Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Old diesel wrote: »
    My point on the 3 under for the 12 holes - is firstly - it takes something to achieve that NORMALLY - to do it after being plus 6 after 3 and one nightmare shot - takes strong character.

In addition - if you take the nightmare plus 5 out of the equation with a plus 3 for the day (including that) he would be 2 under for the day and 3 under for the tournament - although I may have calculated that all wrong.

But most lad on here could do that - the pros that are wining - hardly have any nightmares all week. They score a birdie every 3 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You cant take a nighmare hole out of the equation. Or the bad round. Or the round where the putting is cat. Or the one where the draw time weather doesnt favour him. The bottom line is, week in week out, even with a b-league field like this week he cannot cut it.

If he can't cut it he can't cut it.

I just think that getting that 2 under over 12 is impressive given what happened IMMEDIATELY before that.

Tbh - I just respect the man for trying to keep going at it.

I don't expect him win another golf tournament imo as he hasn't got the consistency to do it.

BUT - the chap still is - and ALWAYS will be a 3 time major champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Langer - Watson - Jimenez - Woosnam -- Monty , all have done it.

I don't understand why people think Padraig is different.

All of above have had bad years.

He actually has played way better in rounds this year than I expected. I bet Padraig still thinks he is closer than many here think he is - yes we shouldn't talk about a pro being

Those golfers are the exceptions, rare expections. It's much more likely that he will become the rule... Become part of the group of 300+(guess) golfers that have fallen away into retirement without any success (since the first comeback from your group above).

So you could ask the question: What makes him different from the majority?

He may be close but there's such fine margins that he's probably miles away from winning anything big.

I hope he does, and if there's anyone to be the odds, Padraig is a great candidate. But there's 72 holes of hope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

But most lad on here could do that - the pros that are wining - hardly have any nightmares all week. They score a birdie every 3 holes.

Just the point. A pro should only have a nightmare like that once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

You cant take a nighmare hole out of the equation. Or the bad round. Or the round where the putting is cat. Or the one where the draw time weather doesnt favour him. The bottom line is, week in week out, even with a b-league field like this week he cannot cut it.

No, you can't ignore the bad holes. But you also shouldn't totally dismiss the good holes and the character he showed in scoring five birdies after such a disastrous start to his round.

• Advertisement

So where/when's Harrington playing next?

abff wrote: »
    No, you can't ignore the bad holes. But you also shouldn't totally dismiss the good holes and the character he showed in scoring five birdies after such a disastrous start to his round.

Exactly - and neither should one dismiss the fact that for 2 rounds in this tournament - he did do quite well.

Not sure what the future holds for him - but I think Padraig should be the man to decide what he thinks is right for him to do - not people on an internet forum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In fairness, his good holes have been good for some time now. He has regularly put in good birdie stats relative to the field.

At all levels of golf, the hardest and most important thing is eliminating the bad stuff imo.

Exactly - and neither should one dismiss the fact that for 2 rounds in this tournament - he did do quite well.

Not sure what the future holds for him - but I think Padraig should be the man to decide what he thinks is right for him to do - not people on an internet forum

Of course he will do what he thinks is best for himself. Golf is his life, and I'd say he'll keep plugging away at it.

vienne86 wrote: »
    So where/when's Harrington playing next?

The name of the tournament escapes me - but I think its in Mexico - either this week or next.

• Advertisement

That is why - to add and to answer PARlance's post - why I feel Padraig is different.

Yes none of us know how these things pan out , when you lose you game Like Duval etc, your game can be gone.

But- I would put Padraig in another mental category - yes this is a problem for him now, but it will bring him back at some stage.

I would put Padraig in the same group as a Roy Keane a BOD etc. They have a drive that makes them , it is another level.

I just don't see him drinking Martini's in the Bahamas with that ( I won't say) JP and Magnier. He may for a while - but will have a serious comeback.

I'd honestly put 200 euro on him having say a top 10 at an Open in next 5.

Could be wrong - But look at Clarke

Padraig+Harrington+J+p+Mcmanus+Alfred+Dunhill+Ol4PoYSNpUPl.jpg

The name of the tournament escapes me - but I think its in Mexico - either this week or next.

Thanks - just found it. The OHL Classic.

Finished with another 76 today. 75th on the leaderboard, out of 75 who made the cut. Get the clubs in the car and get out of there!

Thanks - just found it. The OHL Classic.

Finished with another 76 today. 75th on the leaderboard, out of 75 who made the cut. Get the clubs in the car and get out of there!

Does he actually get prize money on the basis of making the cut.

Or rather what position would he have had to finish to win something moneywise

See I might be wrong here

But if he is actually able to put in good rounds - even if nothing like as consistent as wed like.

Does that show that he still has some level of ability????

I mean if the nightmare 76s were reflective of what he can do - id have thought it would be impossible to be in the top 20 after the first two rounds????

I agree the step he needs to make to get improving again is to eliminate the mistakes and the bad rounds.

But are the good rounds when he puts them in - a demonstration that he still has something in him.

Or am I indulging in wishful thinking????

In Europe you certainly get something for just making the cut, AFAIK. Don't know about the PGA tour though.

See I might be wrong here

But if he is actually able to put in good rounds - even if nothing like as consistent as wed like.

Does that show that he still has some level of ability????

I mean if the nightmare 76s were reflective of what he can do - id have thought it would be impossible to be in the top 20 after the first two rounds????

I agree the step he needs to make to get improving again is to eliminate the mistakes and the bad rounds.

But are the good rounds when he puts them in - a demonstration that he still has something in him.

Or am I indulging in wishful thinking????

Yes - being a top pro is not about having a good round in you - they all have that.

To twist the logic - it is about , not having a bad round in you.

Yes - being a top pro is not about having a good round in you - they all have that.

To twist the logic - it is about , not having a bad round in you.

I agree.

But he keeps sucking you in - when he does something like go plus 6 after 3 - and somehow recover to deliver -2 for the remaining 15 holes.

You keep thinking the -2 over remaining 15 holes after the disaster might show signs of something positive at a later date.

Now the question for me is who am I going to follow instead - this isn't good for my blood pressure :D

And I get the earlier point you can't ignore the bad hole - but the reality is that the score REFLECTS the bad hole already.

I agree.

But he keeps sucking you in - when he does something like go plus 6 after 3 - and somehow recover to deliver -2 for the remaining 15 holes.

You keep thinking the -2 over remaining 15 holes after the disaster might show signs of something positive at a later date.

Now the question for me is who am I going to follow instead - this isn't good for my blood pressure :D

And I get the earlier point you can't ignore the bad hole - but the reality is that the score REFLECTS the bad hole already.

I agree maybe that why I hang on emotionally - beyond where I should. I love that we have an "Irish" lad that won majors.

Like love watching Rory.

But would only feel that way about Padraig and Shane.

I agree.

You're spot on. Every week I say, this'll be good.....and then I get mad and my blood pressure goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

That is why - to add and to answer PARlance's post - why I feel Padraig is different.

Yes none of us know how these things pan out , when you lose you game Like Duval etc, your game can be gone.

But- I would put Padraig in another mental category - yes this is a problem for him now, but it will bring him back at some stage.

Duval nearly won a US Open after being in the doldrums for years. Michael Cambell won a US Open after having a period of years where he couldn't make a cut.

Henrik Stenson twice came back from the wilderness, Lee Westwood slipped way outside the top 100 before coming back to be world number 1.

Darren Clarke won the Open from almost nowhere. Angel Cabrera regularly goes from zero to hero.

The class players nearly always come back for a last hurrah or sometimes another run of success. Norman at Birkdale, Watson at Troon, Couples at the Masters, Els at the Open. If I though I while longer I could name a lot more.

I'd say it's more unusual for the top players to disappear without trace than mount some sort of comeback.

I agree with you Fix and reckon Harry will go very close to another Jug at some point, probably when everyone has finally given up on him.

• Advertisement

Everyone who makes the 36 hole cut gets prize money, unless they are disqualified or withdraw from the tournament. Padraig won $7,680 for his tied 73rd finish and just under 1 Fedex Cup point (you get 1 point for 70th, 0.98 for 71st and so on).

Full results are shown here http://espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tournamentId=2254

So he's playing in Mexico this week.....who'll be sucked in again? Me for one!

There seems to be contradictory information on Padraig's website about his playing schedule. On the RHS it shows that he is playing in Mexico next week and he appears on the entry list for this event on the PGA Tour website. But in his review of the Sanderson Farms Championship, it says that he is now going to South Africa for two events.

It says on his own website that he is playing in Mexico.

It says on his own website that he is playing in Mexico.

Yes, I know that. I was quoting from his website. But it also says that he's playing in South Africa for the next two weeks. Hence my confusion. :confused:

Yes, I know that. I was quoting from his website. But it also says that he's playing in South Africa for the next two weeks. Hence my confusion. :confused:

OK - saw that. I'd say he'll be in Mexico. Another few places down in the ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hopefully there's no shot tracker at Playa del Carmen.

Hopefully there's no shot tracker at Playa del Carmen.

Hopefully he'll be getting TV coverage.....he was las week until the wheels came off.

There seems to be contradictory information on Padraig's website about his playing schedule. On the RHS it shows that he is playing in Mexico next week and he appears on the entry list for this event on the PGA Tour website. But in his review of the Sanderson Farms Championship, it says that he is now going to South Africa for two events.

I wonder would the South Africa events be some kind of attempt to try and rebuild and get some confidence back????

Possibly a change of plan following the last 2 rounds

• Advertisement

Still showing on this list for Mexico?????

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/ohl-classic-at-mayakoba/field.html

Im not sure how quickly that updates though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement