Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

yes a good performance by harrington. I am one of those 'begrudgers' and was very surprised to see him there and there abouts.

his swing (for what I saw) still looks very (self) constructed, but it would be interesting to see him going down the stretch under pressure sometime soon.

Maybe JP Mcmanus should caddy for him.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

big_drive wrote: »
    Where will this move him in the world rankings?

from 93 into 86....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

yes a good performance by harrington. I am one of those 'begrudgers' and was very surprised to see him there and there abouts.

his swing (for what I saw) still looks very (self) constructed, but it would be interesting to see him going down the stretch under pressure sometime soon.

Maybe JP Mcmanus should caddy for him.....:D

I'm also a begrudger. He did have a good week. Problem is he's going to start thinking about it now .. and once he starts thinking it just becomes a train wreck again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lets not pre-empt anything at this stage, good or bad. I hope he goes from strength to strength now, though it looks like a long road back into the top 50. If he sharpens up on the par 5's he might make great strides - he's been doing poorly pretty consistently on them for quite a while now. I think he had 4 bogeys and a double on them this week, and still finished top ten. He must be doing an awful lot right to place where he placed at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Good performance this week, a bad one and he might have dropped out of top 100 in WR, maybe the thought of that jolted him into action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Great to see Paddy back in good form. He seems to have stopped the rot so to speak.

Would love to see him get a big win soon but I'll settle lots of top 25 finishes and a fair sprinkling of top 10s, top 5s and top 3s. That's what he needs to starting moving back up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Lets not pre-empt anything at this stage, good or bad. I hope he goes from strength to strength now, though it looks like a long road back into the top 50. If he sharpens up on the par 5's he might make great strides - he's been doing poorly pretty consistently on them for quite a while now. I think he had 4 bogeys and a double on them this week, and still finished top ten. He must be doing an awful lot right to place where he placed at the weekend.

Fully agree. What is it with him and par 5s though? Got to the stage I'm watching him get within a shot or two of the lead and instead of saying to myself that he should finish well as there's two par 5's to go, I'm getting more nervous because there's two par 5's to go. If he can get them sorted he'll be well up there. I wonder where he would have come had he laid up all week?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

/me remembers following Gary Murphy on the European Tour website (hole-by-hole) and dreading seeing a par 5 coming up. Just when you thought that a birdie would either put him right up there or make things more comfortable you'd see a 6 and be fit to be tied :)
    Harrington at the Masters a few years ago was something the same... used them to go in reverse rather than pushing on like you'd hope.

Harrington at the Masters a few years ago was something the same... used them to go in reverse rather than pushing on like you'd hope.

Ye, the year Zach Johnson won the Masters. If Harrington had laid up and parred the par 5 15th each day he would have won by a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

PH had 2 holes to finish from the first round early today & had 2 bogeys! Is now out to +3 before starting round 2.

• Advertisement

PH had 2 holes to finish from the first round early today & had 2 bogeys! Is now out to +3 before starting round 2.

:eek:

He's birdied the first though, so back to +2 :)

Looked very tough watching it last night, greens very difficult to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Cut predicted at +3 so just 2 more dropped shots required to save us all some pain over the weekend :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Cut predicted at +3 so just 2 more dropped shots required to save us all some pain over the weekend :D:D

well he does have a par 5 coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    well he does have a par 5 coming up :D

Funnily enough it was the par 5s causing him trouble for sometime but all his bogies over these 2 days are all from par 4s - and there's another one one to take him to +3 after 12. Wont be long now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Looks like PH has made the cut, but 8 shots off the lead right now. We need a Paddy Cam though because he gets no coverage on Sky nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bogey 16, but birdie on 17 should see him make cut.

Little bit of progress:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

70 is a good score on a course which is clearly playing very difficult. He is very safe on +2. With half the field still to finish, the cut could very easily slip to +4.

His playing partners today, Rory Sabbatini & Tim Clark, shot 80 & 82 respectively which might put the overall scoring in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Martin567 wrote: »
    70 is a good score on a course which is clearly playing very difficult. He is very safe on +2. With half the field still to finish, the cut could very easily slip to +4.

His playing partners today, Rory Sabbatini & Tim Clark, shot 80 & 82 respectively which might put the overall scoring in perspective.

His aim (next goal as he can't qualify for the matchplay) is to get into the world top 50 and play Doral in 3 weeks time. Last week's top 10 finish only saw a jump of 7 places in the rankings so a win may be his only hope of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bogeys his first hole to go back to +3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

+4 now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

PH makes eagle on a par 5 who'd have thought it!!! Go on PH😃

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Another forgettable weekend beckons for Harrington, finishes on +5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

His aim (next goal as he can't qualify for the matchplay) is to get into the world top 50 and play Doral in 3 weeks time. Last week's top 10 finish only saw a jump of 7 places in the rankings so a win may be his only hope of that.

Won't be playing in Doral after that round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Won't be playing in Doral after that round.

I think he is going to play the Honda Classic which is the week before Doral, so there is still some hope.
    But with the way he seems to be playing at the moment i doubt he will make it unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

4 under for the 3 par 5's!! Excellent stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Appears to have missed 3 putts under 10 feet the last 3 holes, his general play is in decent nick and two eagles on par 5s is a rare and beautiful thing for Paddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

A terrible finish by PH yesterday. Finished +9 with a round of 79. He had a double bogey on the 15th & a triple bogey on the 16th! Down to 89 in the world rankings. Can still produce some good rounds but really struggles to put 4 rounds together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

was painful reading alright. Pity as i was hoping he would get a top 20 here. First hole got him off to a bad start nearly every round and maybe the head dropped after that.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

A terrible finish by PH yesterday. Finished +9 with a round of 79. He had a double bogey on the 15th & a triple bogey on the 16th! Down to 89 in the world rankings. Can still produce some good rounds but really struggles to put 4 rounds together.

Rory double bogeyed every hole of The Bear Trap (one of the toughest three-hole stretches of golf on the PGA Tour) on the same course last year in the final round afaik. He finished 75 for his round. It's a difficult stretch of holes let's not kid ourselves and Harrington would have been playing them when the wind was at it's strongest.

Toughest 3-hole stretch on TOUR (non-majors, any 3 holes)
    Holes Course Relative to par
    16,17,18 Quail Hollow Club +1.009
    15,16,17 PGA National +0.803
    14,15,16 PGA National +0.722
    8,9,10 Pebble Beach Golf Links +0.662
    6,7,8 Montreux G&CC +0.647

I do agree that putting 4 rounds together as you said is massive issue for him though and has been for some time but I reckon he could be cut some slack (in general) for yesterday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

im hoping the 79 was just a case of him throwing caution to the wind, literally, and just going for everything rather than 18 holes of the most pitiful dung he's ever carded.

i like to fill my head with fantasies rather than deal with the reality - im thinking PH is of a similar mindset these last few years.

one of the many stats that popped up on friday evening from the golf channel ( i think ) was a table of who has performed the best against par on the 3 hole Bear trap in recent times ( ie last 5 years or so ).... and lo & behold none other than PH was something like -6 thru the bear trap, top of the list!

PH topping any list renders it useless.

but horray for futile stats that mean absolutely bloody nothing but look all flashy & significant. theyre almost as tiresome as US golf coverage, which is almost as annoying as sky sports ad breaks, which are almost as tiresome as rob lee, who is almost as big a sh1te hawk as bruce critchley.

...and then theres monty & tony johnstone.

sorry back on topic.... paddy needs a boot in the hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement