Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Solid round of golf today with 15 pars, 2 birdies and a bogey. Thats real golf on a brutally long US Open-esque course this week. Impossible to tell how he played without any statistics up yet and very little tv coverage yet again this morning.

Only 2 birdies might suggest he didnt have his best putting day again but he couldve been holing out well for par also. Either way its a solid start and his 5th under par round in a row to start the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

it's great to see him showing some form again and keeps the farther in law quiet from slagging him off. i reckon he is a good each way bet if entered for phoenix open at the end of month. played well up to last round last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Flirting with a MC today. Bigger field this week is definitely more representative of where his game is at. Work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Very unPadraig like, only 2 bogeys and 2 birdies in 28 holes :p and pars on all 7 par 5's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

and he god damn misses the cut by just one shot, how frustrating. Very very unlucky this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

and he god damn misses the cut by just one shot, how frustrating. Very very unlucky this week.

That's really disappointing. And Sky actually showed him a fair bit yesterday - it was great to see him playing well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Very very unlucky this week.

For the 56th week in a row :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

Yea but but but... next week it's going to be different:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This a funny thread in fairness when you read through. You have the regular posters who comment on his form regardless then you the guys who only comment after the poor rounds. You can nearly tell how he got on by just looking at the name that posted last :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

it brings out some comedians alright!

This a funny thread in fairness when you read through. You have the regular posters who comment on his form regardless then you the guys who only comment after the poor rounds. You can nearly tell how he got on by just looking at the name that posted last :-)
    Yes nice collection of realists and dreamers on here, about the same as there are in real life...huh what...go figure.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    it brings out some comedians alright!
    Glad to see you're over the hump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

who said i was?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

2 birdies in 36 holes, one an 18in tap-in, putts /greens in regulation= 1.917, will not cut it any week, trowing away shots on the greens, unless there is a huge improvement in this department he cannot recover. Looks uneasy over putts, seems there are still some "old wounds" there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

you have the guys who only comment after the poor rounds.

Nope, I've only made 600 posts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

There's definitely a group of members who always look on the bright side and are guilty of over optimism at times (I guess I have to plead guilty to falling into that camp from time to time). There's also a group who seem to delight in any misfortune that befalls Padraig and use it as an opportunity to tell his fans what idiots they are.

I would much prefer it if that particular group stuck to the soccer forums where that kind of 'banter' is par for the course, but I guess it's a free world and if they want to post here, then that's their right (even if it annoys the sh*te out of all decent, normal people).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

abff wrote: »
    There's definitely a group of members who always look on the bright side and are guilty of over optimism at times (I guess I have to plead guilty to falling into that camp from time to time). There's also a group who seem to delight in any misfortune that befalls Padraig and use it as an opportunity to tell his fans what idiots they are.

I would much prefer it if that particular group stuck to the soccer forums where that kind of 'banter' is par for the course, but I guess it's a free world and if they want to post here, then that's their right (even if it annoys the sh*te out of all decent, normal people).

I think i'm a decent normal person and I don't let it annoy me.
    I also don't like to see someone trying to direct people to the soccer forum as if that's a place for fools or undesirables.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and if they differ from ours it's just tough luck. We are all individuals with varying opinions and that to me is a good thing.

I think i'm a decent normal person and I don't let it annoy me.
    I also don't like to see someone trying to direct people to the soccer forum as if that's a place for fools or undesirables.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and if they differ from ours it's just tough luck. We are all individuals with varying opinions and that to me is a good thing.

OK, the remark in brackets was tongue in cheek and a bit provocative, but I do find it bewildering that some people seem to take pleasure in Padraig's misfortunes.

Regarding my soccer forum comment, there are a lot of people on there who make sensible contributions but there are also a significant proportion who seem to spend most of their time baiting supporters of other teams (particularly local rivals). This kind of behaviour is childish, but quite commonplace in soccer forums. The point I was trying to make was that I would expect better from golf fans (although I have no logical reason for making that assumption).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

abff wrote: »
    OK, the remark in brackets was tongue in cheek and a bit provocative, but I do find it bewildering that some people seem to take pleasure in Padraig's misfortunes.

Regarding my soccer forum comment, there are a lot of people on there who make sensible contributions but there are also a significant proportion who seem to spend most of their time baiting supporters of other teams (particularly local rivals). This kind of behaviour is childish, but quite commonplace in soccer forums. The point I was trying to make was that I would expect better from golf fans (although I have no logical reason for making that assumption).

Personally I like Padraig and I know members of his family.

On a golfing level I will never understand how his game has gone. From great play to very bad. I blame the tinkering but can understand the search for perfection.
    Genuinely hope he comes back to his best but unfortunately i believe he will not.
    I would never wallow in someone's demise though.

• Advertisement

I think you and I have a similar take on things. I worked with Dermot many years ago and have been a huge fan of Padraig's ever since he turned professional. I still remember my disappointment when Thomas Bjorn got rookie of the year instead of Padraig.

You were definitely not my target when I posted my somewhat provocative post and I probably should have been a bit more measured in my comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yea but but but... next week it's going to be different:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

You two were very quiet last weekend. Pretty lame attempt at trolling really :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: one more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

It is funny. But people turn up on this thread when P has a bad week (so most weeks then), not to take any glee in the decline of a great golfer, but to enjoy the surreal blind faith of some of his fans. The fans mistakenly think people are laughing at Harrington- in fact they are laughing at the fans and their undentable optimism in the face of all evidence to the contrary: 'very unlucky', 'played great except for those three double bogeys', 'tee to green he is better than ever', 'still, it might have been a 4 man tournament but a win is a win- he is on the way back',.....

Sandwlch wrote: »
    It is funny. But people turn up on this thread when P has a bad week (so most weeks then), not to take any glee in the decline of a great golfer, but to enjoy the surreal blind faith of some of his fans. The fans mistakenly think people are laughing at Harrington- in fact they are laughing at the fans and their undentable optimism in the face of all evidence to the contrary: 'very unlucky', 'played great except for those three double bogeys', 'tee to green he is better than ever', 'still, it might have been a 4 man tournament but a win is a win- he is on the way back',.....
    That's it in a nutshell, but it's more fun when you don't have to explain it:pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

You're right. For years I went through "he's a loser" when I incessantly followed Padraig as a golfer. When he won the majors, they shut up, the more gracious ones conceded they were wrong. Or else just confessed they were delighted for me that he had won a major and that they were winding me up all along.

I won't always post on this thread, but I do have a "blind faith" in Harrington, perhaps if only to relive the joy in seeing a great ambassador for Ireland winning again. Less than 18 months ago, he was one great shot away from nearly winning a US Open. That's hope enough for me that, while maybe unlikely, it's possible.

May I wish you all the best in "laughing at the fans and their undentable optimism", I hope it brings you as much joy in a twisted way as following Padraig does to the rest of us. I admire their "undentable optimism". May I also wish you all the best in the future in finding something more fulfilling to do with your time than laughing at people you deem foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That's it in a nutshell, but it's more fun when you don't have to explain it:pac::pac:.

This whole thread really does confuse the life out of me. I mean Padraig Harrington is one of the country's greatest ever sportsmen who is an ambassador for the game I presume most people here enjoy in some capacity as well as the country. He seems like a genuinely nice person on top of all this. So people are naturally going to take an interest in him.

Why somebody would then go out of their way to laugh at somebody for supporting a person is truly beyond me. If wishing a man that I respect immensely well is worthy of laughter then I will quite happily be laughed at :)

newport2 wrote: »
    May I wish you all the best in "laughing at the fans and their undentable optimism", I hope it brings you as much joy in a twisted way as following Padraig does to the rest of us. I admire their "undentable optimism". May I also wish you all the best in the future in finding something more fulfilling to do with your time than laughing at people you deem foolish.

Well said. I was trying to come up with a suitable response to that post (without having to resort to further comparisons with soccer fans) but I think your final sentence sums it up perfectly.

The expression "more to be pitied than scorned" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ignore it lads...
    Don't get yourselves in trouble over trolls.

Good advice Greebo. I really shouldn't let them wind me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

He's back tomorrow night. Don't expect him in the tv coverage though. He's paired with Kris Blanks and Fred Funk at 11.49a.m in Arizona so 6:49p.m our time I think.

Coverage will probably start at 8pm on Sky but barring a low first round we won't get to see any of him. It will centre around the marquee group. I'll be glued to shot tracker.

Regarding the "undentable optimism" I think its ok to be optimistic about a 5th place finish to start the year. Abu Dhabi was a strange week. Henrik Stenson and a host of other notables missed the cut aswel and Mickelson made it by one and nearly won the event.

I just hope we don't get the same nay-sayers singing when he's winning again......I mean if he wins again.....I mean when...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement