is just so unpredictable and inconsistent at the moment, yesterdays round had brilliant saves and birdie putts from +20 feet combined with horrible 3 putts (one 3 putt from 6 1/2 feet). Even with 3 or 5 wood he was missing fairways by miles and today already he has birdie, par, bogey, what will happen over the next 4 hours I have not a clue but I suspect a double bogey somewhere and likely missed cut ..........hope I'm wrong and he shoots a 63

Brilliant saves only last so long. He get up and down from everywhere and post a good score as the card paints no picture but this only last for so long.

He needs to go back to when he was winning but he could have made so many changes it could be impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

I suppose logically speaking, he is in the autumn of his career in terms of playing great golf.
    The average 39 year old professional is normally not as good as he was in his early 30s. On saying that, a lots of pros win majors in their late 30s like Phil and Angel

Very few pros win majors in their 40s though, I think Jack might have been the last person to do it in 1986 at Augusta.

But he is very strong mentally, and he looked after himself physically

I wouldnt be surprised if he sorts himself out, and reaches another peak or two before he drops out of the elite players.
    It's a massive test for him to find great form again, Im sure he will enjoy the challenge.

VJ won in his 40's

Yeah you are right Vijay was 41 when he won his last major

In fact he had 10 top 10 major finishes in his 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Vj ,who I have followed closely over the years, never makes excuse for his poor form/bad shots etc.

PH ,on the other hand, well, it was his knee this time,I do believe..
    Once PH snaps out of his make believe land and admits his faults and gets the basics right, I do believe he will disappear off the radar completely.

What do you think ,Martin?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

hawkelady wrote: »
    Vj ,who I have followed closely over the years, never makes excuse for his poor form/bad shots etc.

Once PH snaps out of his make believe land and admits his faults and gets the basics right, I do believe he will disappear off the radar completely.

thats a bit OTT isnt it. 3 time major champion in fairness. I'd agree with most of what you say there but not that. Constantly comes up with excuses, the reason he doesnt contend is that he cant hit a fairway especially under pressure. If your constantly in trees and deep rough it is very hard to score well. He needs to sort himself out asap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Trampas wrote: »
    VJ won in his 40's

Mark O'Meara got a couple as well.

Watson winning at 59 would have taken the biscuit altogether especially considering he was 34 when he won his last of 8.

OK, Jack won 1 major in his 40s
    Vijay won 1
    And Mark O Meara won 2

Taking 1980 as a starting point, 4 out of the past 125 majors were won by people in their 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Tom Kite and Hale Irwin also. edit: Ditto Ben Crenshaw.

And Tom Watson nearly won one at 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Missed Floyd and Trevino and didn't realise it til I checked but Payne Stewart was 42 the year he won his 2nd US Open, and sadly died later that year.

Major winners in their 40s are still very rare, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

hawkelady wrote: »

Touch a nerve with my earlier comment, did I?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts. Most contributions I've read from you are sadly lacking in the latter.

By the way, your second last sentence above doesn't make sense. Read it again and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

You'd think Paddy would have splashed out on a suit for the occasion..

And also a razor..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Parky2010

Not playing in the BMW this week.. injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

You'd think Paddy would have splashed out on a suit for the occasion..

And also a razor..!!

In fairness he looked happy, Obama is a golf fanatic so I would say he was delighted to meet Paddy.:D

ranked 50th in the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Does dropping out of top 50 have any consequences? I presume he has exemptions into the majors for a few years yet

he will have exempts for majors for a while but wgc will be out apart from m/play which is top 64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Anybody know when he is due back from his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

dvemail wrote: »
    Anybody know when he is due back from his injury?

I think he may play the memorial this week but he is definitely playing the US Open, remember Paddy is at his best when coming back from injury!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He was resting last week! Doesn't like the course layout at Wentworth & avoids the place regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement