Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Birdie Birdie start today for Padraig, alas still three shots outside the projected cut mark due to yesterday's fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

And the rollercoaster continues....he opens up on day 2 with a birdie on his first two holes...back to +1...projected cut is still a bit off at -2....ITHICS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I know it is great that we will see more of him in Europe next year.....but I can see my blood pressure rising!

Another birdie...-3 after four holes..........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

REBELSAFC wrote: »

And this is the lad - who has to pack it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

And this is the lad - who has to pack it in.

It would be great if he could keep this going. I think the cut mark is going to move to -3, so there's still a lot of work to do. But so far, so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Goes to show he still has the game.
    Don't know what his targets are for the year, but it seems to me he's playing too much golf. Should have a word with Stricker or Scott, albeit his options wouldn't be as vast as theirs.

abff wrote: »
    It would be great if he could keep this going. I think the cut mark is going to move to -3, so there's still a lot of work to do. But so far, so good.

I think you might have spoken too soon.................

REBELSAFC wrote: »

Sort of watching the screen between my fingers......here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Uh - oh..

• Advertisement

And all 3 shots have gone at the 5th. Kind of sums up Padraig's season to date.

Took the fingers away......oh Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just looked at the app and thought steady start, level after 5...then looked at the scorecard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

He's all action, you'd get your money's worth following his match. At a guess he'll be smiling again by the 7th hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Goes to show he still has the game.
    Don't know what his targets are for the year, but it seems to me he's playing too much golf. Should have a word with Stricker or Scott, albeit his options wouldn't be as vast as theirs.

A major difficulty for him is without doubt the fact he is prone to have disasters of shots - like the one hes had at the 5th hole with a plus 3.

Looking at the leader board his bogied the 6th hole as well

Yeah, all three shots gone. Simply can't keep the big ugly numbers off his card, it's all well and good to say he ''still has the game'' when he fires in a few birdies, but that's rubbish, look at the leaderboard and you've got average players firing in 65s and 66s.

Padraig is pretty hopeless at the moment.

I thought there was a 7 on his card on hole 14 - down as a 6 now. Level for the day though because of that and a bogey. Not good enough.

Yeah, all three shots gone. Simply can't keep the big ugly numbers off his card, it's all well and good to say he ''still has the game'' when he fires in a few birdies, but that's rubbish, look at the leaderboard and you've got average players firing in 65s and 66s.

Padraig is pretty hopeless at the moment.

It's very easy to sit here at our computers and criticise others. When did you win your last major?

It's very easy to sit here at our computers and criticise others. When did you win your last major?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tied 119th in a second rate field with a lot of dross, you'd need a severely blinkered view to call his game recently as anything but hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yeah, any of those lads are very far from average.

I chose a different profession.....wasn't bad at it.

I absolutely agree

The reality is however - this is the nature of following sport - people are going to criticise if they don't like what they see.

The obviously reality is that Padraig hasn't being doing well in recent years.

But I love it when he does things like going 5 under in 2 rounds last week, go 12 holes in 3 under after a DISASTROUS +5 at a hole.

Because what they show is that while his performance isn't good enough - he possibly still has some POTENTIAL ability left - hes just not achieving that potential he has now.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I chose a different profession.....wasn't bad at it.

Padraig was pretty good at his for a long time too :)

Old diesel wrote: »
    Padraig was pretty good at his for a long time too :)

Absolutely. You expressed my thoughts in your last post better than I could. Being criticised for bad performances goes with the territory for top sports people.

Looks like being another bad week for Padraig. And fair enough, he's making too many mistakes. But I don't think that it's right for people to use words like hopeless or pathetic or embarrassment to describe one of our greatest sporting heroes.

I also think that I was pretty good at my job. But it doesn't mean I never made a mistake.

Looks like being another bad week for Padraig. And fair enough, he's making too many mistakes. But I don't think that it's right for people to use words like hopeless or pathetic or embarrassment to describe one of our greatest sporting heroes.

I also think that I was pretty good at my job. But it doesn't mean I never made a mistake.

Spot on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I checked in and he was 3 under for the round and within touching distance if the cut line,he then double bogied and bogied the next 2 holes!maybe I jinxed him again!he's still battling thought to his credit...

Its the mistakes that are killing him - because to be frank - anyone that can turn in 5 under par over 2 rounds last week - immediately follow up a NIGHTMARE hole with 12 holes at 3 under - HAS ABILITY.

Especially when the same person does 4 under in 5 holes just today.

But its the mistakes that then undo what good things are done.

The problem is Padraig LOSES shots due to mistakes - other people GAIN THEM by shooting/putting/playing better.

But I agree - the man still deserves massive respect for what he has achieved over his WHOLE career - not just the last few years.

In fairness though - he did do well in the Dunhill - but again errors spoiled it a little.

From memory - he was actually leading the Dunhill at one point

• Advertisement

Yep - it's the mistakes that kill him. We all make mistakes. Other pro golfers make mistakes. The trouble is that Padraig makes more mistakes than most pro golfers and it ruins potentially good rounds. Wish I could suggest something he could do about it.....but he is the sort of guy who will try anything he can think of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement