Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well he's 98 in the race to Dubai, so on that alone, he has a European card.

He has a 10 year exemption in Europe anyway since his last major win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It'll be great to see him on the European Tour next season.....sponsors will like it too, even though he is not the draw he was, but he'll get a good bit of TV coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

After the recent Ryder cup. Harrington said with the indo that all that mattered to him in his career was more majors and his plan over the next two years was to win tournaments, move up the rankings and represent Ireland at the Olympics in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

And when that runs out, he will remain eligible due to his position in the career earnings top 40. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    After the recent Ryder cup. Harrington said with the indo that all that mattered to him in his career was more majors and his plan over the next two years was to win tournaments, move up the rankings and represent Ireland at the Olympics in 2016.

I saw that about the Olympics - but assumed that was a target he set himself just to get fired up with his overall Golf.

Mind you - one good result could change a lot - from some stuff I was reading last night Oliver Wilson was 792 in the world before the Dunhill Links - which incidentally was an event Padraig put in a good enough performance in.

It was because of the Dunhill Links that I started paying closer attention to Padraig in the last few weeks.

Probably have being paying more attention to him now then I ever did when he was winning majors - as I have more interest in Golf now then I had then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Old diesel wrote: »
    I saw that about the Olympics - but assumed that was a target he set himself just to get fired up with his overall Golf.

Mind you - one good result could change a lot - from some stuff I was reading last night Oliver Wilson was 792 in the world before the Dunhill Links - which incidentally was an event Padraig put in a good enough performance in.

It was because of the Dunhill Links that I started paying closer attention to Padraig in the last few weeks.

Probably have being paying more attention to him now then I ever did when he was winning majors - as I have more interest in Golf now then I had then.

The Dunhill Links is a great tournament for giving British & Irish guys a bit of a springboard.

Only 3 players from outside Britian & Ireland have won it since it started in 2001.

Big prizemoney for what it is really, a competitivd pro am really, but I like it.

David Howell was the winner in 2013. Nice to see these guys having another day in the sun, or in Wilsons case, another good phase of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

It'll be great to see him on the European Tour next season.....sponsors will like it too, even though he is not the draw he was, but he'll get a good bit of TV coverage.

Is he not a life member (awarded due to his work off the course) and this guarantee's him his euro card regardless.

Is he not a life member (awarded due to his work off the course) and this guarantee's him his euro card regardless.

Never heard that, though you might be right. Either way, he'll be able to play in Europe probably until he becomes a senior.

He's played three holes so far today, and is plus 6 for them - a bogey on his first and a quint bogey (?????i.e. 5 over par) on his third........for the love of God, what is the man doing?
    ......and has just got a birdie on the next to be 5 over now for the day after four holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Oh well 3 holes in and it's curtains for any kind of climb up the leaderboard!that's just disasterous on the 3rd.however,in keeping with unrelenting positivity,I'd like to see him recover and put together a good round together from here in spite of that!

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Oh well 3 holes in and it's curtains for any kind of climb up the leaderboard!that's just disasterous on the 3rd.however,in keeping with unrelenting positivity,I'd like to see him recover and put together a good round together from here in spite of that!

Oh I'd like him to put in a good recovery too. But 9 on a par 4 sounds like something NO pro golfer should do. I wonder what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Oh I'd like him to put in a good recovery too. But 9 on a par 4 sounds like something NO pro golfer should do. I wonder what happened.

Obviously, but I'm sure that wasnt part of the plan!he's followed up with a couple of birdies which says a lot about the man as a golfer!I'm sure there's a few golfers out there who'd probably walk off the course after a nine like that where he found the drink and 4 putted,especially from his position on the leaderboard. But in a weird way,it's that ability to bounce back that makes it so frustrating to follow him.if he could just eliminate the nuclear mistakes he'd be a hell of a lot more competitive. But until the next sadly,it's going to cost him cuts if its on the Thursday or friday or a decent finish at the weekend as is the case here.

It seems ages to me since he had a real blow up on a hole.....that's what's so disappointing about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I knew a lad who was a stellar junior. Got to +5 and had every shot in the book. Turned pro and vanished - selling Mars bars in some minor club in England. The problem wasn't his game, it was between the ears. He seemed to always have one horror hole per round and he he spent the other 17 waiting for it.

It looks as if PH is suffering the same problem. There's thousands of wonderful golfers in the same boat but not many managed three majors before it set in.

But sorry to say, I reckon he is done for.

He's had a couple more bogies, so it looks like he won't be putting in the hoped for good round. No doubt Sky will tell us about the 9 when they come on at 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Stone last and just an embarrassment to go from top 10 to this in the space of two rounds.

Stone last and just an embarrassment to go from top 10 to this in the space of two rounds.

His score card is bizarre today - 10 holes played, three pars, three birdies, three bogies, and the other thing.....+ 5 for the round. And I was hoping for some consistency......not today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

This is the 3rd hole, according to play-by-play.

Shot 9 in the hole
    Shot 8 putt 2 ft 6 in., 6 in. to hole
    Shot 7 putt 6 ft 8 in., 2 ft 10 in. to hole
    Shot 6 putt 25 ft 8 in., 3 ft 7 in. to hole
    Shot 5 60 ft to green, 22 ft to hole
    Shot 4 17 ft to right fairway, 38 ft to hole
    Shot 3 40 yds to right rough, 52 ft to hole
    Shot 2 93 yds to water, 69 ft to hole
    Shot 1 306 yds, 113 yds to hole

Presumably shot 3 was a drop? At that stage, he was 52 feet from the hole and presumably hoping (expecting?) to get up and down for a bogey.

How did he manage to take anther 6 shots from there? Three to get from 52 feet away to 3 feet 7 inches and another three to get the ball in the hole.:eek:

I'm at a loss for words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know its ridiculous to analyze but did he really leave a putt inside 3 foot short (shot8)?
    Maybe a one handed effort at tapping in when he was fryed! Most likely a horse shoe out where distance isnt calculated.
    Some mare, thank god the calendar year is coming to an end for him.

abff wrote: »
    This is the 3rd hole, according to play-by-play.

Shot 9 in the hole
    Shot 8 putt 2 ft 6 in., 6 in. to hole
    Shot 7 putt 6 ft 8 in., 2 ft 10 in. to hole
    Shot 6 putt 25 ft 8 in., 3 ft 7 in. to hole
    Shot 5 60 ft to green, 22 ft to hole
    Shot 4 17 ft to right fairway, 38 ft to hole
    Shot 3 40 yds to right rough, 52 ft to hole
    Shot 2 93 yds to water, 69 ft to hole
    Shot 1 306 yds, 113 yds to hole

Presumably shot 3 was a drop? At that stage, he was 52 feet from the hole and presumably hoping (expecting?) to get up and down for a bogey.

How did he manage to take anther 6 shots from there? Three to get from 52 feet away to 3 feet 7 inches and another three to get the ball in the hole.:eek:

I'm at a loss for words.

That's unbelievalbe. And judging from his antics on the green, he was in bits at that stage.

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Obviously, but I'm sure that wasnt part of the plan!he's followed up with a couple of birdies which says a lot about the man as a golfer!I'm sure there's a few golfers out there who'd probably walk off the course after a nine like that where he found the drink and 4 putted,especially from his position on the leaderboard. But in a weird way,it's that ability to bounce back that makes it so frustrating to follow him.if he could just eliminate the nuclear mistakes he'd be a hell of a lot more competitive. But until the next sadly,it's going to cost him cuts if its on the Thursday or friday or a decent finish at the weekend as is the case here.

Okay a nightmare round

BUT if he was plus 6 after 3 does that mean that now he is plus 4 after 14 - does that mean hes somehow managed to do the following 11 holes in 2 under par????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Thats terrible, even by his recent standards. Simply not up to competing even at that level anymore.
    Its not just bad luck, a bad bounce, putting a bit off, or needs a rest, or needs competitive rounds, needs new glasses or putter grip. Really painful now to watch such a superb sportsman unable to recognise the reality and call it a day. Titles, more cash, and the fun of competitive golf still to come for him on the Chamions tour in a few years.
    But for the moment, call a halt to this passion.

Thats terrible, even by his recent standards. Simply not up to competing even at that level anymore.
    Its not just bad luck, a bad bounce, putting a bit off, or needs a rest, or needs competitive rounds, needs new glasses or putter grip. Really painful now to watch such a superb sportsman unable to recognise the reality and call it a day. Titles, more cash, and the fun of competitive golf still to come for him on the Chamions tour in a few years.
    But for the moment, call a halt to this passion.

But is he obliged to retire just to keep you happy????

I say let the man do whatever makes him happy - let him do what hes going to do.

Its obviously disappointing hes lost form - but even with the nightmare 6 over after 3 - hes still somehow managed to do 3 under in 12 holes from 3 to 15 - that surely says something positive about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

yes he is 3 under for last 12.

Hard to get your head around the 9 - looking at it on shot tracker.

But I think we are all realising - shot tracker is a very limited tool - particularly the US one.

But - I think he has a good week in him.

I'm not actually trolling there.

For example - I could see him have a top 20 say in an Open - or an Irish Open.

Harder events when it is not a kids scoring fest.

Langer - Watson - Jimenez - Woosnam -- Monty , all have done it.

I don't understand why people think Padraig is different.

All of above have had bad years.

He actually has played way better in rounds this year than I expected. I bet Padraig still thinks he is closer than many here think he is - yes we shouldn't talk about a pro being - 3 under for 12 , but , he will have good week , if he can do that.

To add to above , he is 19 shots behind leader - a event like this is not, now or ever was going to be an event for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Perazzi

Hi seen this man play in Adare years ago and was not impressed with the way he handle the crowed totally shocked and after it was only a charity event coming back to haunt him

Perazzi wrote: »
    Hi seen this man play in Adare years ago and was not impressed with the way he handle the crowed totally shocked and after it was only a charity event coming back to haunt him

And what happened ?

Me neither.

A consistent period of years of being off the pace late in the career.
    Watson was in a different league to P anyway, and a last hurrah like will probably not be seen again for decades.

yes he is 3 under for last 12.

Hard to get your head around the 9 - looking at it on shot tracker.

But I think we are all realising - shot tracker is a very limited tool - particularly the US one.

But - I think he has a good week in him.

For example - I could see him have a top 20 say in an Open - or an Irish Open.

Harder events when it is not a kids scoring fest.

Langer - Watson - Jimenez - Woosnam -- Monty , all have done it.

All of above have had bad years.

He actually has played way better in rounds this year than I expected. I bet Padraig still thinks he is closer than many here think he is - yes we shouldn't talk about a pro being - 3 under for 12 , but , he will have good week , if he can do that.

My point on the 3 under for the 12 holes - is firstly - it takes something to achieve that NORMALLY - to do it after being plus 6 after 3 and one nightmare shot - takes strong character.

In addition - if you take the nightmare plus 5 out of the equation with a plus 3 for the day (including that) he would be 2 under for the day and 3 under for the tournament - although I may have calculated that all wrong.

Old diesel wrote: »
    My point on the 3 under for the 12 holes - is firstly - it takes something to achieve that NORMALLY - to do it after being plus 6 after 3 and one nightmare shot - takes strong character.

In addition - if you take the nightmare plus 5 out of the equation with a plus 3 for the day (including that) he would be 2 under for the day and 3 under for the tournament - although I may have calculated that all wrong.

You cant take a nighmare hole out of the equation. Or the bad round. Or the round where the putting is cat. Or the one where the draw time weather doesnt favour him. The bottom line is, week in week out, even with a b-league field like this week he cannot cut it.

• Advertisement

Me neither.

A consistent period of years of being off the pace late in the career.
    Watson was in a different league to P anyway, and a last hurrah like will probably not be seen again for decades.

But I could mention 20 golfers. Padraig has more major than most of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement