Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ronan doesn't have to be the problem to make removing him a potential solution.
    Padraig needs *something*.
    A change of caddy, routine, whatever might be just what he needs.

It would certainly be harsh on Ronan, but Padraig needs to look after Padraig first.

Maybe losing his PGA Tour card is exactly the change he needs. It'll be a big lifestyle change for him with far less travelling and more time at home.

He's not going to use his exemption for next year, which is right IMO. Maybe a year mainly on the European tour will be good for him. He can go back to the PGA Tour in a year or two, hopefully with a bit more confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

newport2 wrote: »
    Maybe losing his PGA Tour card is exactly the change he needs. It'll be a big lifestyle change for him with far less travelling and more time at home.

He's not going to use his exemption for next year, which is right IMO. Maybe a year mainly on the European tour will be good for him. He can go back to the PGA Tour in a year or two, hopefully with a bit more confidence.

I fear he will do the same as he does today, just in crappier weather.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wasn't changing things for the sake of them what got him into this mental mess in the first place?

If he was a pc and could do a date restore surely he would?

Wasn't changing things for the sake of them what got him into this mental mess in the first place?

If he was a pc he would have blue-screened in 2009 and limited the damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Id wish he would go to butch harmon.if he did butch would give him a size 9 in the first lesson :), to stop padraig getting "in his own way"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What would changing to the European tour do to help?

He is not being beaten by better players (well he is) but the rpoblem lies with himself not the level of the opposition.

A move back to the European tour will only hasten is fall off.

I think having a different person beside you on the course, with you on the range and talking after the round could really help.

I know I play differently when Im not in my regular 3 ball, I cant only imagine its even more different for a pro with a different caddy on the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I think having a different person beside you on the course, with you on the range and talking after the round could really help.

I know I play differently when Im not in my regular 3 ball, I cant only imagine its even more different for a pro with a different caddy on the bag.

With the greatest of respect to Padraig who is now down to 276th in the world I think it has got to the point even if he wanted to change caddy he is not going to attract a top bagman.

He's made $169K in the US this year which is not going to translate to an awful lot of pay for a caddy.

For me the problem seems to stem from when his head was turned by the TPI guys and everything became too scientific for him. His head was certainly getting in his way and maybe still is to a certain extent.

He was also one of the ones who seemed to suffer most with the groove change, especially around the greens.

This combined with a steady decline in his putting, admitting to having the yips last year and clearly still suffering in some regard based on what we have seen in recent outings.

Despite this he is clearly still a very nice guy. A friend of mine who would be a top amateur has spent a bit of time in his company and even been invited to his house a couple of times, being very generous with his time.

Here's hoping he can turn it around one way or another, whichever method he chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What would changing to the European tour do to help?

He is not being beaten by better players (well he is) but the rpoblem lies with himself not the level of the opposition.

A move back to the European tour will only hasten is fall off.

on the contrary - we're all calling for a change from him in some sort of way to reinvigorate his career. who's to say a change back here won't help. being closer to home can only be a good thing.

Rikand wrote: »
    on the contrary - we're all calling for a change from him in some sort of way to reinvigorate his career. who's to say a change back here won't help. being closer to home can only be a good thing.

Unless he finds that he cant (even) compete on the European tour.

I dont think he needs to attract a top caddy, its not that his current caddy is a problem, its just that it all seems a bit comfortable in failure at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Unless he finds that he cant (even) compete on the European tour.

I dont think he needs to attract a top caddy, its not that his current caddy is a problem, its just that it all seems a bit comfortable in failure at the moment.

That's a good point. Who is his coach now? With his antics on the practice ground, what he might just need is some class of mechanical arse-kicking machine.

Frankly I would suggest ANYTHING to get him playing well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Apparently he plays Italian Open next week and the Omega Masters event in Switzerland. this is to simply fill the quota of European tour events required for the year and possibly, but at the minute unlikely, get himself into the Race to Dubai end of season series. He might get vice captaincy in the Ryder Cup aswel from McGinley.

Then he will travel back to the States to begin the (since last year) new PGA Tour wrap-around season. Granted, he has no PGA Tour card and is considering not using his one year exemption but will instead rely on sponsor invites in these events. A lot of the big players dont enter these events as they are part of the off season but the events are still allocated full fed ex cup points so it seems he is hoping to gain some form in the off season and get a head start on the bigger boys and gather some points. This means Padraig is gona play a ridiculous amount of golf from next week through until xmas in comparison to past years.

:/ I really hope not but this could be the final nail in the coffin by burning himself out completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think it will be good for him to play a lot of golf and keep off the practice grounds. He has had a fair few good rounds the last couple of years but just can put 4 together. Hopefully he will just make a cut and then have the super round over the weekend to maybe win or finish well up a leader board in the next couple of months.

He needs a couple of hundred thousand to make the race to Dubai final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Maybe one day he'll great better

mark316 wrote: »
    Maybe one day he'll great better

Maybe he'll what????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

vienne86 wrote: »
    Maybe he'll what????

Leave the man alone with his typo ! :)

Padraig grates on me too with all his wacky hairbrained improvement kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Sorry boys for the typo, when's Harry next tourney?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mark316 wrote: »
    Sorry boys for the typo, when's Harry next tourney?

Next week in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

It looks like the move to Europe isn't making any difference to Padraig's fortunes. 5 bogeys in his first 9 holes and currently 3 over after 12 and tied for 67th out of the 78 players out on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

back to lvl par. 3 birdies in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Opened with a birdie and still 4 over after 3 holes. Horrible snowman on the 3rd hole. Looks like another MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Opened with a birdie and still 4 over after 3 holes. Horrible snowman on the 3rd hole. Looks like another MC.

Whats a snowman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Just saw he had an 8. I get it now!

Whats a snowman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Painful to watch, 6 off the cut line, against whats mostly a challenge tour dominated field
    Time for a break paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

A total disaster again. Down near the end of the field & way off the cut mark. Sad to see such a great player struggling so badly with his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

He's had some topsy-turvy round today, including an eagle, and a 7 and an 8.

Oh dear, this is a real disappointment. I think he should take the rest of the year off. It's awful to watch. Can't see him doing that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Just needs a 6 on 17 or 18
    To have every number from 2 to 8 on the card 😳
    Brutal stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement