Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

As one of PH's biggest fans I'm delighted to see him back. Wishing him luck for 2014!

As another of Padraig's biggest fans, I echo that statement.

Only 37 players this week, so a chance for a high finish and maybe even challenge for a win (hope springs eternal).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Absolutely, best of luck to Padraig in 2014. He is an institution and owes us nothing. Imagine what golf in this country would be like without his success and inspiration? LEGEND

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bundaegi

This Newstalk interview with Harrington is worth a listen - http://www.newstalk.ie/Padraig-Harrington:-Forgetting-fear-on-the-road-back. He talks pretty frankly about his battle with the y*ps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

bundaegi wrote: »
    This Newstalk interview with Harrington is worth a listen - http://www.newstalk.ie/Padraig-Harrington:-Forgetting-fear-on-the-road-back. He talks pretty frankly about his battle with the y*ps.

That's a very good interview. Very open and honest from Padraig. Hoping for a great 2014 for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Hopefully he will regain some of the game he once had and contend again. But I fear there's too many talented young guys coming through who just let it rip and freewheel on the course and don't get in their own way, like he has a tendency to.

Watching a few "PGA Tour Classic" shows over the Christmas and its amazing how many times his name was at or near the top of the leaderboard in most of the big events, World Series, Players, Majors etc. before "the crazy" fully took hold. He really was a super performer for 10 years or so.

Kind of depressing now that his fans practically wet themselves when he gets two pars in a row and looks like he might make the cut in the Antarctic Open or something. (ok, ok, an exaggeration I know !:))

I'm pro PH, not anti PH by the way !

• Advertisement

Just watching the Volvo Golf Champions and Padraig has got back to level par after 8, having been 2 over after 5. As usual, Sky's coverage of his round had been non existent. They showed Donaldson play his chip to within a couple of feet of the hole at the par 5 8th, but did not show Padraig at all, even though he birdied the hole.

I find this very frustrating. Is there any way of getting a message to Sky that they have a large number of Irish subscribers and an occasional glimpse of our hero would be much appreciated?

I spoke too soon! They just showed his birdie putt on the 9th. Or maybe they're following boards and this was an instant response?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great to have the real tour back on.

I've made a new year resolution that there will be no panic about Padraig - realistic expectations and take it as it comes.

He has said as much himself.

He is the most agonised over every shot golfer in the world.

Yeeeeeesssssssss Birdie on 12th

Joking :p:)

Now 11th out of 36 in field ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I echo your thoughts, brilliant to have the tour back on.

Did you know that the money for this event is savage. Say if PH finishes in his current position of 12th he'd earn €61,000. Lets hope he's steady tomorrow and he pushes on Saturday & Sunday for a top 5/10 finish.

www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014001/eventinfo/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I echo your thoughts, brilliant to have the tour back on.

Did you know that the money for this event is savage. Say if PH finishes in his current position of 12th he'd earn €61,000. Lets hope he's steady tomorrow and he pushes on Saturday & Sunday for a top 5/10 finish.

www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014001/eventinfo/index.html

Came 4th last year to win €111,300, same finish this year gets €159,548 :)

Extra 150K for the winner as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Showed very little of him today but from what we seen and from his round statistics -14/18 greens and 31 putts it's clear his putting cost him again. however his putting stroke looked a lot smoother I thought today on the course from the 4 or 5 times we seen him on the green and to be honest, the greens werent very good. very grainy and bobbly. there was a lot of short putts missed.

All in all a solid start to 2014.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I see he had the short putter today as well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I see he had the short putter today as well

His interview on Newstalk (it's on the Golfweekly podcast) was great. He basically said the belly putter wasn't much use, that he still had the yips with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Showed very little of him today but from what we seen and from his round statistics -14/18 greens and 31 putts it's clear his putting cost him again. however his putting stroke looked a lot smoother I thought today on the course from the 4 or 5 times we seen him on the green and to be honest, the greens werent very good. very grainy and bobbly. there was a lot of short putts missed.

All in all a solid start to 2014.

One of the on course commentators on sky was saying that the greens a couple of days before were bobbly but by the time of the pro am they were perfect. He actually said PH commented that the course was in perfect condition.

Thought his putting still looked yippy on one of the putts that he holed, spent an age standing over the putt but holed it for birdie i think. Hopefully i'm wrong, i'd love to see him holding the trophy come sunday. Come on Paddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yes, great to have the tour back on TV again. I only saw some of it - almost nothing of Padraig, and lots of Bjorn....who seemed to be having a nightmare. Anyway, good to see Padraig in reasonable shape after day one, and let's hope he has a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Darren Clarke looks very fit. Lost 3 stone.
    Gave 100 pairs of trousers to charity shop :D
    Fair play to him.

PS

Hope Harry gets back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Great start today -2 thru 6, I presume theres no cut in this since its a small field?

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Great start today -2 thru 6, I presume theres no cut in this since its a small field?

Yeah no cut, even last get 29K :)

RikkFlair wrote: »

....and then he shoots a 7 on the par 4 8th. Please, Padraig, please bounce back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

vienne86 wrote: »
    ....and then he shoots a 7 on the par 4 8th. Please, Padraig, please bounce back.

Could we all refrain from posting whenever Padraig goes on a mini run please.... I read it earlier and the countdown was on for the double bogey post :D
    The triple bogey spiced it up a bit, I suppose. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Yeah I jinxed him, I'm not posting again til he's holding the winners cheque on Sunday :pac:

Only a double lads ;) it was his old favourite a par 5 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Darren Clarke looks very fit. Lost 3 stone.
    Gave 100 pairs of trousers to charity shop :D
    Fair play to him.

PS

Hope Harry gets back on track.

100 pairs !?!? :eek:
    Dear god how many does one man need !!

alxmorgan wrote: »
    100 pairs !?!? :eek:
    Dear god how many does one man need !!

In fairness it is a bit easier when they are free.

In fairness to Darren - before Poulter was even out of his pro shop - Darren was known for his trousers.
    All black and decent golf - I like it.

Harrington seems to have had an up and down sort of round, but fair play to him, he fought back and got another 71, and lies in joint 11th. The leader board is quite pakced, so he is in the mix for a nice cheque and a nice start to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

What happened with Ronan Flood? Did he start out the round and have to stop or did Harrington have Pat Cashman on the bag from the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

http://www.golf365.com/news_story/0,17923,9785_9109535,00.html

Ronan Flood collapsed on the 6th hole today. Hopefully he's ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No wonder he doubled 7

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    http://www.golf365.com/news_story/0,17923,9785_9109535,00.html

Ronan Flood collapsed on the 6th hole today. Hopefully he's ok now.

Never spotted that, though I only watched some of the coverage. That will have been a big distraction for Harrington, which makes is recovery for a 71 all the more commendable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement