Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

6 but Rory is supposed to be on the red button from 1.30. There is a rain delay so no idea what time they will be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Needs eagle on 18 to make the cut. Putting is killing him today he's missed 7 putts under 9ft, 4 of which were under 5ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

me89 wrote: »
    Needs eagle on 18 to make the cut. Putting is killing him today he's missed 7 putts under 9ft, 4 of which were under 5ft.

Missed the cut by one after all those short ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Missed his round yesterday, this is torture to watch him in the doldrums as he is.

Is there anything he can do backroom wise? You don't just go from 3 time Major champion to obscure journeyman at his age. Any change can't make him any worse than he is atm as he's surely tinkered enough on his own behalf down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You don't just go from 3 time Major champion to obscure journeyman at his age

I think you'll find that PH has blown that theory out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Missed his round yesterday, this is torture to watch him in the doldrums as he is.

Is there anything he can do backroom wise? You don't just go from 3 time Major champion to obscure journeyman at his age. Any change can't make him any worse than he is atm as he's surely tinkered enough on his own behalf down the years.

I watched most of his round on Thursday, he played great believe it or not. Very aggressive with irons and threatening pins. Looked to be playing the best golf of the trio. I thought he was delusional when he said in interviews that his game wasn't far away but I can see where that's coming from now.

Even his putting stroke looked pretty good, granted he didn't make much but everything had a chance.

In contrast his putting yesterday looked worse and worse as round went on, he took longer and longer and stroke more rigid.

If he can regain some confidence with putter he can contend again, if not then the slide will continue. I wish he'd go away from that wide stance thing he does now and also put his tongue back in he never did that for putting as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Gutted for Padraig - another missed cut. Not at all sure what he can do about this, but these gimmicks on the practice range don't seem to be helping at all.

Its the short putting lads, hardest thing to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    Gutted for Padraig - another missed cut. Not at all sure what he can do about this, but these gimmicks on the practice range don't seem to be helping at all.
    His driving and iron shots were pretty good tbh, especially in the second round. Average 67% GIR and pretty much the same in driving accuracy. But -2 strokes gained in putting tells the story really. He had eight birdies and ten bogeys with no doubles or trebles.

As cairny said, he just needs to get his putter going and it could well be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Its the short putting lads, hardest thing to get back.

Ho took bad advice (or ignored good advice) on his eyesight problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

You don't just go from 3 time Major champion to obscure journeyman at his age.

Its exactly what you do. Because of his age. Even to better golfers, or even earlier, like Ballesteros or Faldo.

Golfers competitiveness at the top end tailing off as they come to 40, without ever regaining it, is the norm. Those staying competitive past that is the exception and usually from golfers who stay competitive continuously through that period. Padraig hasnt won a tournament for 6 years and the slide down the world rankings has been steady and deep. Missed cuts are his norm these days.

Players come back from slumps if they are 10 years younger. At his age, its no slump, and still baffled by the idea that people think he can come 'back'.

Its exactly what you do. Because of his age. Even to better golfers, or even earlier, like Ballesteros or Faldo.

Golfers competitiveness at the top end tailing off as they come to 40, without ever regaining it, is the norm. Those staying competitive past that is the exception and usually from golfers who stay competitive continuously through that period. Padraig hasnt won a tournament for 6 years and the slide down the world rankings has been steady and deep. Missed cuts are his norm these days.

Players come back from slumps if they are 10 years younger. At his age, its no slump, and still baffled by the idea that people think he can come 'back'.

I'm not sure that's especially true. Looking at the top 20 after yesterday you have Jim Furyk. Steve Stricker, Phil Mickelson and Vijay Singh to name a few who are all well into their 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

rrpc wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's especially true. Looking at the top 20 after yesterday you have Jim Furyk. Steve Stricker, Phil Mickelson and Vijay Singh to name a few who are all well into their 40s.

We are only at the half way stage and I'm sure I could find double that number who weren't competitive

These are exactly the types of golfers I mean and support my point. They have been continuously competitive as they passed 40. They did not come back from years in the doldrums like P, whose tournament, money list, and world rankings have been in freefall for some years. For some time, he has, (perfectly legimitmately nonetheless) only been in the premier events based on his performances of those fine years. Not because his golf today in anyway justifies it.
    I cannot think of a world top 10 or 20 golfer, whose game went south for a sustained period around the 40 age mark, who ever made it back to even near that level. There may be examples however. But I would still contend strongly that all the evidence is that, at that age, once gone, then gone.

(Monty to prove me wrong tomorrow evening after a string of 5 wood to par fives eagles has him pip Rory and finally get that major !)

These are exactly the types of golfers I mean and support my point. They have been continuously competitive as they passed 40. They did not come back from years in the doldrums like P, whose tournament, money list, and world rankings have been in freefall for some years. For some time, he has, (perfectly legimitmately nonetheless) only been in the premier events based on his performances of those fine years. Not because his golf today in anyway justifies it.
    I cannot think of a world top 10 or 20 golfer, whose game went south for a sustained period around the 40 age mark, who ever made it back to even near that level. There may be examples however. But I would still contend strongly that all the evidence is that, at that age, once gone, then gone.

(Monty to prove me wrong tomorrow evening after a string of 5 wood to par fives eagles has him pip Rory and finally get that major !)

Stricker lost his card in 06 at 39 (I think) don't think he supports your point at all. In fact if Padraig did what he did and disappeared to work on his game for 6 months he might get back too.

Els and Langer are closer examples of Padraigs putter woes, both of them made it back in their 40s. I'm not saying he will make it back but writing him off is far too hasty. Top 50 and a couple of victories still realistic targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Interesting question, how would be fair on the champions tour?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Interesting question, how would be fair on the champions tour?

http://youtu.be/Y-hhWUywXgU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Putting woes plaguing Padraig again today. Two over par after seven holes, having missed putts of 3 feet 6 inches and 5 feet.

Still two over after 9 holes. Apart from a five footer on the second, the longest putt he's sunk is 19 inches. Including the five footer, total distance of putts sunk over the first 9 holes is 11 feet 2 inches. Seems to give a fairly good indication of where the problem lies. Let's hope he gets it sorted.

Wow -3.1 strokes gained putting after 12 holes!!

• Advertisement

Today is even worse. He's just 4 putted the 15th (his 6th hole) from 50 feet. :eek:

abff wrote: »
    Today is even worse. He's just 4 putted the 15th (his 6th hole) from 50 feet. :eek:

3 putts from 6 feet, dreadful. Last tournament this year on stateside thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Paralysis by analysis. The man has destroyed his game.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Paralysis by analysis. The man has destroyed his game.
    No offense, but I hate that phrase. To me he's just got the dreaded yips and has no longer any confidence in his putting stroke.

He's not the first golfer to get them and he won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

3 putts from 6 feet, dreadful. Last tournament this year on stateside thankfully.

I didn't get to see any golf yesterda, but I'm glad I missed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mickelson has done that a million times though.
    Obviously there are issues but if we inspect everything too closely we are likely to come to some crazy conclusions.

No offense, but I hate that phrase. To me he's just got the dreaded yips and has no longer any confidence in his putting stroke.

He's not the first golfer to get them and he won't be the last.

Has any player ever really come back from the yips ?

Langer maybe ?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Mickelson has done that a million times though.
    Obviously there are issues but if we inspect everything too closely we are likely to come to some crazy conclusions.

Water off a ducks back to Phil though :-)

• Advertisement

Just finished reading an article on Padraig in a golf mag: "P Harrington - Why I may quit competitive golfing". Interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement