Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Going over to the Algarve on Thursday and hoping to follow Padraig around on Friday. I see that's he teeing off at 8:40 a.m. A bit early (as I will be staying about an hour away from Vilamoura), but I hope to get to see a good portion of his round and then follow Shane Lowry around for a while. Here's hoping for some good weather!

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to follow him around again on Sunday afternoon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

abff wrote: »
    Going over to the Algarve on Thursday and hoping to follow Padraig around on Friday. I see that's he teeing off at 8:40 a.m. A bit early (as I will be staying about an hour away from Vilamoura), but I hope to get to see a good portion of his round and then follow Shane Lowry around for a while. Here's hoping for some good weather!

Enjoy!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

slave1 wrote: »
    Enjoy!

Enjoy, tell Paddy to get his act together.

gladrags wrote: »
    Enjoy, tell Paddy to get his act together.

Hopefully, I'll be too busy congratulating him on his win to offer any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well, I'll be watching on Sky, so give us a wave! Enjoy your trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Just thought I'd throw my view on Paddy's form in to the ring while we look forward to what we hope will be a good week again in Portugal. I've been following his form for a while now as a career long fan of his and always will be regardless at how his form is. What I've noticed in recent times, especially since he's played a bit more on the European Tour is that he's shooting a hell of a lot of birdies, at least a lot more than his aggregate scores seem to suggest. Without stating the bleedin obvious, he's making too many bogeys and worse. Encouragingly from last weekend, he didn't have any doubles, which is a step in the right right direction. The one thing this broad mix of birdies and bogeys+ tells me, to put a positive spin on it, is that his battling traits are as strong as ever. His will to succeed and his competitive nature remain there which is great. The concern I would have on this is that it must be mentally tough to have to keep battling all the time for a good score but again, on a positive note, if anyone can weather that storm then surely Paddy can eventually. What has also struck me through the year is the amount of times he picks up a shot and then gives it straight back (and sometimes vice versa to be fair). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or has thought it to be more frequent than should be normal. Again, that must be mentally draining.

However, I think it is fair to say there are some green shoots coming through in recent weeks. He seems to be making good starts and making cuts with a bit more comfort and more regularly which is a big step in the right direction compared to the rest of the year. I think we all got a bit excited when he remained in contention going into the weekend at the Dunhill. I think he needs to walk before he can run, i.e. a few top tens would be a realistic target before the confidence to really go for it for a win will be back.

To wrap things up, for me to really see a big move forward will be for him to comfortably make a cut and actually kick on from that and climb the leaderboard to a good top ten or even 5. What seems to happen is he makes the cut but just go stagnant or even drops on the leaderboard. I'd nearly prefer that he was lower down the leader board making the cut but puts together 2 better rounds at the weekend to climb to a respectable finish, if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Treble for PH, I blame Marcus!

Arrived in Faro just after 5 yesterday afternoon. As I was driving along the motorway, it started to absolutely lash down. A couple of minutes later, we came to the turn off for Vilamoura. I'm staying about 30 miles further west, but commented that the golfers must be getting pretty wet.

My son said "surely they'll have to stop playing if the weather's that bad". I told him that they'd probably play on unless the course became waterlogged. I got to my apartment and looked up the scores to find that play had been abandoned for the day. I guess my son knows better than I do.

I decided to wait and see what the weather was like today before heading off to Vilamoura. At this stage, I don't think I'll be going today, but the forecast for Sunday is good. I hope Padraig is still around on Sunday. I didn't see any of the golf yesterday because I was travelling, but that treble bogey early on was very unfortunate and he's going to need a very good round today (assuming play gets started at some stage) if he's going to make the cut.

Arrived in Faro just after 5 yesterday afternoon. As I was driving along the motorway, it started to absolutely lash down. A couple of minutes later, we came to the turn off for Vilamoura. I'm staying about 30 miles further west, but commented that the golfers must be getting pretty wet.

My son said "surely they'll have to stop playing if the weather's that bad". I told him that they'd probably play on unless the course became waterlogged. I got to my apartment and looked up the scores to find that play had been abandoned for the day. I guess my son knows better than I do.

I decided to wait and see what the weather was like today before heading off to Vilamoura. At this stage, I don't think I'll be going today, but the forecast for Sunday is good. I hope Padraig is still around on Sunday. I didn't see any of the golf yesterday because I was travelling, but that treble bogey early on was very unfortunate and he's going to need a very good round today (assuming play gets started at some stage) if he's going to make the cut.

Thanks

He has not finished first round as yet,still 1 to play.

Weather still delaying?

Thanks

He has not finished first round as yet,still 1 to play.

Weather still delaying?

That's what the European Tour website is saying. I tried googling to see if I could find an update anywhere, but couldn't find anything further on it. Forecast for today is lots more rain, so not much point in heading there today. Seems likely they won't finish the second round today.

EDIT: Just seen an update. Play scheduled to start at 11.

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw my view on Paddy's form in to the ring while we look forward to what we hope will be a good week again in Portugal. I've been following his form for a while now as a career long fan of his and always will be regardless at how his form is. What I've noticed in recent times, especially since he's played a bit more on the European Tour is that he's shooting a hell of a lot of birdies, at least a lot more than his aggregate scores seem to suggest. Without stating the bleedin obvious, he's making too many bogeys and worse. Encouragingly from last weekend, he didn't have any doubles, which is a step in the right right direction. The one thing this broad mix of birdies and bogeys+ tells me, to put a positive spin on it, is that his battling traits are as strong as ever. His will to succeed and his competitive nature remain there which is great. The concern I would have on this is that it must be mentally tough to have to keep battling all the time for a good score but again, on a positive note, if anyone can weather that storm then surely Paddy can eventually. What has also struck me through the year is the amount of times he picks up a shot and then gives it straight back (and sometimes vice versa to be fair). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or has thought it to be more frequent than should be normal. Again, that must be mentally draining.

However, I think it is fair to say there are some green shoots coming through in recent weeks. He seems to be making good starts and making cuts with a bit more comfort and more regularly which is a big step in the right direction compared to the rest of the year. I think we all got a bit excited when he remained in contention going into the weekend at the Dunhill. I think he needs to walk before he can run, i.e. a few top tens would be a realistic target before the confidence to really go for it for a win will be back.

To wrap things up, for me to really see a big move forward will be for him to comfortably make a cut and actually kick on from that and climb the leaderboard to a good top ten or even 5. What seems to happen is he makes the cut but just go stagnant or even drops on the leaderboard. I'd nearly prefer that he was lower down the leader board making the cut but puts together 2 better rounds at the weekend to climb to a respectable finish, if that makes any sense.

He had a triple b yesterday,which probably knocked him back confidence wise.

I thought he had a great chance to at least finish in the top 2 or 3 last week,his best chance to move up the ranks in a while.

We live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He birdied his last hole of round 1

We live in hope.

Birdied the 18th to get back to one over. Looks like the cut may be 2 or 3 under (assuming 2nd round scores are relatively similar to the 1st round), so he probably needs a 67 to be fairly sure of making the cut.

Birdied his 1st in round 2.

Long wait for the lads out yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

lovely little bird on 18, half hour on the range, then back out to birdy hole one. he is tuned in today

-3 so far for second round

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Play suspended due to waterlogging. 3under after 8 .Only two rounds better than Padraig on the course at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StudioDesign

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Play suspended due to waterlogging. 3under after 8 .Only two rounds better than Padraig on the course at the moment

Unlucky he had to stop now, was going along nicely. Hopefully he can keep it up

To be honest I did not expect to see him start so well.

Hope he keeps it up.

Well he is comfortably making the cut with one hole to go - -5 for his second round. This is great to see. Hope he continues that form today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well he is comfortably making the cut with one hole to go - -5 for his second round. This is great to see. Hope he continues that form today.

54 hole event now.

Great recovery to go from 2 over after 17 to 4 under at the 36 hole mark. Looking forward to following him around tomorrow.

Great recovery to go from 2 over after 17 to 4 under at the 36 hole mark. Looking forward to following him around tomorrow.

It was, you wondered at -2 if he was going to hold on.

Enjoy tomorrow,hope weather picks up.

Great from Padraig. Just hope he has a good round tomorrow. That's all I ask for.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great from Padraig. Just hope he has a good round tomorrow. That's all I ask for.

Weather is a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Nice interview with Paddy. I particularly like how it ends:
    PH: I'd love to be a captain some day.

PK: But not next time?

PH: No, I'm going to play.

PK: You're going to play?

PH: I feel great about my game. I feel I could be better than ever before. I said last week that I want to get back in the top 15 in the World (rankings) and to play in the Olympics in two years' time. I'm still motivated.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/harrington-id-love-to-be-ryder-cup-captain-one-day-30656807.html

Bluefoam wrote: »

Good man, Padraig. He certainly seems to be in a good place at the moment, whatever the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PK - is the ultimate ego journalist. But I just love his pieces - he gets lads to go places they shouldn't but should.

That is a gold piece.

Lovely to hear such a nice bond between the two of them after all these years (Padraig and Paul McGinely)

I have to say - my own doubts about Daren - particular after seeing him moping around at Irish Open a few times , have been confirmed by that piece. We all knew he was not as nice as he tries to come across on tv.

It was, you wondered at -2 if he was going to hold on.

Enjoy tomorrow,hope weather picks up.

Bright blue sky overhead so I figured the weather might hold up. Quick breakfast and off I went. I got about 200 yards down the road when it started to rain. A slight shower, I thought. Next thing, it starts to absolutely bucket down so hard that it's bouncing back up off the road.

So I've decided to watch the golf from the comfort of my apartment. :( I know that makes me a wuss, but I didn't come prepared for this type of weather. Hope my absence from the gallery doesn't upset Padraig too much.

• Advertisement

PK - is the ultimate ego journalist. But I just love his pieces - he gets lads to go places they shouldn't but should.

That is a gold piece.

Lovely to hear such a nice bond between the two of them after all these years (Padraig and Paul McGinely)

I have to say - my own doubts about Daren - particular after seeing him moping around at Irish Open a few times , have been confirmed by that piece. We all knew he was not as nice as he tries to come across on tv.

Yes, great article and PK has a real talent for getting people to open up.

Having read the article, I don't give much for Darren's chances of becoming Ryder Cup captain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement