Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nice round for Padraig - 2 under - great to see. Let's hope he continues like this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Now that is a great par.

If you look at his driving stats they are poor - then his GIR is poor as a result - or he is further from the hole.

Just had a look at his stats for the round & one stat jumped out...
    85.71 % scrambling .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mafc wrote: »
    Just had a look at his stats for the round & one stat jumped out...
    85.71 % scrambling .

I'm looking at a stat for today - his driving is 42 % - . That is crazy stuff.

I can't work out the putting is says he has gained 1.398 shot from putting - but that figure could be a positive or negative. :confused:

I'm looking at a stat for today - his driving is 42 % - . That is crazy stuff.

I can't work out the putting is says he has gained 1.398 shot from putting - but that figure could be a positive or negative. :confused:

Yes Scott gained nearly 5 shots on field by putting - so Padraig is gaining on putting - that is only today and beacuse he is not hitting fairways he is having to scramble - this he is doing remarkably - but has an effect of shortening his putting.

Sorry - we should wait a few rounds - but he is not hitting enough fairways.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Every week so far this year he has had very solid driving days followed by bad driving days and vice versa. I wouldn't look too much into the driving. He's always been erratic in terms of driving accuracy. The big factor is that he used to be able to recover no matter where he drove it!!! As a whole his driving is still improving at least. He has reduced his amount of big wides, which used to happen a lot from nowhere. To me it looks as though his driver swing is a lot shorter and compact to counteract the big 50 yard hook/push when he has a bad swing.

Today though he was able to scramble well and recover from the missed fairways. The wedge play was very good and the putting was very solid from around 10 feet. The only blip was the par 5 6th.

Now get that head to your pillow early Padraig instead of bashing balls and overthinking on the range, and go out early tomorrow to post a solid score!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I'm not really talking about PH here but people get to caught up in driving stats and stats in general,sometimes a drive a few yards in the rough with a good angle to the pin is better than being on the wrong side of the fairway.

even look at scrambling stats,it's not comparing like for like at all really,the real stat at the end of the week I look at is % of putts made from 15 feet in,you'll rarely see a player compete if this stat is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm not really talking about PH here but people get to caught up in driving stats and stats in general,sometimes a drive a few yards in the rough with a good angle to the pin is better than being on the wrong side of the fairway.

Very true.
    I think Rory was statistically more accurate off the tee last year than his amazing 2012 season, can't remember the numbers exactly but there wasn't much in it either way. The difference was that his misses last year were off the planet rather than being playable as they had been before.

I'm also pretty sceptical about the strokes gained putting stat. I'm just not convinced its as valuable or valid as, say putts per GIR. To me, it seems like its not measuring against a fixed target, you're comparing yourself against how everyone else its putting, so in a field of good putters you might look bad, but in a field of average putters, the same player might look good. At least putts per GIR is a solid number.
    Unless of course, I've totally misunderstood the strokes gained calculation !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

How do they work out strokes gained putting anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

on a 440 yard par 4 yesterday, paddy drove it 290 yards to edge of right rough. 150 yards to the green, over water, he chose to chip out 50 yards to the left hand side of the fairway to leave himself 100 yards to the green. Still made par, but his errant tee shot ruled out birdie.

just one example of paddy.

denisoc16 wrote: »
    How do they work out strokes gained putting anyway?

AFAIK they basically compare a players putting stats from each distance on each green against the field average from that distance and see if they are higher or lower than the average. Something like that anyway !:)

• Advertisement

Excellent birdie at the first. 3 under!

Good start. 1 under for the first 3 holes which are very tough holes, is solid. Coming into that birdie stretch now with a couple of par 5s and shortish par 4s

Good start. 1 under for the first 3 holes which are very tough holes, is solid. Coming into that birdie stretch now with a couple of par 5s and shortish par 4s

Just Paddy's speciality of late......:eek:

If he could somehow get finished around 5 under it would be super.

Didnt take advantage of great drives up the par 5s. A missed 6 footer and a bad pitch means two pars instead of two birdies. Still 3 under

Birdie at 7. 4 under

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Didnt take advantage of great drives up the par 5s. A missed 6 footer and a bad pitch means two pars instead of two birdies. Still 3 under

I'd take pars on par 5's from PH to be honest, he seems to struggle badly on them, more so than others anyhow, from what I can see

Bogey at 8. 3 putt from over 60 feet.

Out in 1 under 35. Could easily have been better - he missed another chance on 9, but a solid start.

Live @ coverage is on the par 5 12th hole this week so Harrington should be heading to that in the next 30 mins.

Nice birdie at the 12th which was shown on live@. 4 under

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Looking at shot tracker he obviously isn't using the driver too much off the tee

Bogey at the par 3 14th

Superb shot in to the 16th. 8 foot eagle chance coming up!

EAGLE! 5 under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Just checked the leaderboard.... delighted to see him up there. Deserved the eagle after putting it to 8ft from 221yds out.

2 tough holes to finish now. Be nice to post 5 under. The wind is starting to pick up and the greens starting to firm up. I wasnt expecting scoring to be this low but maybe the scoring will even out a bit in the afternoon. Bring on the wind! Be nice to get him in the tv coverage late tomorrow evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

COME ON PADDY!! I've been waiting for a round like this for ages, hope to god he finishes at -5

Favourite Irish golfer by a country mile and always will be!

You can believe or not believe in stats if you want.

But his driving is up 18 % now up to 60 %

His a little better than field in putting - his GIR are up.

He is not losing ground on field in putting.

Hit it straight over the pin on 17 and 2 putted for par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Please don't do worse than par on the last!! I can't take another double to finish.

Fingers crossed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement