Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Good to see him put 4 decent rounds together - its been a long long time. Lifting a trophy has to give him some lift and optimism for next year also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Should only drop 10 places in the rankings after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

I wonder would playing a few more Asian Tour events in the early part of next year be a good short term strategy?

Looking at the world rankings, I see players like Anirban Lahiri, Justin Thomas & Andrew Johnston far ahead of Padraig. Obviously these players have played a lot of good golf in 2014 but most of it was done on secondary tours. Despite not playing on any of the main tours very much (or at all!), these three players are all above someone like Michael Hoey who was in the top 60 on the European Tour this year.

I just wonder if playing 3 or 4 more of this type of tournament early next year would benefit Padraig more than battling around the cut line in a few big US tournaments. Playing like he did this weekend would help his ranking and it would also boost his confidence which has been the biggest issue for a while.

It would be very much a short term strategy but I wonder is it something he would even consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Should only drop 10 places in the rankings after this.

How would you drop in the world rankings the day AFTER winning something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

First Up wrote: »
    It was Khrongpha going in the water at 18 that won it for him. By his own admission, his play today was pretty ropey .

You're pretty determined to **** on his parade aren't you?? Not that I'm surprised.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    I wonder would playing a few more Asian Tour events in the early part of next year be a good short term strategy?

Looking at the world rankings, I see players like Anirban Lahiri, Justin Thomas & Andrew Johnston far ahead of Padraig. Obviously these players have played a lot of good golf in 2014 but most of it was done on secondary tours. Despite not playing on any of the main tours very much (or at all!), these three players are all above someone like Michael Hoey who was in the top 60 on the European Tour this year.

I just wonder if playing 3 or 4 more of this type of tournament early next year would benefit Padraig more than battling around the cut line in a few big US tournaments. Playing like he did this weekend would help his ranking and it would also boost his confidence which has been the biggest issue for a while.

It would be very much a short term strategy but I wonder is it something he would even consider?

A bit of Asian combined with some European events (events that suit him) perhaps.

fullstop wrote: »
    You're pretty determined to **** on his parade aren't you?? Not that I'm surprised.

Tbh im just delighted for the man himself that he won.

Its a nice result given his difficult times in the last few years - and tbh - I think wed have all being happy before the event if he finished top 10

Well I would anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote: »

Aw shucks. Not doing anything to anyone's parade. Someone said he pulled out some good play to win - after losing 4 shot lead. Just pointed out that it was actually the other guy's mistake that won it for him.
    No need to be afraid of reality; I'm sure Padraig is under no illusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Well done Padraig. Delighted for him. He won it in his own indomitable style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

First Up wrote: »
    I'm sure Padraig is under no illusions.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

http://www.thescore.ie/harrington-100000-swings-49-days-1819855-Dec2014/

He is mental :). Give yourself a break for bloody sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Great win for Pádraig. Weak field but Lipski was in it who's number 1 in Asia and won a Euro tour eent there recently. This should give him a good boost and it has the extra bonus of annoying the Paddy haters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Going book his talk for the 20th January

Forgot I had booked that. Seems better value now!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

http://www.thescore.ie/harrington-100000-swings-49-days-1819855-Dec2014/

He is mental :). Give yourself a break for bloody sake.

He's a gas man alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm a big fan so happy out with this.

I know it is the 3rd division of golf - but he got birdies and got to a low score - forget field. You still have to play well to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Probably trolling the media at this stage with what he gets up to on his days off. :D Congrats to him!

Back

76373.jpg

I'm a big fan so happy out with this.

I know it is the 3rd division of golf - but he got birdies and got to a low score - forget field. You still have to play well to do that.

I think his score is the really impressive part - given his difficulties in recent years 16 under par is quite impressive.

Would be impressive in a lot of tournaments id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

I see he has seven weeks off. I guess that means his next outing will be the Dubai Desert Classic at end January. The Volvo Golf Champions is not happening next year. That's a pity - it was a limited field and a good chance for Padraig to pick up some Race To Dubai earnings and some world ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Retire now Padraig!!!!

It don't get any better than this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Actually, today's round reminds me of what some commentator said about Padraig getting a double bogey at the 18th when he won The Open in 2007. I can't remember the exact words, but it was something along the lines of the way he won being typical of Padraig because he never did things the easy way.

I think it's great that he's won. I hope he can move on from here and start to contend again in Europe and possibly in the States. But it's not going to be easy. And I'll never understand why some people can't just celebrate the fact that he won after such a long gap without feeling that they have to make some kind of negative comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I hope he gets his game back. I like aul Paddy. His face when he is on a roll and under a bit of pressure is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

abff wrote: »
    Actually, today's round reminds me of what some commentator said about Padraig getting a double bogey at the 18th when he won The Open in 2007. I can't remember the exact words, but it was something along the lines of the way he won being typical of Padraig because he never did things the easy way.

I think it's great that he's won. I hope he can move on from here and start to contend again in Europe and possibly in the States. But it's not going to be easy. And I'll never understand why some people can't just celebrate the fact that he won after such a long gap without feeling that they have to make some kind of negative comment.

It is a tribute to him that he persisted, and believed in himself.

We should be proud of Harringtlon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

ForeRight wrote: »
    Retire now Padraig!!!!

Doesnt sound like it. In an interview says he is going to hit 100,000 balls over his 7 weeks 'off' !

Doesnt sound like it. In an interview says he is going to hit 100,000 balls over his 7 weeks 'off' !

my wife got me a voucher for the range for Christmas too :D

Actually - that doesn't sound good for you or for a 43 year old pro.

I know I have been saying it for a while - I can see him have a good week the right week of The Open Championship over next say 5-7 years. So glad this came - as was beginning to doubt myself.

I'm only looking at the fact he got to a low score here.

Not putting a downer on it - but in reality, to use a Football analogy , this is sort of The Sky Bet League One level of golf.
    Europe is the Championship
    US is the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

I know I have been saying it for a while - I can see him have a good week the right week of The Open Championship over next say 5-7 years. So glad this came - as was beginning to doubt myself.

I'm only looking at the fact he got to a low score here.

Not putting a downer on it - but in reality, to use a Football analogy , this is sort of The Sky Bet League One level of golf.
    Europe is the Championship
    US is the premiership.

-16 under for the first 3 rounds though. Most likely with that score he would have been leading going into day 4 in the Championship and the Premiership too (unless the course in Indonesia was significantly easier for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Confirmed up to 260th from 385th in OWGR.

He won more ranking points this weekend than he did in total for his previous 30 events this year. Nice way to end a wretched year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Big jump in the rankings. Up to 260.

Hopefully he continues to head in that direction.

Good man Padraig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ForeRight wrote: »
    Retire now Padraig!!!!

That won't happen! He'll come home and practice zillions of hours before he starts his campaign on the European tour. I think that's just in his DNA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement