Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So far so good.....I'm nearly afraid to look! -1 after 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

birdie on the par 4 eleventh. 2under t17th after eleven holes with half the field still to start.Leader at -6

First bogey of the day on 12......one under now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

And more tales of woe on the par 5 for a 7, back to +1.

Here we go again....seven on the par 5 13th. Included two penalty drops so I presume he was in the water twice. Now at one over and well down the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Four shots gone in four holes, unfortunately. Maybe he needs to do what Sergio did a few years ago and take a few months break from the game.

bogeys at 15 and 16.....sigh....it sucks the like out of me.What must it be like for himself?

Here is the impressive front nine.................

fa7pyv.png

...........and the not too impressive back nine

124ef53.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    bogeys at 15 and 16.....sigh....it sucks the like out of me.What must it be like for himself?

That's the thing - I reckon Padraigs difficulties are worse for the man himself.

One thing I was wondering - and ive no idea if im barking up the wrong tree here.

But as we know hes struggling at this level at the moment - so im wondering

1) Can he go down a level or 2 if he wants to rebuilt and see how he goes.

2) Or if he does what someone mentioned above takes a break - how does he rebuilt.

The problems after hole 11 are a disaster for him - but the weird thing is that his first 10/11 holes today - AND the first two rounds last week show he still has a certain level of ability - in my opinion.

The difficulty I think is that he is

1) Too inconsistent from round to round - or even within a round - in the last round last week - he managed to do BOTH +6 in the first 3 holes AND then immediately follow up with a -3 over the following 12 holes. He had done the exact opposite today - started well - hit bother later on in the round

2) The putting issues are well known and its hard to know how he can address them so he can have better consistency - obviously the putting contributes to the consistency issue.

3) seems very prone to bad mistakes - which today have undone what was a decent round - BEFORE the mistakes set in

One thing I will say though - and it merits repeating - IF Padraig Harrington decided tomorrow morning he never wanted to hit another golf ball again - he is still a 3 time major winner - and nothing will change that.

Tbh - im gutted for the guy that things aren't going well - but hes not the first Golfer this has happened to - and won't be the last.

Its the nature of that particular sport imo - although I agree that the length of his spell in the doldrums does seem very long.

I put that down however to the fact that other golfers might have walked away a year or 2 ago. But I am probably wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Old diesel wrote: »
    1) Can he go down a level or 2 if he wants to rebuilt and see how he goes.

He already is down a level or two in the tournaments he is playing in these days. The big guns are either taking time off, or else where.

The difficulty I think is that he is

1) Too inconsistent from round to round - or even within a round
    2) The putting issues are well known
    3) seems very prone to bad mistakes

With golf, this is the same as saying 'The difficulty I think is that he is not good enough'.

• Advertisement

Taking a long break is the only thing I can think of that may help him. But somehow I think he just can't get himself away from golf. It's really tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Please someone shut this thread down!

He already is down a level or two in the tournaments he is playing in these days. The big guns are either taking time off, or else where.

With golf, this is the same as saying 'The difficulty I think is that he is not good enough'.

What I mean is - this is part of the PGA is playing in yes????

So can he move down from PGA/European level to for example the challenge tour.

As for him not being good enough - your right in terms of how he is playing at the moment.

My point further on in the post - is that - imo - we have seen that he still has a certain amount of capability in that last week he did 2 rounds in 5 under par.

He also performed well at times in the Dunhill Links recently - especially over the first few rounds - but the final weekend saw a bit of a slip

He obviously had a disastrous final 2 rounds last week - hence the consistency issue.

What the future holds for him I have no idea.

It would be sad to see his career end in this way - but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The problem I see with him is his honesty, he has spoken about the witnessing other major winners (probably 1 off winners) not coming to terms with the great feat they achieved in winning one until it's too late to enjoy it, he wanted more and back then he chased perfection with Tiger as the goal.

He decided to change his game to pursue Tiger, as things turned out Tiger came back to the field, so I believe if he hadn't he probably would have got to No.1, but I respect him more for going for it.

Now though as a slightly older man with growing kids he has gone from goal driven to being pleased with past achievements, he will occasionally have moments of clarity and concentration but his heart is not in it, he is happy where he is and for the 1st time in his career he is not being honest about the fact that he is fairly happy being in the field as a 3 time major winner and not being favourite to win.

He'll cruise tournaments as a Senior when his life has moved on to the next phase.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Taking a long break is the only thing I can think of that may help him. But somehow I think he just can't get himself away from golf. It's really tragic.

That may not even work :( - as its really hard (I think) to get your game back if your really struggling with it.

Hence I think a drop down to a lower level of Golf - even NON professional golf (amateur)

My own view is that IF HE wants to keep playing and can keep getting into events - then he should do so.

The key point is not whats right for us - but whats right for Padraig - and what HE wants to do.

The rest of us have the option of NOT watching him if we can't stand watching him - imo

Incidentally the idea of taking a break from Golf - do those who suggest it mean a break from Pro Golf - fine - or non pro golf as well.

If its all Golf - I think that's a bit OTT - I can't see why he can't rock up to a golf course in Ireland like any other Golfer and hit a few rounds like all the other golfers out there

Kenny B wrote: »
    The problem I see with him is his honesty, he has spoken about the witnessing other major winners (probably 1 off winners) not coming to terms with the great feat they achieved in winning one until it's too late to enjoy it, he wanted more and back then he chased perfection with Tiger as the goal.

He decided to change his game to pursue Tiger, as things turned out Tiger came back to the field, so I believe if he hadn't he probably would have got to No.1, but I respect him more for going for it.

Now though as a slightly older man with growing kids he has gone from goal driven to being pleased with past achievements, he will occasionally have moments of clarity and concentration but his heart is not in it, he is happy where he is and for the 1st time in his career he is not being honest about the fact that he is fairly happy being in the field as a 3 time major winner and not being favourite to win.

He'll cruise tournaments as a Senior when his life has moved on to the next phase.

Is he REALLY happy with where he is right now though.

I certainly think its logical that this would be the case - because regardless of his poor form in the last number of years - hes still a 3 time major champion - theres guys outperforming him right now that will never be 3 time major champions.

And he should be happy to have done that.

But I get the impression - hed really like to get out of the current slump and finish on a better note then this.

Apologies for having too many posts on this thread

Is he REALLY happy with where he is right now though.

I certainly think its logical that this would be the case - because regardless of his poor form in the last number of years - hes still a 3 time major champion - theres guys outperforming him right now that will never be 3 time major champions.

And he should be happy to have done that.

But I get the impression - hed really like to get out of the current slump and finish on a better note then this.

I'm sure he is not one bit happy with where he is right now, but I think the only way he can figure about how to improve his golf is to work hard at his golf. The trouble is that his golf is not going at all well.

If he walked away from the golf right now, we would all respect him. He is one great guy. But no matter how frustrating it is for us to watch him, it is just awful for the man himself. He should just do what he thinks is right for him.

I'm sure he is not one bit happy with where he is right now, but I think the only way he can figure about how to improve his golf is to work hard at his golf. The trouble is that his golf is not going at all well.

If he walked away from the golf right now, we would all respect him. He is one great guy. But no matter how frustrating it is for us to watch him, it is just awful for the man himself. He should just do what he thinks is right for him.

The thing I struggle with is that last week - he did two rounds in 5 under par - that's a massive difference to doing what he did in shooting 4 over in two rounds.

The bad 4 over type rounds is why his Golf isn't going well.

If he could achieve the 5 under par for 36 holes MORE consistently - this would enable him to improve his position.

Because that sort of performance would see him higher up the leader board and drive further good things

I don't think hes completely lost all ability to play Golf - as he wouldn't have being able to do 5 under par for the first 2 rounds last week if he did imo - but he is unable at the moment to perform as he did in the first two rounds of the Sanderson farms - on a regular enough basis - or a consistent enough basis.

I absolutely agree he should do whats right FOR HIM - it would be horrible for him to feel he had to give up because OTHERS told him to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

+3 & in 118th position after round 1. I think he needs to give golf a complete break for a while. Confidence seems to be at a very low ebb. He still speaks very positively about his game but it is hard to believe at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The thing I struggle with is that last week - he did two rounds in 5 under par - that's a massive difference to doing what he did in shooting 4 over in two rounds.

The bad 4 over type rounds is why his Golf isn't going well.

If he could achieve the 5 under par for 36 holes MORE consistently - this would enable him to improve his position.

Because that sort of performance would see him higher up the leader board and drive further good things

I don't think hes completely lost all ability to play Golf - as he wouldn't have being able to do 5 under par for the first 2 rounds last week if he did imo - but he is unable at the moment to perform as he did in the first two rounds of the Sanderson farms - on a regular enough basis - or a consistent enough basis.

I absolutely agree he should do whats right FOR HIM - it would be horrible for him to feel he had to give up because OTHERS told him to do so.

His drive to be the best is gone, unless it's like a fire inside you it is impossible to achieve the levels he once did, that's why I say he is happy, he got the best out of himself when he was able to focus and concentrate for long periods. A slip in concentration for 2 seconds costs 2 shots - the double bogey usually provides the kick up the arse to refocus, but the fact that he loses focus is the point.

He is dead right to continue playing and having fun because he clearly still enjoys the game and probably does believe that he can come again.

I can't understand the logic of someone on the outside saying he should stop, why would he stop, he's enjoying his life as a multiple major winner.

He has the Olympics as a goal and the fact that Rory declared Ireland has hindered his chances of playing there, (Brazil, his 1st win on tour?), if Rory went GB, I think it would have helped him in the long run.

His desire for perfection seems to be eating him up inside now. Poor guy.

It is awful for us watching this unfold, but what must it be like for his family?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

He should get lessons seriously or if he is maybe change coach. all the Pro's get lessons from time to time. luck how Rory seasons kicked on when he had a putting lesson with Dave Stockton! or maybe a little break as he a holiday with his family.

Or maybe he is happy, Think about it, he's still a 3 time Major winner and he's still living the dream getting paid to play golf all over the world! and he's said in ton's of interviews he absolutely loves the game!!

I'd gladly swap with him! Would you?

Surely he has a coach - he used to go to Bob Torrance but then moved away from him......and it didn't work.

Im sure he has but how often is he going? they don't go that regular when the season starts maybe he needs to change if he is, or do a camp for a week or so, for confidence more than anything.

I'm nearly afraid to mention it .....but..... I still wonder about a change of caddy.....Ronan Flood does nothing wrong IMO, but perhaps a different voice in his ear when he is playing and practicing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'm nearly afraid to mention it .....but..... I still wonder about a change of caddy.....Ronan Flood does nothing wrong IMO, but perhaps a different voice in his ear when he is playing and practicing....

Clutching......at........straws

Clutching......at........straws

I fully admit this! I am not in the 'sack the manager' or 'sack the caddy' or 'sack the coach' schools. But has he ever had another caddy? Given that they ar inlaws, they must never get away from each other....not that it is any of our business.

look if I was a Pro on Tour I would want a mate on the bag, he is a professional and shouldn't need advise from his caddy, same issue cropped up about Rory when he was going through his bad batch. Caddys are not a Issue IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

I think he has too many voices in his ear already!

If he's not taking up his PGA Tour exemption next year, then maybe most of the season on the European tour will do him good. Back to where he started off. Here's hoping.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement