Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

From where he was overnight, he should have won it at a canter. But in some ways, what he did today was more satisfying. He proved that he could dig deep when the chips were down and eventually it was his opponent who cracked.

Well done Padraig! Great way to end the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Fantastic,well done Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Phew when he went from 6 ahead to 2 behind in the space of 9 holes I feared the worst. Very steady after that thankfully!!! Should jump him back upto about 260 in OWGR from 385.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Aboy paddy. Needed that performance big time. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

He didn't exactly play cool and steady as the scorecard indicates. Missed a good birdie chance on 16, got extremely lucky with his second shot to 17 that hit a tree and came back safely. Then chipped to 10 feet and in fairness made a great putt. On 18 he drove it into the hazard. The other guy hit an ok drive and hit his second (before harro) into the water! Harro took his penalty drop and hit an unbelievable 3rd to ten feet again, then the other guy made a mess of his next leaving harro with two putts to win and only needed one! Great win and great to see him hole two 10 footers and cap off a great week where he putted superbly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

He didn't exactly play cool and steady as the scorecard indicates. Missed a good birdie chance on 16, got extremely lucky with his second shot to 17 that hit a tree and came back safely. Then chipped to 10 feet and in fairness made a great putt. On 18 he drove it into the hazard. The other guy hit an ok drive and hit his second (before harro) into the water! Harro took his penalty drop and hit an unbelievable 3rd to ten feet again, then the other guy made a mess of his next leaving harro with two putts to win and only needed one! Great win and great to see him hole two 10 footers and cap off a great week where he putted superbly!

How you manage to see all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Fair play to him, poor enough field but it still takes good golf to come out on top in any tour event.

Will this do anything for his world ranking? Or is the quality of the field not good enough for that?

Thanks for that Johnny

Fair play to him, poor enough field but it still takes good golf to come out on top in any tour event.

Will this do anything for his world ranking? Or is the quality of the field not good enough for that?

Should jump him up about 125 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In fairness, Harrington has always depended on the recovery aspect of the game - it was how he won his first PGA event against Veejay Singh in a play-off, It's good to see he can still call on it now and again.

Absolutely fookin' delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only just read back over these posts now - great to read how it went and brilliant news. A win! And had to scramble back after dropping some shots, so kept the head. This is one of the best things I have read on this forum for a long time. I am so so please for Harrington, and I hope it gives him the confidence to move up the rankings again.

Thanks for that Johnny

I tweeted the Asian tour for play by play updates! Haha

abff wrote: »
    How you manage to see all that?

Tweeted the Asian tour for play by play updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Form is temporary.

Class is permanent!

Never doubted ya for a second harro! Just knew you needed to be away from the PGA tour!

Exactly! It's incredibly tough to win any tour event. Great early Xmas present for him. (AND US) haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What a thread to read first thing, fupping ecstatic, so happy for P

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote: »
    What a thread to read first thing, fupping ecstatic, so happy for P

Its great to see him win but don't get too carried away lads. That was a Challenge Tour field at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

First Up wrote:
    Its great to see him win but don't get too carried away lads. That was a Challenge Tour field at best.

ah please don't start this.....These guys can all play. Because we don't know of them shouldn't lessen the victory. its a bit of a cliché to say but......you can only beat what in front of ya.

neckedit wrote: »
    ah please don't start this.....These guys can all play. Because we don't know of them shouldn't lessen the victory. its a bit of a cliché to say but......you can only beat what in front of ya.

True, but look at the rankings and he didn't exactly close it out in style. I'm happy for him but its a long way from Sun City or Isleworth.
    Just don't read too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Delighted to wake up to this news. Well done, Padraig. We're always rooting for you here. Let's hope it's just a start on the way back up.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »

We discussed that yesterday! It's just great that he got in some great rounds of golf and when he was caught in the final round, he pulled out some good play to win - that's what he used to do so well and it is great to see him do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

First Up wrote:
    True, but look at the rankings and he didn't exactly close it out in style. I'm happy for him but its a long way from Sun City or Isleworth. Just don't read too much into it.

im reading absolutely nothing into First Up.....exactly nothing. And that means not directing the field, not thinking its only An Asian event. Just really enjoyng the fact that he gets the Win pure and simple. I'm off to have a celebratory sausage sambo in his honour......breakfast of champions.
    l

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Winner is all that matters, you still can't write comments on a scorecard last time I checked, $135,000

i3c8p0.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Winner is all that matters, you still can't write comments on a scorecard last time I checked, $135,000

i3c8p0.jpg

Tks for the phots Slave.....loving this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

Absolutely chuffed for Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

neckedit wrote: »
    im reading absolutely nothing into First Up.....exactly nothing. And that means not directing the field, not thinking its only An Asian event. Just really enjoyng the fact that he gets the Win pure and simple. I'm off to have a celebratory sausage sambo in his honour......breakfast of champions.
    l

Personally it his score im loving - 16 under - suggests good golf that.

What it shows is that he still has some potential ability.

Its also great that he fought back after a poor start to his final round - that in a way is better for HIM* then simply winning at a canter

*not so good for those wanting him to win - but HE DID IT

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Just reading the last page or two since last night and it was a classic page turner from Paddy :D

He leads. He drops a shot. Then another. Loses the lead. I get worried, almost scared to read the next post. He fights back. 1 off the lead. Play suspended. He's level. He's only gone and ruddy won the thing. Adulation resumes.

Great start to the morning :)

vienne86 wrote: »
    We discussed that yesterday! It's just great that he got in some great rounds of golf and when he was caught in the final round, he pulled out some good play to win - that's what he used to do so well and it is great to see him do it again.

It was Khrongpha going in the water at 18 that won it for him. By his own admission, his play today was pretty ropey .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

First Up wrote: »
    It was Khrongpha going in the water at 18 that won it for him. By his own admission, his play today was pretty ropey .

Going book his talk for the 20th January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

It was on live on TV over here so got to see most of it. He played pretty well for most of the day, his approach play in particular was excellent and he seems a lot more confident over putts than he has of late, although not a lot dropped for him.

As Johnny said, he played 17 and 18 very nervously but he got a huge break when the other lad inexplicably hit his approach into the water on 18. I'm not sure whether Harrington was going to take a drop initially but obviously did so once that happened. In fairness his approach was a beauty and it was great for him to hole the putt then, even if he didn't need to.

Hopefully it's a huge confidence boost for him and can give him some momentum going into the new year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement