Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

He did well in this tournament last year, finishing tied 9th. Something similar this year would be great, although he tends to struggle in these birdie fests.

As Johnny says, it will be interesting to how the nay-sayers react when he starts winning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

abff wrote: »
    He did well in this tournament last year, finishing tied 9th. Something similar this year would be great, although he tends to struggle in these birdie fests.

As Johnny says, it will be interesting to how the nay-sayers react when he starts winning again.

Seriously, what's that got to do with anything ? Do you want Padraig to win again or do you want to gloat at other anonymous posters on the internet ?

Just because someone points out that's there's basically zero evidence that he'll start winning anytime soon, they're a naysayer ?

I hope he wins again, I hope he somehow picks up a US Open and a Masters to complete a career slam, I'd say 99% of posters want him to rediscover his form. It doesn't mean I can't see that its extremely unlikely, based on current form. I hope I'm wrong.

Rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

I want him to win again. Rubbing it in would be an added bonus. I've had people tell me I'm an idiot for my continuous support of Padraig. Throwing quotes like "he's a joke now, an embarrassment" referring to all of his tinkering/glasses/putting/long putter etc.

Why not concentrate on his positives if your a supporter of him? Anybody that has watched him over his career knows his long game genuinely is better than ever. His putting has admittedly been that of a 15 handicapper over the past 3 years and that plus the groove change have been the sole reasons for his demise.

If he plays terrible one week I'm the first to admit it, but when there's positives in his game il also notice them. I'd prefer to concentrate on the latter. There's nothing delusional about that is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I want him to win again. Rubbing it in would be an added bonus. I've had people tell me I'm an idiot for my continuous support of Padraig. Throwing quotes like "he's a joke now, an embarrassment" referring to all of his tinkering/glasses/putting/long putter etc.

Why not concentrate on his positives if your a supporter of him? Anybody that has watched him over his career knows his long game genuinely is better than ever. His putting has admittedly been that of a 15 handicapper over the past 3 years and that plus the groove change have been the sole reasons for his demise.

If he plays terrible one week I'm the first to admit it, but when there's positives in his game il also notice them. I'd prefer to concentrate on the latter. There's nothing delusional about that is there?

Delusional is a strong word, I'd also stray away from laughing at him, or saying he's an embarrassment. It can be hard to watch or to listen to at times though!

As for writing him off, not too many have come back from where he is at with his putting. Some conclude then that its fair to say he's gone, some hope for a return.

On both counts it really just depends what type of person you are and how your like to express yourself I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

No, you're not an idiot for supporting him or an other player, absolutely not.

In fairness, he did drift into "joke" territory a couple of years ago. The swing jacket, the glasses, the brain analyser, the spirit level on the greens etc. Every sensible question to him was answered with "....that's just who I am...."

I try to be a bit objective and not just see the positives. I hope he wins plenty more events, he seems to be back on the straight and narrow this season so maybe there's hope. I have a fear that the new generation are just too many and just too good for him, especially on birdie fest courses which makes me hope he might steal a US Open or big event on a tough course where par is king. Then again, that type of course typically puts a lot of pressure on the short game so.........

Maybe there are positives in his game right now, he's probably better than he was 2 years ago. And I'd love for him to win another major while more celebrated players in the media like Westy and Donald still haven't got one (and likely never will). But, a pairing of Kris Blanks and Fred Funk is probably indicative of how he's viewed at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I would love to see him win again. He is my favourite irish golfer and our only major winner. Hope he wins a comp this year or maybe 2. Be nice to see him finish even top 15 in a major. We all know he has problems, he practices too much, thinks too much about things but that's just the way he is. Hopefully it will click for him soon

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Padraig owes us nothing. How long did we wait for even a winner of the Irish Open? Then the Irish Open and three majors in a couple of years... more golfing success by an Irishman than we could of dreamed of growing up. Always indebted to Padraig for those never to be forgotten glorious days. And a gentleman to boot. Will always support Padraig Harrington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

What's the story with the Masters for Padraig this year anyone know?

Russman wrote: »
    Seriously, what's that got to do with anything ? Do you want Padraig to win again or do you want to gloat at other anonymous posters on the internet ?

Just because someone points out that's there's basically zero evidence that he'll start winning anytime soon, they're a naysayer ?

I hope he wins again, I hope he somehow picks up a US Open and a Masters to complete a career slam, I'd say 99% of posters want him to rediscover his form. It doesn't mean I can't see that its extremely unlikely, based on current form. I hope I'm wrong.

Rant over :)

Clearly, the important thing is for him to win again, or at least start getting some high finishes. I just said it would be interesting to see how the naysayers would respond if he started winning. I never said that pointing out that his current form does not suggest an imminent return to the winner's circle automatically makes someone a naysayer.

Don't be so sensitive. There are some extremely negative people who post on this thread who SEEM to take pleasure when Padraig does badly and some have admitted that they get great enjoyment out of winding up Padraig's fans. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you're one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

How come he is playing in the US this week an not the dessert classic

• Advertisement

What's the story with the Masters for Padraig this year anyone know?

I think he will need to make the top 50 in the World Rankings to qualify.

Eoinyh wrote: »
    How come he is playing in the US this week an not the dessert classic

He likes to play in the Pebble Beach pro-am and this is part of his build up for that.

Basically he needs a win or a string of top 3 finishes to make the masters. He needs id be estimating two top 4 finishes out of his next 3 events to make the world matchplay although I think the cut off for the matchplay is actually before riviera.

He needs a win/miracle basically.

It's gona be strange to watch the masters without him this year.

It's gona be strange to watch the masters without him this year.

Will it? We haven't actually seen him except on shot tracker in the Masters for a year or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Will it? We haven't actually seen him except on shot tracker in the Masters for a year or two!

No shot tracker in the Masters :p

Plenty coverage of him in final round of 2012 ;)

I dont think we will see him at the Masters again unfortunately :(

Well I never said on tv! haha. I take your point though!:)

My set up for the Masters was always as follows, Amen Corner Live open on laptop, Live coverage on tv, and the scoreboard on my phone with Harringtons name highlighted as a favourite on top praying the next score recorded was a red number and waiting impatiently for him to reach Amen Corner live.

So for me it will be different! :(:(

Level par for the first 9 holes starting on the back 9, nothing too notable about his front 9. Couldve been slightly better if he chipped and putted for birdie on 17 but made a good 8 footer for par on 18. Tv coverage actually showed him twice amazingly.

Expected scoring to be even lower. 7 under leads and 7 over is last. Pretty even spread. Wont be as much of a birdie fest as last year where Mickelson missed a putt for a 59 in round 1.

A back 9 of two or three under would be nice

Just made his third 8 footer for par at the first after a sloppy approach.

Good signs with the putting. I noticed when they showed his putt his set up looks a bit more orthodox than usual. Feet closer together and standing not as far away from the ball. Anyone else notice this?

Very poor back nine of 2 over with no birdies. 1 birdie all day which was a 30 footer. He never got the ball close enough with his approach shots according to shot tracker and it will be a fight for a low round tomorrow to make the cut!

2 under 69 today leaving him on level par. I was just about to write great response with a 68 to make the cut but he has just three putted the last according to shot tracker. Touch and go now whether he makes the cut!

Seemed to play well all day but two three putts on 12 and 18 may have just cost him. They were the only two bogeys of the day for him.

• Advertisement

FFS. looks like a 3 putt on the last from 37 feet has cost him making the cut. Bl**dy H*ll!

Two lip outs to miss two cuts in a row. Oh Padraig! Fridays will hurt so much more though with the three putt.

Pebble Beach next........my early season optimism has almost vanished now! :(

This event is absolutely woeful to watch every year. Three days of only showing amateurs at Pebble (even though there is a rotation of 3 courses, Pebble, Spyglass Hill and Monterey Peninsula) in rounds that take 6 hours!!!! The image of Bill Murray lapping up the limelight with the same gags every year gets very old and frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

The Putter. The putter. Huge respect for the man. Ill keep looking for his name first every week. ill keep picking him in my fantasy golf team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

poteen wrote: »
    The Putter. The putter. Huge respect for the man. Ill keep looking for his name first every week. ill keep picking him in my fantasy golf team.

I know he's a bit of an eternal optimist but a mate of mine was talking to him prior to him leaving for the states.
    He's practicing as hard as ever and he really felt like his game was in the best shape for a long while.
    Defo signs of a revival but this week is probably a more realistic test as much more emphasis on scrambling.
    Always been a big fan and he only lives up the road from me,he's very down to earth,would stop for a chat with the neighbours quite regularly,hope he has a good year,problem is over in the states all the young lads coming through each year are getting better and better so makes things harder every year for the like of PH to compete.

problem is over in the states all the young lads coming through each year are getting better and better so makes things harder every year for the like of PH to compete.

That's not the issue at all imho, the issue is his putting. Nothing else. His game looks to be in good fettle but he won't contend, or make cuts, unless his putting returns. He had serious problems with short putts last year when I saw him. While that remains there is not much hope.

That's not the issue at all imho, the issue is his putting. Nothing else. His game looks to be in good fettle but he won't contend, or make cuts, unless his putting returns. He had serious problems with short putts last year when I saw him. While that remains there is not much hope.

it's not just putting,missed cut last week by a shot with a 3 putt on his last hole but stats for the first 2 rounds on a pretty easy course DA 57% GIR 69%.
    That's just not good enough tbh,in fact it's way off

it's not just putting,missed cut last week by a shot with a 3 putt on his last hole but stats for the first 2 rounds on a pretty easy course DA 57% GIR 69%.
    That's just not good enough tbh,in fact it's way off

Is that far off from his career stats I wonder? I doubt he has brilliant GIR stats over his career, he has always been known for a really sharp short game, and that's gone now, for the moment at least.

Either way, if you can't putt well you won't win, anywhere. If the rest of your game is good you might make cuts.

Is that far off from his career stats I wonder? I doubt he has brilliant GIR stats over his career, he has always been known for a really sharp short game, and that's gone now, for the moment at least.

Either way, if you can't putt well you won't win, anywhere. If the rest of your game is good you might make cuts.

no I'm sure it probably isn't but that's too long of a time to compare,standards of GIR have improved over time,it's getting harder to compete if you're not hitting the greens.
    The days of a player way down in the GIR stats winning are gone.Yes there are exceptions but they're few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭paulos53

I had a look at some of his PGA Tour stats for last year and the years that he won his majors and it definitely indicates a big drop in putting. His GIR and Driving Accuracy stats are similar to a few years ago but were never his strengths anyway.

GIR

2007 189th 60.30%
    2008 186th 60.67%
    2013 174th 60.88%

DA

2007 174th 57.52%
    2008 154th 59.37%
    2013 135th 58.39%

Putts per round

2007 7th 28.32
    2008 2nd 28.04
    2013 100th 29.24

Scrambling

2007 15th 61.63%
    2008 21st 61.02%
    2013 113th 56.52%

• Advertisement

Pebble Beach next........my early season optimism has almost vanished now! :(

This event is absolutely woeful to watch every year. Three days of only showing amateurs at Pebble (even though there is a rotation of 3 courses, Pebble, Spyglass Hill and Monterey Peninsula) in rounds that take 6 hours!!!! The image of Bill Murray lapping up the limelight with the same gags every year gets very old and frustrating!

Good news on that front http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcmxd?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=golf

Let's hope there's more good news for Padraig and that he can make a decent showing in the event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement