Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yep - it's the mistakes that kill him. We all make mistakes. Other pro golfers make mistakes. The trouble is that Padraig makes more mistakes than most pro golfers and it ruins potentially good rounds. Wish I could suggest something he could do about it.....but he is the sort of guy who will try anything he can think of.

"and it ruines potentially good rounds"

Yup - but worse - potentially good EVENTS

Could you imagine what would happen if he COMBINED over 4 rounds the following (in different rounds BUT SAME EVENT)

-4 over 5 holes round 1

-5 over two rounds Round 2 and 3

-3 over 12 holes WITHOUT a nightmare hole before it Round 4

WITHOUT BAD NIGHTMARE holes and MISTAKES

So he doesn't do -3 over 12 holes - and then do a plus 5 at a whole to completely mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Old diesel wrote: »
    "and it ruines potentially good rounds"

Yup - but worse - potentially good EVENTS

Could you imagine what would happen if he COMBINED over 4 rounds the following (in different rounds BUT SAME EVENT)

-4 over 5 holes round 1

-5 over two rounds Round 2 and 3

-3 over 12 holes WITHOUT a nightmare hole before it Round 4

WITHOUT BAD NIGHTMARE holes and MISTAKES

So he doesn't do -3 over 12 holes - and then do a plus 5 at a whole to completely mess it up.

When a pro golfer makes a mess of a hole, it attracts attention....we all ask how it could happen and hope that it won't get into the player's head and impact further on the round, and usually we quickly forget about those mistakes. The trouble is that there is an almost inevitability about Padraig's mistakes.....we almost waiting for them to happen. But I must say, I admire the way he can often pick himself up and play some of the following holes really well.

Is it my imagination, or does he often mess up on par 5's? Is he just trying too hard to shoot a birdie?

When a pro golfer makes a mess of a hole, it attracts attention....we all ask how it could happen and hope that it won't get into the player's head and impact further on the round, and usually we quickly forget about those mistakes. The trouble is that there is an almost inevitability about Padraig's mistakes.....we almost waiting for them to happen. But I must say, I admire the way he can often pick himself up and play some of the following holes really well.

Is it my imagination, or does he often mess up on par 5's? Is he just trying too hard to shoot a birdie?

if he could stop the mistakes - hed definitely do better - its why im very reluctant to join the "he should take a break from Golf" school of though.

personally I feel that mistakes are VERY hard to stamp out of a game or sporting performance - NOT JUST GOLF.

And if making mistakes are part of the issue - im not sure an extended break would address it - as its likely to be still an issue with him after the break away.

Playing Golf of some kind - either at a lower pro level like challenge tour - or even playing away on normal golf courses for a while just as a normal golfer away from the public eye - is the only way to get mistakes stamped out imo - because its by playing he would have a better chance of developing a better ability to hit MORE good shots and LESS bad ones.

Another sad end to a tournament - finished on +4.

Where is he playing next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Agree mistakes could be the source of his problems and have found the same myself. 3 weeks ago I could have had a 65 gross which would also have got me the course record. The mistakes ruined it though and I ended up with a 98 and 24 points. Still, I know if I could just stop the mistakes I will be reliable shooting in the sixties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

if he could stop the mistakes - hed definitely do better.

This applies to everyone that misses the cut, in fact every golfer! It's not unique to him.
    It's also not mental and its also not Ronan, unfortunately for P.H his game is just in a terrible place.
    2 Fed ex cup points from 4 events, let's all hope the winter break does him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

if he could stop the mistakes - hed definitely do better - its why im very reluctant to join the "he should take a break from Golf" school of though.

personally I feel that mistakes are VERY hard to stamp out of a game or sporting performance - NOT JUST GOLF.

And if making mistakes are part of the issue - im not sure an extended break would address it - as its likely to be still an issue with him after the break away.

I think he should just focus on the European tour next year, along with committing himself to a "back to basics" program for himself. Just focus on playing and enjoying his tournaments for a while and see what sort of results follow from that. He usually appears to have too much going on in terms of trying new things, etc. He should try and just cut out all the noise. Go out and play and forget about results for a while.

Yes, just too many mistakes for Padraig. All golfers make mistakes, but most pro golfers don't make very many mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Best thing paddy has done all year is grow this epic moustache.

http://www.thescore.ie/padraig-harrington-moustache-1808216-Nov2014/

Best thing paddy has done all year is grow this epic moustache.

http://www.thescore.ie/padraig-harrington-moustache-1808216-Nov2014/

Thank goodness November is just about shot - that's woeful.

• Advertisement

So I see Harrington is playing in India this week. I wonder would he have done better to give himself a long break, but it seems that he finds it very hard to walk away from golf for any length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

So I see Harrington is playing in India this week. I wonder would he have done better to give himself a long break, but it seems that he finds it very hard to walk away from golf for any length of time.

Indonesia not India vienne, nice appearance fee i imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I doubt that

Me too. Sponsors invite.

Cheers Jerry - my mistake. Not sure what sort of an appearance fee he would get these days, but more luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cheers Jerry - my mistake. Not sure what sort of an appearance fee he would get these days, but more luck to him!

Little or nothing I suspect. There's worse places to be than Indonesia at this time of year but with a total prize fund of $750,000, this is a holiday more than a career re-launch.

Tees off at 11:20 P.M Irish time tonight if I've worked it out correctly.

Well spotted. Must get hold of the live scoring. Just a decent round, no disasters, is what I want for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

The rating for this tournament is still not appearing on the OWGR website. I think Asian Tour tournaments have a minimum points value of 14 for the winner. It would be nice to see Padraig picking up a few points and starting to move back up the rankings.

• Advertisement

No scores up on the leaderboard yet.....will have to wait till morning. Nite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

He went around in 64, seven under one off the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Dero123 wrote: »
    He went around in 64, seven under one off the lead

HE'S BACK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Great round by Padraig, with 8 birdies and only 1 bogey. Currently in 2nd place on his own, 1 behind the leader and 3 ahead of 3 players tied for 3rd.

They give lots of information on the individual scoresheet - see attached link http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/394/scorecard/102794/

Just started in on the Nedbank and then came to this thread - brilliant news. I wouldn't quite say he's back, but what a great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

abff wrote: »
    Great round by Padraig, with 8 birdies and only 1 bogey. Currently in 2nd place on his own, 1 behind the leader and 3 ahead of 3 players tied for 3rd.

They give lots of information on the individual scoresheet - see attached link http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/394/scorecard/102794/

Putting looks decent from those stats.....8 two putts and 10 single putts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭paulos53

I see that there is a second Irish man in the field, Niall Turner. Unfortunately he has at +2.
    He seems to play fulltime in Asia and has just earned a full Asian Tour card via a top 5 Order of Merit finish in the Asian equivalent of the challenge tour.

Just started in on the Nedbank and then came to this thread - brilliant news. I wouldn't quite say he's back, but what a great start!

I nearly dropped when the guy on the radio said "Padraig Harrington is one off the lead after day 1"

Im loving the fact he managed to achieve 7 under - I hope he can build on this - but its a nice start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

paulos53 wrote: »
    I see that there is a second Irish man in the field, Niall Turner. Unfortunately he has at +2.
    He seems to play fulltime in Asia and has just earned a full Asian Tour card via a top 5 Order of Merit finish in the Asian equivalent of the challenge tour.

4th highest in World Ranking at No. 433 after Lowry, McGrane & Harrington

• Advertisement

Off just before 4 a.m Irish time tomorrow morning in round 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement