Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Old diesel wrote: »

Would winning the event gain him an Asian tour card for example....

I'm sure he could play any event in Asia he ever wants if he so chooses.

He already has a lifetime exemption on the European Tour and he should have a place in the field for most US events outside of the Majors & WGCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm sure he could play any event in Asia he ever wants if he so chooses.

He already has a lifetime exemption on the European Tour and he should have a place in the field for most US events outside of the Majors & WGCs.

I agree that he would probably get an invitation to any regular Asian Tour event he chooses to enter.

But his Category 1 exemption on the European Tour runs out at the end of 2018. Having said this, he is so high up the career earnings list that he is more or less guaranteed to stay in the top 40 (and hence Category 11) until he is in his late fifties (or possibly longer) and this would make him eligible for most tournaments.

In the US, he is relying on sponsor's invites for the coming season and it remains to be seen how many he will get. If he continues to perform poorly, these may dry up as the season progresses. He has the option to choose a one season only exemption for being in the top 50 in the career earnings list, but he has stated that he is not planning to use this for the 2014/15 season.

Hopefully, this will all prove to be irrelevant if he starts winning again and moves back up the world rankings. Winning this week would be a good start and would hopefully give him some momentum (and a bit more self confidence) to carry into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well this is a good news story if ever there was one. I know it's in Asia, and we wouldn't recognise most of the names in the field, but it would surely do is confidence so much good to get a win again. Such a pit we can't see it on TV.

Your point about the field is a good one.

Which makes 16 under par particularly pleasing news - as it indicates that hes also playing decent golf - rather then simply leading due to how good or bad the field is.

Reading this makes me nervous though

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/padraig-harrington-on-the-verge-of-ending-fouryear-wait-for-victory-after-soaring-clear-in-indonesia-30803917.html

I hate when they say on the verge :eek: - I start wondering should I be getting excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Which makes 16 under par particularly pleasing news - as it indicates that hes also playing decent golf - rather then simply leading due to how good or bad the field is.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/padraig-harrington-on-the-verge-of-ending-fouryear-wait-for-victory-after-soaring-clear-in-indonesia-30803917.html

I hate when they say on the verge :eek: - I start wondering should I be getting excited :D

Any indication of tee times for R4?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm purposely not going to read that article! I just think a win would do him so much good, but wouldn't look beyond that right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Well this is a good news story if ever there was one. I know it's in Asia, and we wouldn't recognise most of the names in the field, but it would surely do is confidence so much good to get a win again. Such a pit we can't see it on TV.

This is exactly what I was thinking... yes, it's a very poor field so we shouldn't get carried away but regardless, it's great to see him at the top of a leaderboard again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - has anybody seen this.

Anyone know what he has changed - or what has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lads - has anybody seen this.

Anyone know what he has changed - or what has happened here.

Maybe it is just suiting to be playing away from the European and PGA tours - no pressure, no particular attention on him.

Maybe it is just suiting to be playing away from the European and PGA tours - no pressure, no particular attention on him.

He hasn't scored this low in a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Could be a great ambassador for the sport in the region, obviously thought highly of there. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Started off with a birdie to move 6 clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

And we're off...just a birdie to start. Leads by 6 now. Giddy stuff.

cairny wrote: »
    And we're off...just a birdie to start. Leads by 6 now. Giddy stuff.

is it on tv lads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

is it on tv lads ?

http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/394/leaderboard/

No. Just watching leaderboard. Like being back in aertel times.

cairny wrote: »
    http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/394/leaderboard/

No. Just watching leaderboard. Like being back in aertel times.

Like a real Paddy joke - all the years we have waited for him to win / play well an we can't even watch it :D

Dropped a shot at the par 3 15th, but so did his closest challenger, so he's still 6 shots clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He finished round 3 at -16 under, bogey and par to start round 4 now leads by 2.

Now down to 1 shot after 3 holes. He's 1 over for the round, Khrongpha is 2 under.

Another birdie for Khrongpha. He's now tied with Padraig at 15 under. It's 9 holes since Padraig had a birdie - 2 bogeys and 7 pars. Let's hope he can pull things together and start picking up shots again.

Padraig's just had a double bogey at the par 3 7th and is now 2 shots off the lead. This is starting to remind me of Greg Norman versus Nick Faldo in the Masters.

• Advertisement

Birdie on the 8th to get back within one shot. Let's hope this is a turning point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Round 4 suspended due to lightning threat. One off the lead after 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tied for the lead with 3 holes remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tied for the lead with 3 holes remaining.

Come on ph

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

tied at 16 under with 18 to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

YES, he done it. champion in asia. great win for him..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Winner all right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Yes great win podge. Delighted for him.

Great to see him back in the winner's circle! Maybe I'll go back to sleep for a while - that's the worst night's sleep I've had in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

Well done PH, hopefully a significant turning point and more wins ahead of him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement