Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Got a quick glimpse of him earlier, Looks like he has started losing sponsers now...front of the hat is blank. Wasnt that golfuzed or something?

I'm golfuzed.com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

peepee wrote: »
    Bob Torrance Interview
    I think this old article says it all. Kinda sad really.
    Thanks for that - very interesting article. Sounds fanatical about practising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Its sad how the relationship ended. The story about the guy in the Titleist fitting centre telling Harrington "Computer says YES!" but he's hitting the roof with wedges while old Bob looks on is just crazy. How can he trust the guy with the computer over the guy who's been with him for so long.

Winning majors is as good as it gets. Its arrogance to think you can be perfect. There is no perfection in golf, Tigers looking for it and its ruined him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Its sad how the relationship ended. The story about the guy in the Titleist fitting centre telling Harrington "Computer says YES!" but he's hitting the roof with wedges while old Bob looks on is just crazy. How can he trust the guy with the computer over the guy who's been with him for so long.

Winning majors is as good as it gets. Its arrogance to think you can be perfect. There is no perfection in golf, Tigers looking for it and its ruined him as well.

One of the great sporting acts of self-sabotage what Harrington managed to do after being top of the golfing world back then. Bit amazed people are still following him on the course with any actual sense of expectation. His ship has truly smashed against the rocks for now and the foreseeable future too it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pelevin wrote: »
    One of the great sporting acts of self-sabotage what Harrington managed to do after being top of the golfing world back then. Bit amazed people are still following him on the course with any actual sense of expectation. His ship has truly smashed against the rocks for now and the foreseeable future too it seems.

Can you enlighten the rest of us as to what this sabotage was?

Consider the facts, he has changed his swing every year since he started playing and continues today.
    In the middle of this he won 3 Majors including back to back Opens.

What was it that you think he did?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »

What was it that you think he did?

Changed from the swing that won him 3 majors ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Rikand wrote: »

Don't think that's really the issue. His major problem is that his short game and putting is not where it used to be. If that had happened anyway, it wouldn't have mattered whether he changed his full swing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

There is no perfection in golf, Tigers looking for it and its ruined him as well.
    Nick Faldo did the same and it ruined him as well AFAIK. As far as tiger goes, he's not looking for perfection at all. He's looking for a swing that won't blow out his knee (again) after the damage all the years of Butch Harmon coaching did to him.

That only makes sense if you believe the swing didnt change between any of the majors...which it did.

In my opinion, his short game is down to two things

1.) The Changes in the wedges that meant he couldnt have the control he once had

2.) The changes to the rest of his swing that means practicing his short game is on the back burner.

That and I feel his putting has changed. I quote this article from G-Mac. I dont know when it was written though

http://www.srixon.co.uk/pro-tips/gmac-tips/10-ways-to-hole-6-footers/

Take point 3 - "Taking the break out"
    I wrap my short putts in pretty hard, but maybe not as hard as I used to as we tend to play on faster greens. Someone like Harrington would drop them in softly, so this really comes down to each individual player. I like to take break out and it’s something I work hard on. But you have to be careful if the greens are fast.

Harrington drops them in softly

I cant envisage a scenario where Harrington is dropping in a 4 foot putt softly that goes 8 feet past like he did on one putt yesterday. He of course, missed the one back.

I think he has changed his philosophy on putting and this is also resulting in more missed putts and subsequently, more missed putts back

• Advertisement

In my opinion, his short game is down to two things

1.) The Changes in the wedges that meant he couldnt have the control he once had

2.) The changes to the rest of his swing that means practicing his short game is on the back burner.

That and I feel his putting has changed. I quote this article from G-Mac. I dont know when it was written though

http://www.srixon.co.uk/pro-tips/gmac-tips/10-ways-to-hole-6-footers/

Take point 3 - "Taking the break out"

Harrington drops them in softly

I cant envisage a scenario where Harrington is dropping in a 4 foot putt softly that goes 8 feet past like he did on one putt yesterday. He of course, missed the one back.

I think he has changed his philosophy on putting and this is also resulting in more missed putts and subsequently, more missed putts back

I agree 100%.
    His strategy seems to have changed and its not working out.
    I think in an effort to make more biridies he is going for all putts, which is fine, but not if you keep missing the one back.

His short game is nowhere near where it used to be.

Finally, whatever the strategy is for Par 5's he needs to abandon it.
    If he just parred them all this week he would be 4 behind the leader and not 8.
    Thats a pathetic stat for a pro who hits the ball plenty far enough imo.

funny, just reading this http://www.srixon.co.uk/pro-tips/gmac-tips/hit-the-perfect-draw/

Its all been shown to be wrong lately (well years ago now) but they all still think thats what they are doing to move the ball. Goes to show that even the top guys have stuff in their head they think they are doing that they really arent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Paddy is keeping the fat grip for today even after yesterday's poor putting showing. I actually think this is one change that could work out after a little time getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Typically, he has started well today. Striped 3 drives down the middle and picked up a birdie on the 11th (his second).

Inevitably, a good round today will give him and us more hope. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Paddy is keeping the fat grip for today even after yesterday's poor putting showing. I actually think this is one change that could work out after a little time getting used to it.

I copied him yesterday :) - same day.

Nice birdie at the par 5 14th. Gotta say in the past 5 months Padraig has played the par 5s much more cautiously, laying up on most of them. He laid up on all the par 5s yesterday and shot 4 over. It doesnt seem to make a difference what strategy he takes. The more shots required on a hole the more mental thinking involved. Maybe thats why hes always been a good par 3 player. Less thinking.

Anyway he went for this green in two after bombing his drive. 2 under thru 5, 2 over overall

Looks like the cut will be 2 over. 1 under for the last 10 would be enough. Be nice to see him get in or around level par. It would leave a sniff of hope for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Looks like the cut will be 2 over. 1 under for the last 10 would be enough. Be nice to see him get in or around level par. It would leave a sniff of hope for the weekend.

Yes, it would be great if he could make the cut. Another two hours of putting us through the wringer looms to see if he can make it. :(

Aggressive again on the par 5 2nd and rewarded after another massive 331 yard drive. On the edge of the green in 2. 19 feet from the pin. Not many players hit that green in 2, If any. Easy 2 putt birdie. +2 thru 11

That par 5 was 602 yards. Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Shot tracker watch for rest of the night, think it might go to three over seemed to be getting harder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Padraig is having one of the better rounds today - please let him keep it going.

This is torture. Outside the cut line after 10. Birdies the 2nd to get inside the cut line, then bogeys the 3rd to be back outside the cut.

Good drive,

He is going well.

This is nuts watching shot tracker.

you see a 4 foot putt and go aaaaaahhhhhhh bleeding hell.

Could be in fact 5 foot with a break of 2 foot :):)

ahhh bleeding hell.

Good lord. He just missed the green from 58 yards. He now has a 5 footer to save par. Good grief!

Absolutely dreadful. A bogey from a routine birdie position. Curtains. That's unbelievably poor

Absolutely dreadful. A bogey from a routine birdie position. Curtains. That's unbelievably poor

Time to stop watching, I think.:(

Right lads - bed.

Off to read a book about "The inner Secret to great golf" -

58 yards - that is cazy stuff.

Is wind up ?

No - bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Giving up on this a bogey from sixty yards short of the green off the tee is very poor, be fuming if I did it myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement