Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Only 2 between them now according to you know who!!!

I don't have any faith in the scores they are showing. I hope the European Tour website posts an explanation and an apology. What a shambles!

I see they are showing that Padraig finished with a par 5 on the last after getting 4s on the first two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm never eating Turkish Delight

And Chicken at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Spent the last 5 minutes reading this thinking Paddy was back and scrambled for the remote, just as I switch over I read about the "error". All you can do is laugh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Turks. No way are they getting into Europe after this.

I'm never flying Turkish Airways -

That was 2 turbine blades

No it was 6 - sorry

Highly unlikely it was anyone Turkish. Would be most unlike them - super efficient country. Internal glitch in European Tour system would be my guess.

Maybe we should call for a tribunal! I'm sure there are a few lawyers out there who would love another nice little earner.

Seriously though, you do have to laugh. Makes me wonder why I'm paying Sky a fortune for their non service. I think a strongly worded letter to The Times is called for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Farce! I'm seeing a lot of mistakes on the European Tour scores in recent times, maybe they should try turning it off and on again?:pac:

But of all the players they could have fecked up on - he is one of the most watched in europe I'd say. And all from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I often note single mistakes on the Euro and Pga Tour leaderboards but to have 4 errors on the one card is fairly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

abff wrote: »
    Maybe we should call for a tribunal! I'm sure there are a few lawyers out there who would love another nice little earner.

Seriously though, you do have to laugh. Makes me wonder why I'm paying Sky a fortune for their non service. I think a strongly worded letter to The Times is called for.

Sky get their numbers from the ET. Their website was wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

OH MY GOD. I record the golf go out football training for 1 hour and come back to THIS????? absolute disgrace! I'm genuinely devastated. at "12 under" he would've definitely been in the coverage tomorrow as he would've been in the final 2-3 groups. so so disappointing from the European tour. nothing to do with sky, they even thought harro made that move as they were talking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Keep refreshing the leaderboard, maybe he will go back to 12 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keep refreshing the leaderboard, maybe he will go back to 12 under.

Just getting over it now.
    Had a class morning, first sleep in in nearly a year since the little one came along. Checked for updates here as I wiped the sleep from my eyes at about 11am.
    Then BOOM... Paddy was back.

I'm not a morning person but this was me
    http://youtu.be/y5G8AJf4Xzw

Recorded the golf, avoided the thread, changed a nappy or two and sat down and became this (without the laughter)
    http://youtu.be/S3ot9pETh7U

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Paddy on the Late Late now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Harry on the late late show now

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Just in, did he have anything new to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

He really is his own worst enemy i feel, listening to that interview.
    Sounding very defeated and dejected with the game.
    Saying that because hes won 3 majors and is over 40 that he's done it all, and has nothin left to prove.
    Doesnt have the fear anymore and thats why he's playing ****e!!.
    Personally think it just excuses, as he just cant/wont bring himself to admit he has made huge mistakes these last few years.
    Burnt out ! Jesus he only had a few years at the top - look at Mickelson,Woods,Jiminez, Langer!!
    Very disappointing to hear that interview tonight, thought a triple major champion would have more drive and fight than that.
    'Consistency is very overrated'!! can maybe see what he means in terms of maybe Rory as he will pop back with a win very soon, but a strange quote from someone who hasnt looked anything like a challenger in many years now!!
    Comes across as being very open and honest, but just goobledeegook nonsense half the stuff he says imo.
    Reckon if he was truly honest with himself and admitted his mistakes re. swing changes etc then he might start to come out of this massive slump and return to the something like the great player that he was and still has the potential to be.
    Sadly though i question whether he himself believes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I really feel for him :(
    He was looking at the floor for the whole interview. He is trying so hard to put on a brave face but mentally he looks shot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If you needed anymore proof that PH will not feature at the top then that interview was it. We can postulate all we like on here about his talent and drive but the main factor in his attempt to get back to the top is his belief, which is not there.

To be the best, to win three majors, or any major sporting prise, requires not only huge talent but a massive belief in your abiities. We have seen it with Greg Norman and others who were clearly good enough but never got across the line. People say its luck, and in some cases it is, but the very best put themselves in the position so often that luck doesn't come into it.

PH clearly has the talent. What he doesn't have is the drive and belief. Time is not on his side either. PH sounded to me like someone who had worked maniacally hard to get the to top and now is looking back with satisfaction rather than looking forward with desire. No shame in that, a great career to date.

Perhaps a winter break can recharge his batteries, give him the desire back, but I doubt he will ever challenge at the very top save for a freak Clarke style Open win.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Very insightful interview.
    Unless a miracle happens, that's the end of PH.
    I know all the fans here will boo and haa over that statement, but that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Interesting to read the views above. I feel as though I watched a different interview last night to the others commenting.

I didn't think he was negative at all, just extremely honest as usual. I certainly don't think he is lacking drive. Without doubt his belief and confidence in his game is not where he would want it to be and I think he explained quite well why that is the case.

He's 42 years old. Most players are well past their best by that age. Of course there are a few exceptions but they are a very small minority. Padraig has had a long career at the top end of the game. It's nonsense to try to suggest otherwise as one person did above.

I have no idea how he will play next year but he seemed very positive to me and I have no doubt he will give it everything. I'm just amazed how others can look at the same interview and see it so differently.

Also, I just don't get the "looking at the floor" thing. He made lots of eye contact from what I could see. What would be strange to me would be staring into someone else's eyes the entire time you are talking to them. He was making some quite detailed points which required some thought, not just spouting bland platitudes like so many others. I know I would find it impossible to speak as articulately as Padraig, thinking as I did so, while maintaining full eye contact the entire time.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm just amazed how others can look at the same interview and see it so differently.

I'm also amazed how you got a good vibe off the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'm also amazed how you got a good vibe off the interview.

Read what I wrote and stop trying to reduce everything to the most basic sound bites. Some things are complicated enough that they are not simply black or white.

I read what you wrote ...

There is over complicating as well which is exactly what's going on with ph IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Thought he did fine in the interview, and I thought he was very honest. I do not think he was looking at the floor either, It was a valid point he made about having done it all, and he is not that excited by it all anymore, it is very hard to call whether he can contend again, the right people around him could make him click.. best of luck to him.

Funny how people can interpret things in diametrically opposed ways depending on what their preconceptions were before they entered into a debate.

Without getting into the debate, it's interesting to note that Henrik Stenson was ranked 113 in the OWGR a year ago and 230 in February 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Martin567 wrote: »
    Interesting to read the views above. I feel as though I watched a different interview last night to the others commenting.

I didn't think he was negative at all, just extremely honest as usual. I certainly don't think he is lacking drive. Without doubt his belief and confidence in his game is not where he would want it to be and I think he explained quite well why that is the case.

He's 42 years old. Most players are well past their best by that age. Of course there are a few exceptions but they are a very small minority. Padraig has had a long career at the top end of the game. It's nonsense to try to suggest otherwise as one person did above.

I have no idea how he will play next year but he seemed very positive to me and I have no doubt he will give it everything. I'm just amazed how others can look at the same interview and see it so differently.

Also, I just don't get the "looking at the floor" thing. He made lots of eye contact from what I could see. What would be strange to me would be staring into someone else's eyes the entire time you are talking to them. He was making some quite detailed points which required some thought, not just spouting bland platitudes like so many others. I know I would find it impossible to speak as articulately as Padraig, thinking as I did so, while maintaining full eye contact the entire time.

Completely agree. He was only honest in the interview and it didn't seem negative at all. Playing without the fear as he puts it has been his downfall. I think he's worked so hard to get himself where he did and to keep that constantly going is mentally taxing for him as it would be for anyone. At the end of the day he's a three time major winner and knows deep down it would be extremely difficult for him to win another however he doesn't have to prove himself to anyone.

I don't think he said anything , we didn't expect. Well, he was honest, maybe too honest - he spoke in a stream of consciousness way, that is not always rewarding - but extraordinarily refreshing.

Yes - he is exhausted, Yes - he has tried hard, Yes - he has failed. It is the reality of life , we are not all, in the position, where we have to live that out in public.

He said he played with fear all his life, he is at a stage where he is past that. He was saying in a veiled way - he has enough money and exemptions to know he has done enough in golf. I don't think there is anything wrong with somebody at that stage of a great career going - you know what - i did well. He is 42 - he and most sensible golf fans are aware of the limitations and sporadic nature of performance at that age.

He is obviously going to have a low, as he is now - but he is such an unusual character - he is a guy who could have a big senior career.

But - he is not finished yet.

Even "Real" on here, for all the supposed brilliance of youth - could not explain the brilliance of Tom Watson - Darren Clarke - and Fred Couples in recent majors. I think anybody who fails to see that Padraig is going to be a guy in that field, is missing something about Padraig - He loves golf, he is not going to give up golf.

There is often, a forgotten reality of Padraig - he was a late peaker, a grafter - a sort of Roy Keane - but a nice bloke.

It is unrealistic to put Padraig in the same league as a Faldo or an Ollie.

But you know what - Padraig has more majors than Ollie - It really contextualizes any discussion about Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭deko43

Here we go again Padraig fans ... looks like PH is entered to play in South Africa for the next two weeks.
    Nothing on his own web site but the listings on europeantour.com have him playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

deko43 wrote: »
    Here we go again Padraig fans ... looks like PH is entered to play in South Africa for the next two weeks.

I would hope he is 1 week in SA and Abu Dhabi the following week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

As one of PH's biggest fans I'm delighted to see him back. Wishing him luck for 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement