Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

hades wrote: »
    As far as i could see he had 2 hybrids, a TM SLDR mini driver (3 wood) and SLDR Driver.

Not sure of the hybrid brands.

I remember him saying before that he left one of the hybrids uncovered because no self respecting pro could have more than 3 headcovers in the bag! (excluding putter obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Surprised to see Harro in the French Open field but guess he is hoping to play his way into form for The Open. Also with his World Ranking I imagine he needs to fulfil his ET obligations and not be stuck later in the year if he can find himself in the all important Top 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

ssbob wrote: »
    Surprised to see Harro in the French Open field but guess he is hoping to play his way into form for The Open. Also with his World Ranking I imagine he needs to fulfil his ET obligations and not be stuck later in the year if he can find himself in the all important Top 60.

I think its a good tournament for him to play IMO. he tends to do well on tough courses where scoring may not be that high. Lets hope he makes the cut first and take it from there.

poteen wrote: »
    I think its a good tournament for him to play IMO. he tends to do well on tough courses where scoring may not be that high. Lets hope he makes the cut first and take it from there.

Surpised that his playing but meant to say I think it is a good idea, a few more tournaments in Europe will do him no harm!!

Yes scoring will be tough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Surpised that his playing but meant to say I think it is a good idea, a few more tournaments in Europe will do him no harm!!

Yes scoring will be tough,

Why would he not be playing in Europe now that the tour has reached mainland Europe? This is where all the top guys will be playing over the next few weeks in the lead up to The Open.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Why would he not be playing in Europe now that the tour has reached mainland Europe? This is where all the top guys will be playing over the next few weeks in the lead up to The Open.

He normally doesn't play the French Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

He normally doesn't play the French Open.

True but probably making up for a couple of weeks he hasn't been able to play this year when he would have liked to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭paulos53

Maybe he is getting familiar with the course ahead of a potential Ryder Cup captaincy in 2018. It would be just like him to start preparing 4 years in advance :)

paulos53 wrote: »
    Maybe he is getting familiar with the course ahead of a potential Ryder Cup captaincy in 2018. It would be just like him to start preparing 4 years in advance :)

Dya know I think about this quite a lot and I think that Harro could potentially lose out on the captaincy. My reasoning behind this is his friendships with the current ET Committee and what's coming behind him, the following will all be vying for captaincy over the next couple of years and who would begrudge them:

Miguel, Thomas Bjorn, Darren Clarke of course then you have Harrington, Westwood and Paul Lawrie to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

-2 after 9, steady start on a tough track. Currently tied 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Dya know I think about this quite a lot and I think that Harro could potentially lose out on the captaincy. My reasoning behind this is his friendships with the current ET Committee and what's coming behind him, the following will all be vying for captaincy over the next couple of years and who would begrudge them:

Miguel, Thomas Bjorn, Darren Clarke of course then you have Harrington, Westwood and Paul Lawrie to a lesser extent.

Wouldn't begrudge any of them, but Harrington is definitely top of that crew. I think most non-Irish golf fans would agree with that too. More majors than the rest of them put together.

newport2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't begrudge any of them, but Harrington is definitely top of that crew. I think most non-Irish golf fans would agree with that too. More majors than the rest of them put together.

I think what may go against him is the number of Irish Contenders.

You'd imagine that next in line will be Miguel for the states and then for Le Golf National it's coming up to Harringtons turn but also Darrens and then the ET committee are firm Thomas Bjorn Favourites obviously!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭paulos53

The selection process has changed for the future Ryder Cups and the players committee have only 1 representative. The other 4 are the European Tour Chief Executive (George O'Grady) and the 3 most recent captains i.e. Monty, Olazabal and McGinley

It wouldn't surprise me if Monty and McGinley pushed for Harrington in 2016

paulos53 wrote: »
    The selection process has changed for the future Ryder Cups and the players committee have only 1 representative. The other 4 are the European Tour Chief Executive (George O'Grady) and the 3 most recent captains i.e. Monty, Olazabal and McGinley

It wouldn't surprise me if Monty and McGinley pushed for Harrington in 2016

I had forgotten that, but no way will he get it for 2016, 2 reasons:

1. He won't want to give up on playing in it.
    2. They will never allow 2 irish players subsequent to each other.
    Best bet is 2020 I reckon just as he is getting ready for Champions Tour.

Pair of doubles on 13 and 15, Tied 77th now! Too much water on this course for P.H!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

poteen wrote: »

Agree. Better off tying to compete there where its more in his league to have a chance of making the cut. US tour is just out of range for him these days. The French is a reasonable 'stretch target' for him to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Agree. Better off tying to compete there where its more in his league to have a chance of making the cut. US tour is just out of range for him these days. The French is a reasonable 'stretch target' for him to aim for.

Looking unlikely he'll make the cut. Needs to pick up two or three shots in his final six holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

If he can get two birdies in his last three holes, he will make the cut. Come on!!

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    If he can get two birdies in his last three holes, he will make the cut. Come on!!

One would do id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Bogey 17. Good night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Bogey on the 17th is the opposite of what was needed. So frustrating

And a 6 on the last for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'd still feel its worth his while sticking with the European tour events for another couple of months. Challenge tour next though if nothing has changed by the end of the year and he still wants to play competitive golf.

I'd still feel its worth his while sticking with the European tour events for another couple of months. Challenge tour next though if nothing has changed by the end of the year and he still wants to play competitive golf.

Challenge tour lol!!! Why would he play that when he has full playing rights on the european tour??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Challenge tour lol!!! Why would he play that when he has full playing rights on the european tour??

I think that may have been intended as a wind up to ruffle our feathers. What's disappointing about today's finish is that two pars would have seen him safely though to the weekend and there's even an outside possibility that the cut could move out to +4.

abff wrote: »
    I think that may have been intended as a wind up to ruffle our feathers. What's disappointing about today's finish is that two pars would have seen him safely though to the weekend and there's even an outside possibility that the cut could move out to +4.

Yeah poor finish on both days, more often than not lately when he is flirting with the cut he'll find a way of falling on the wrong side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »

OK, the cut is now definitely +3. Still a shame about his finish today. Let's hope he does a Darren at The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Here we go again!!! Another solid start (for the 3rd or 4th tournament in a row) A bogey at the first followed by two birdies at two and five has him well placed in the early starters

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

They are having scoring update issues on the European Tour website but apparently Padraig has found another birdie. Presumably at the par 5 6th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

He's now 2 under thru 9

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement