Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure they're all laughing at a past champ on the range.

I'm sure they are. People should know from my posts on here that I'm a massive fan of Padraig and all his achievements but his antics on the range are just silly IMO. The Happy gilmore shot, a tennis ball strapped under his left foot whilst driving and now this (he has been doing it for a few months now) driving the ball whilst kneeling down. These are not for show... they are now all part of his warm up routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

I don't think anyone is laughing. There may be a few people scratching their heads and wondering what he's trying to achieve. If he wins this week, we can expect to see a lot of imitators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

abff wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is laughing. There may be a few people scratching their heads and wondering what he's trying to achieve. If he wins this week, we can expect to see a lot of imitators.

McGinley is audibly laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

abff wrote: »

Ye, a bit stupid to laugh at him unless you've more than 3 majors in your back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's bizarre stuff, so of course people will laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

McGinley is audibly laughing.

Yes Padraig is whacky at times.

But I'm sure Padraig could laugh at McGinley in that add in Croker :eek:

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's bizarre stuff, so of course people will laugh.

Laughing and laughing at someone are two different things.

I agree it looks strange, but the tee shot off his knees looks as if it's to totally take his lower body out of the swing. Perhaps to focus on an upper body motion? Lot's of drills do things like this eg hitting shots with your feet together to improve tempo, stepping into the shot to initiate shot with lower body, etc. They are just far more common and hence don't attract as much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

I hope, for his own sake, that he gives a competent performance in the first 2 rounds of the USPGA. His grouping will be one of the main centres for media attention. That practice routine doesn't look very good for someone with a history of neck, back & shoulder problems. Sometimes simple basics is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

newport2 wrote: »
    Laughing and laughing at someone are two different things.

I agree it looks strange, but the tee shot off his knees looks as if it's to totally take his lower body out of the swing. Perhaps to focus on an upper body motion? Lot's of drills do things like this eg hitting shots with your feet together to improve tempo, stepping into the shot to initiate shot with lower body, etc. They are just far more common and hence don't attract as much attention.

Exactly right. I don't understand people problem with it. Who cares what he does, everything he does on the range has a reason behind it. And a lot of other golfers could do with his work ethic and commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lots of people laughed at Jimenez's warmup routine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Exactly right. I don't understand people problem with it. Who cares what he does, everything he does on the range has a reason behind it. And a lot of other golfers could do with his work ethic and commitment.

I don't think people have a problem with it so much as with PH getting increasingly bizarre with his routines. I've said many times that with 3 majors his place in history is assured, he has nothing to prove to anyone. But, to me, it seems like he's almost buying into this cr^p of "that's just who I am..." that he spouts when asked about the constant tinkering. He's turning into a caricature of himself at this stage - the glasses after having laser surgery, the electrodes monitoring his brain, the tennis ball under the wrong foot, the swing guide straight jacket, the belly putter when it's going to be banned, now this, WTF.

Do any of the other 156 guys at a tournament do this routine ? You'd have to wonder why, maybe because it's a load of bo11ox.
    PH has enough talent to get by handsomely without all these gimmicks, it's golf not nuclear science FFS, in my honest opinion his "work ethic and commitment" are doing him more harm than good at this stage.

I'd still rather watch him any day of the week ahead of many others, well, some others.

Minor rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Russman wrote: »
    I don't think people have a problem with it so much as with PH getting increasingly bizarre with his routines. I've said many times that with 3 majors his place in history is assured, he has nothing to prove to anyone. But, to me, it seems like he's almost buying into this cr^p of "that's just who I am..." that he spouts when asked about the constant tinkering. He's turning into a caricature of himself at this stage - the glasses after having laser surgery, the electrodes monitoring his brain, the tennis ball under the wrong foot, the swing guide straight jacket, the belly putter when it's going to be banned, now this, WTF.

Do any of the other 156 guys at a tournament do this routine ? You'd have to wonder why, maybe because it's a load of bo11ox.
    Well there's Kaymer's tennis ball hanging from around his neck, Webb Simpson standing on a towel on the putting green and of course Miguel's strange warm up to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was watching a bit of the titleist performance institute show on setanta & they had the world long drive champion on it.

They had him doing a drill/exercise swinging a weighted shaft on his knees to build arm speed, so I assume it's some variation on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So the day has dawned - bring it on. Would love more than anything else to see Padraig put in a good performance.....nothing flashy, no bomb outs, just an nice steady performance.

He needs to avoid the double bogey disasters which have plagued him now for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

teeing off 1:35 our time (8:35 theirs) and starting on the back 9...

Paddy birdies the 3rd to go to -1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Not surprisingly his group is the featured group on the red button for those with access to it.

Unlucky for birdie on 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Can't hole a putt at all today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Harry is +1 after 13 holes. Best of group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Harry is +1 after 13 holes. Best of group.

+3 after 15

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

finished 2 over, them 4 bogies on the back 9 cost him...better tomorro i hope..

and on another note i see he has W/S back on the front of his cap..

Looking bad to make the cut again. Currently in 93rd place after the first round. As Majors go this course isn't the toughest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

As Majors go this course isn't the toughest.

Think you'll find it is. Strongest field and generally lowest cut

AGC wrote: »

Doesnt that mean the course is easier?
    Strongest field doesnt have any impact on the course difficulty...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Doesnt that mean the course is easier?
    Strongest field doesnt have any impact on the course difficulty...

Yes normally the easiest set up with 90% of the field in a position to shoot low so your game has to be on to go low.

Yes normally the easiest set up with 90% of the field in a position to shoot low so your game has to be on to go low.

Hence he said this,
    As Majors go this course isn't the toughest.

but you disagreed! :)
    AGC wrote:

:o Complete misread on my part apologies.

I omitted 'course' and just read it as Major

:o Complete misread on my part apologies.

I omitted 'course' and just read it as Major

I suspected as much :D

Anywho, back to PH and his trials and tribulations.
    Maybe a good dose of weather will help him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know what time coverage starts today please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement