Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

abff wrote: »
    Yes. Tied 46th with 4 holes to play.

Good,the PGA site is slow to update.

Hopefully one or two more.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Yeah he has a chance to pick up a shot or two now. Decent par 4, tricky enough par 3 followed by a nice par 5. If he can make a par on the par 3 he should get a birdie on the last hole leave himself 2 under for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Finished with a one under round of 70 for a tie for 54th.

Finished with a one under round of 70 for a tie for 54th.

Early start today 11:50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gladrags wrote: »
    Early start today 11:50

14:50 our time.

• Advertisement

14:50 our time.

Was reading over "Journey to the Open" a few days ago.

Carnoustie 2007 blow by blow brought back vivid memories.

Round 2, Paddy is -1 after 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Birdie 2 at the 14th to get back to level par for the day. Currently on the cut mark at 1 under, but may need to get to 2 under to make the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is the pga app not working for anyone else? Mine still says he's on the 12th hole of his first round!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Is the pga app not working for anyone else? Mine still says he's on the 12th hole of his first round!!!

I am using site,same problem he is level on 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

2 birdies in a row 2 under now, hopefully he'll make the cut

• Advertisement

Now 3 under with one to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

projected cut up to -2, hopefully a good last hole to get him to the weekend..

How is it that the cut is -2,and the leader is -8?

Finished -3 and should definitely make the weekend. Cut mark looks like being -2 or -3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

As it is there are 71 players at -2 or better

Lead is now -9 and the joint overnight leaders on -7 haven't started their second round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Are you referring to the 10 shot rule? If so it was scrapped some time ago.

cairny wrote: »
    Are you referring to the 10 shot rule? If so it was scrapped some time ago.

No

PH finished -3

The leader was -9

That is only 6 shot difference.

Thanks
    I must be missing something.

Unless there is a small field numerically.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No

PH finished -3

The leader was -9

Thanks

Field is standard at 142 players.
    There are 76 (T63rd and better) players at -2 or better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

No

PH finished -3

The leader was -9

Thanks

Not sure what you are asking about. The 65 players (and ties) with the best scores make the cut. What the leader is at is irrelevant.

First Up wrote: »
    Not sure what you are asking about. The 65 players (and ties) with the best scores make the cut. What the leader is at is irrelevant.

In the PGA Tour it's top 70 and ties.

I think the point he's making is that the spread between the leader and the cut mark is a lot less than he would expect. I think 6 shots between first and last of those making the cut would be on the low side, but not without precedent. Anyway, it remains to be seen what the final spread will be.

First Up wrote: »

Ok

It may be that it is a small field.

Thanks

Ok

Thanks

You can get a large spread with a small field and a small spread with a large field. As someone pointed out a couple of posts ago, the filed for this event is not that small - it's 144 players, which is fairly standard for PGA Tour events.

Ok

Thanks

Still don't get your point - or your question.

OK, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to try to explain this as I'm not sure anyone is seriously interested in the answer, but here goes.

The more players in a filed, the greater the chance that there will be one or more outliers who shoot exceptionally low scores. There is also likely to be a greater number of players clustered around the mid point in the field, assuming scores are more or less normally distributed. As the half way cut tends to eliminate approximately 50% of the filed (based on a standard 144 or 156 man filed), it is likely that there will be a significant number of players clustered around the cut mark.

Statistically speaking, there is likely to be some correlation between the number of players and the spread between the halfway leader and the cut mark. But other factors also come into play, including the strength in depth of the field, how easy or difficult the course is playing and whether there is any great variation in the weather over the first two days. There is also a lot of randomness about whether one or more players will have an exceptional couple of days when almost everything seems to go right for them.

So, while it's reasonable to say that a smaller spread in scores might on average be expected if there is a smaller field, it is a bit of a leap to suggest that a relatively tight spread implies that there must be a small field.

EDIT: By the way, the leader is now on -10 and it's looking likely that the cut will remain at -2, so there is likely to be a spread of 8 shots (or more, as there are a number of -7s still having 9 or more holes to play).

OK, your initial posts suggested you were talking about how the cut was decided rather than how the scores were panning out.
    Its a standard field so I guess its just an unusual scoring pattern.

79 players made the cut on -2 or better. Two tee start today with a third round cut. Harrington in the first group off from the 10th at 9:50 local time (17:50 BST).

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Back on topic it was a super closing few holes for Padraig. Birdies on 14,15 and 17 ensured he made the cut. And it could have been better--he only parred the par 5 16th, the easiest hole on the course

• Advertisement

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Back on topic it was a super closing few holes for Padraig. Birdies on 14,15 and 17 ensured he made the cut. And it could have been better--he only parred the par 5 16th, the easiest hole on the course

He'll need to make his putts today if he is to make it through to Sunday. Big ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement