Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Birdie. Good start

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Where are u watching? Or are u looking at pga site/app?

browner85 wrote: »
    Where are u watching? Or are u looking at pga site/app?

Just the app. CBS is only contracted until 11 o clock. Don't know why they cant roll over though because they normally do on sundays. Pretty frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Yea so annoying.... 😈

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Made a 4 now -6

• Advertisement

in the water at the next......

Made a good bogey in the end. Up and down and holed from 13 feet. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Paulie1987

He looks like he's driving it really well...if he can keep the 3 putts and disasters off the card he mite have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Groan

An absolute nightmare start this morning. Followed his bogey late last night with 2 more bogeys. Very sloppy chips has cost him. He then went and drove it in the water at the next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A double now, its been coming the whole round. 4th time in the water. Dreadful stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Shot tracking Padraig while watching Mayo.... Why do I do this to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Why does Padraig always implode every time he is going well? He has a double or triple in every second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Redo91 wrote: »
    Why does Padraig always implode every time he is going well? He has a double or triple in every second round.
    Padraig has been confused, recently, with the concept of "moving day" regrettably he seems adept at moving in the wrong direction. His scorecard resembles one of my own. He'd break your heart.

shaneon77 wrote: »
    Padraig has been confused, recently, with the concept of "moving day" regrettably he seems adept at moving in the wrong direction. His scorecard resembles one of my own. He'd break your heart.

Without doubt the most frustrating golfer to follow these days on tour. I suppose we can't really complain given all the great days he gave us in the past but it is still a shame his game has dropped so much in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Agonies. Every facet of his game goes off. Chipping, then putting, then approaches :( Ironically his driving isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

ankles wrote: »
    Agonies. Every facet of his game goes off. Chipping, then putting, then approaches :( Ironically his driving isn't too bad

And now the driving too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Finished with a 79. It looks like he sank a 13 footer at the last to break 80.

Out again already. His brain must be fried at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Without doubt the most frustrating golfer to follow these days on tour.

I would doubt that though.
    Is it not just the nature of following a golfer ranked 200+ in the world ?
    Sure, even at that level, they can play some great golf, have a run of birdies, or a good round or two and show towards the top of the leaderboard for a spell. But a string of bogies, missed cuts, and disastrous rounds following good ones is just 'par for the course' of golfers at that level. I dont think its particular to Harrington - if you follow a golfer of that level, you are setting yourself up for frustration.

I guess the problem most of us are having is that, while we know he is currently ranked outside the top 200 players in the world rankings, we just don't see him as a journeyman pro. We see it as a blip, a temporary aberration, something that doesn't reflect his real position in the world of golf.

Whatever happens, I will remain a huge fan of Padraig's and he will always (or at least for a long time to come) be the first person I look for when I'm checking scores. But I'm beginning to fear that there is something missing in the mental side of his game and that he will never get it back.

At the beginning of this week, I was feeling optimistic and I really felt that he was turning a corner. Now I just don't know. It would be great to see him do well at Fota and if I was going, he is the player I would be following around for the first two days (and hopefully also over the weekend).

But it would be more in hope than expectation.

• Advertisement

I would doubt that though.
    Is it not just the nature of following a golfer ranked 200+ in the world ?
    Sure, even at that level, they can play some great golf, have a run of birdies, or a good round or two and show towards the top of the leaderboard for a spell. But a string of bogies, missed cuts, and disastrous rounds following good ones is just 'par for the course' of golfers at that level. I dont think its particular to Harrington - if you follow a golfer of that level, you are setting yourself up for frustration.

It's not necessarily the missed cuts, runs of bogies, etc that frustrate me about Padraig. He just seems to implode on a single hole every time he is going well. It isn't even a new thing since he has dropped so far down the rankings. In 2009 when he was in contention in the USPGA he had a 6 on a par 3 in the final round. Also a few years back at the TPC (memory is a bit shady on this so correct me if I have the wrong tournament) when in a play-off with Tiger he knocked it in the water on the 16th. Even when he won the open in 2007 he put a drive in the water on the last and had to go into a play-off instead of enjoying the walk up the 18th.

Basically what frustrates me so much with Padraig is that you just know, regardless of how well he is playing, an absolute disaster of a hole is never far around the corner. I think that even guys that are around him in the world rankings, when playing well, aren't as liable to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Without doubt the most frustrating golfer to follow these days on tour.

i would say on the whole, John Daly is far more frustrating to be afollower of :)

It's not necessarily the missed cuts, runs of bogies, etc that frustrate me about Padraig. He just seems to implode on a single hole every time he is going well. It isn't even a new thing since he has dropped so far down the rankings. In 2009 when he was in contention in the USPGA he had a 6 on a par 3 in the final round. Also a few years back at the TPC (memory is a bit shady on this so correct me if I have the wrong tournament) when in a play-off with Tiger he knocked it in the water on the 16th. Even when he won the open in 2007 he put a drive in the water on the last and had to go into a play-off instead of enjoying the walk up the 18th.

Basically what frustrates me so much with Padraig is that you just know, regardless of how well he is playing, an absolute disaster of a hole is never far around the corner. I think that even guys that are around him in the world rankings, when playing well, aren't as liable to do this.

Actually, it was an 8 on a par 3 that undid him in the 2009 USPGA. :eek:

I've no recollection of him ever being in a playoff with Tiger. But he did have an 8 on a par 5 towards the end of his round in a WGC event the week before the USPGA in question. At the time, it was a two horse race between him and Tiger and Padraig had just been put on the clock. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Regarding the 2006 open, the 18th was a bit of a comedy of errors, but he made a good up and down to salvage a double bogey and he played much steadier golf than Sergio in the playoff. And he played the finishing stretch really well in his two major wins the following year.

So I would see the tendency to have disastrous holes as something that happened following his swing change at the end of 2008, not something that was in place before then. Whether the two are connected is something we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

abff wrote: »

I've no recollection of him ever being in a playoff with Tiger. But he did have an 8 on a par 5 towards the end of his round in a WGC event the week before the USPGA in question. At the time, it was a two horse race between him and Tiger and Padraig had just been put on the clock. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
    Yeah it was as you recall it, not a playoff. He got a really bad break on that 16th with his layup sticking on the bank over the bunker and then being put on the clock rushed the approach. He had looked like he would win up to that point. Then he was in contention in the PGA again and bladed the pitch into the water. That was the start of his decline I think.

Regarding the 2006 open, the 18th was a bit of a comedy of errors, but he made a good up and down to salvage a double bogey and he played much steadier golf than Sergio in the playoff. And he played the finishing stretch really well in his two major wins the following year.

So I would see the tendency to have disastrous holes as something that happened following his swing change at the end of 2008, not something that was in place before then. Whether the two are connected is something we'll never know.

Ya you are spot on with the WGC event v Tiger. I just remembered it was a two horse race between the two and they were in the last group. Bit of a joke he was put on the clock. I think he was told he was on the clock just before he knocked an approach into the water on the par 5. Even Tiger was saying it was a farce. Not sure where I got the idea that it was a play-off from. :/

I suppose you are right that this pattern of disastrous holes did begin after those swing changes in 2008 (why he made these changes I'll never know). The last hole at Carnoustie was a mess but as you say he made a very good up and down considering the circumstances. A bit of a mystery where these implosions have appeared from but it's such a shame that they have as otherwise I would fancy him to have more than the 3 majors to his name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

fullstop wrote: »
    Then he was in contention in the PGA again and bladed the pitch into the water.

That was where he almost decapitated Stenson with a 'wayward' approach also :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

He somehow contrived to pick up no ranking points this week with a T65 finish in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

We see it as a blip, a temporary aberration
    His decline can be measured in years now, surely nobody can see that as a "blip" or "Temporary". If anything any good performance he has will be a blip before he slumps back to mediocrity. What ye should be hoping for is that he can do a "Darren Clarke" and peak at the perfect time to win The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Festinalente

From PH site - Review of St Jude Classic

'My final 18 holes felt a little better; however, I still struggled with my routines. I felt like I was stationed over the ball for a long time and this was cluttering my thought process. I signed for a two over par 72; the end of a long week.

At this stage one of Harrington's greatest assets, his extreme work ethic, may be the one thing standing in his way. There have been numerous very honest interviews of the last 6 months which have revealed thought patterns symptomatic of burnout - less is more may be part of the solution but I don't see this as part of his makeup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Rikand wrote: »
    i would say on the whole, John Daly is far more frustrating to be afollower of :)

lol ive been following daly for years and he is without doubt the most frustratin character in golf..talent to burn and even when he makes the weekend is obvious he gos on the batter and puts in 2 shocking rounds.

His autobiography is good though.

Padraig will come back though he is to good and works to hard not to come back to a decent level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement