Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And there was his missus hoping that he would clean out the attic and shed.

Super win for him, may not have been a great field or a great finish but it's still a big boost.
    Hoping Peter Lawrie can take a bit of confidence from it and emulate him somewhat this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

...Player was 43 when he won his last Major, The Masters, in 1978.
    http://www.augusta.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/13254324.jpg
    Come on Harrington!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

newport2 wrote: »
    -16 under for the first 3 rounds though. Most likely with that score he would have been leading going into day 4 in the Championship and the Premiership too (unless the course in Indonesia was significantly easier for some reason).

Be under no illusion the course set up would be nothing like a Major championship set up or that of a top tour event probably. It was probably a resort type course they were playing, which the Pro's will always score well on if on form.

On the other hand the hole is still the same size and you have to be able to get the ball in the hole as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

First Up wrote: »
    Aw shucks. Not doing anything to anyone's parade. Someone said he pulled out some good play to win - after losing 4 shot lead. Just pointed out that it was actually the other guy's mistake that won it for him.
    No need to be afraid of reality; I'm sure Padraig is under no illusions.

You're not actually dealing very much with reality at all I'd say. An individual sport, a tournament with I dunno, 100 players or whatever, & you're only pointing out that the guy with the lowest score in the field only won because of another guy's mistake. Did the shots Harrington hit have anything to do with him winning, or is it fair to say the only reason the winner won is because someone else didn't win? Was Harrington actually playing at all since you don't seem to consider he had much to do with the win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

pelevin wrote: »
    You're not actually dealing very much with reality at all I'd say. An individual sport, a tournament with I dunno, 100 players or whatever, & you're only pointing out that the guy with the lowest score in the field only won because of another guy's mistake. Did the shots Harrington hit have anything to do with him winning, or is it fair to say the only reason the winner won is because someone else didn't win? Was Harrington actually playing at all since you don't seem to consider he had much to do with the win?

The reality is that Harrington did better on the scoreboard then the other guy AND the REST of the field.

That's the reality that counts really FOR TODAY.

7 weeks time hes in a different ball game - but we shall have to wait and see how this win translates into performances in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Up to 260th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ruu wrote: »
    Up to 260th. :)

Well we won't have to scroll down so far to find him now.....delighted he got the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Be under no illusion the course set up would be nothing like a Major championship set up or that of a top tour event probably. It was probably a resort type course they were playing, which the Pro's will always score well on if on form.

On the other hand the hole is still the same size and you have to be able to get the ball in the hole as well.

Big step - but on a golf forum we will have to be dealing with realities like above.
    You'd imagine this was on a course at the higher end of things - but even these days in Europe it is played on a course on a resort if they have the money - Victoria in Portugal is an example of that. OK course - but many better courses in Portugal.

I'd have much higher ambitions for Padraig - I know Padraig would have much higher ambitions . We are running blind here as we seen little or no play - a bit frustrating that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

I think he earned close to €150k for winning this & Shane Lowry won €140k for coming 11th last weekend. It's crazy how there careers have gone in totally different directions since Lowry won the Irish Open in 2009 when Harrungton would have been near his peak & Lowry only a newcomer.

Fair play to Padraig though, I'd love to see him get a good start to a few tournaments next year and jump back into the worlds top 100. He is more than capable of doing that & with a bit of luck who knows. It won't be for a lack of effort he would fail anyway. A great way to finish the year & should give him a lift for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

dcrosskid wrote: »
    I think he earned close to €150k for winning this & Shane Lowry won €140k for coming 11th last weekend. It's crazy how there careers have gone in totally different directions since Lowry won the Irish Open in 2009 when Harrungton would have been near his peak & Lowry only a newcomer.

Fair play to Padraig though, I'd love to see him get a good start to a few tournaments next year and jump back into the worlds top 100. He is more than capable of doing that & with a bit of luck who knows. It won't be for a lack of effort he would fail anyway. A great way to finish the year & should give him a lift for next year.

A little less than that I'm afraid. Harrington won $135,000 US Dollars and Lowry €95,494 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pelevin wrote: »

I was merely responding to the comment that he had pulled out some good play to win, whereas it was the other player's double bogey that was the difference.

Don't be so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lowry actually won $154,000 for his efforts, Padraig got a lot more ranking points though.

Not even worth comparing tbh, Padraig is 43 now and past his peak so whatever autumn he has to career is a bonus while we're all hopeful Shane is on a upward curve.

If he gives us a fraction of the joy Padraig has given us then he'll have a great career himself. Hard to believe its 13 years since Padraig shot that opening round of 61 in the Nedbank, no one would have dared predict the career he had after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was merely responding to the comment that he had pulled out some good play to win, whereas it was the other player's double bogey that was the difference.

Don't be so sensitive.

Would you still have the same opinion if Harrington had bogeyed earlier in the round and had the birdie on the last?

Score would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would you still have the same opinion if Harrington had bogeyed earlier in the round and had the birdie on the last?

Score would be the same.

+1

Terrific par from a difficult position by Harrington on the last to win it.

GreeBo wrote: »

Score would be the same.

If he had birdied 18 then it would be fair to say he had pulled out good play to win it. It would also be fair to say it if he had shot under par. But he didn't.

I'm as pleased for him as anyone and I hope it is a portent of some good things to follow. But a bit of realism isn't criticism.

+1

Terrific par from a difficult position by Harrington on the last to win it.

To win it by two. It was a good par alright but he had a cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Jesus wept. This is a man who hadn't won a tournament in four years and hasn't been near contendership (never mind the lead) on the last day for a while now. What did you expect him to do, fart birdies all day? A lot of posters have said it here that it was a typical Padraig performance. Giving us all a scare before getting it right when it mattered. By your logic his win at The Open was pure fluke because Garcia fcuked up!

Anyway, I know it's not the most difficult of fields or course but the confidence a win can bring him cannot be understated. His game is there, it's all about him being more confident in himself. Hopefully this helps and leads to a better 2015 for Paddy!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Jesus wept. This is a man who hadn't won a tournament in four years and hasn't been near contendership (never mind the lead) on the last day for a while now. What did you expect him to do, fart birdies all day? A lot of posters have said it here that it was a typical Padraig performance. Giving us all a scare before getting it right when it mattered. By your logic his win at The Open was pure fluke because Garcia fcuked up!

Anyway, I know it's not the most difficult of fields or course but the confidence a win can bring him cannot be understated. His game is there, it's all about him being more confident in himself. Hopefully this helps and leads to a better 2015 for Paddy!

For the umpteenth time, I was commenting on the post that said he had pulled out "good play" to win it. A level par round when half the field was shooting lower (some a lot lower) and needing his opponent to mess up on the 18th doesn't qualify as particularly "good play" in my book.

He played very well the first three rounds and I'm delighted (and relieved) that he held on yesterday. I also hope it leads on to bigger and better things but I don't think its about confidence at all - he has never doubted himself. His problem has been the tendency to throw in a few terrible holes and I'm still concerned about his eyesight/putting problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

Will be good for his charity event too, can imagine there will be a few less questions about where it all went wrong at it after winning this

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    Will be good for his charity event too, can imagine there will be a few less questions about where it all went wrong at it after winning this

I went to one of his talks/shows in Spawell a few years ago. You couldn't shut him up. I think the event ran over by at least an hour and in the end they more or less had to turn off the lights to get him to finish. Great value - he will take questions about anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

What was he behind by going to the 18th?

h2005 wrote: »
    What was he behind by going to the 18th?

Was level with the Thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He was tied for the lead. His opponent hit a double bogey while PH managed a par to win by 2. He had started the round with a 4 shot lead but was 2 behind after 9. Hit two birdies on the back 9 to finish level par for the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

To win it by two. It was a good par alright but he had a cushion.

A cushion built by his play over the previous 71 holes.

A cushion built by his play over the previous 71 holes.

Agreed, although he disposed of it half way through yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

For the umpteenth time, I was commenting on the post that said he had pulled out "good play" to win it. A level par round when half the field was shooting lower (some a lot lower) and needing his opponent to mess up on the 18th doesn't qualify as particularly "good play" in my book.

He played very well the first three rounds and I'm delighted (and relieved) that he held on yesterday. I also hope it leads on to bigger and better things but I don't think its about confidence at all - he has never doubted himself. His problem has been the tendency to throw in a few terrible holes and I'm still concerned about his eyesight/putting problems.

It may have been me who made the comment about good play and, if so, I stand by it. He had gone from being 6 shots ahead with 22 to play to 2 shots behind with 11 to play. At that point, I was having visions of Greg Norman versus Nick Faldo at the Masters and Padraig's head must have been all over the place. It was certainly on the cards that he might have a complete meltdown.

But he didn't. He steadied the ship and played the last 11 holes in 3 under par. Yes, he was fortunate that his rival found water on the 18th, but it doesn't take away from Padraig's good play over the last 11 holes (or indeed, his overall performance over the 72 holes) and it could be argued (indeed it seems likely) that Khrongpha would not have found water at the last if it hadn't been for the pressure that Padraig had put on him by coming back from a situation where many people would just throw in the towel.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that this means that Padraig is going to sweep all before him when he next plays in Europe or the States. But it is a huge step forward compared to the previous several months.

You say you are just being realistic, thereby implying that nobody else is. But that's not the case. Most of us are seeing a glass half full. You come across as only seeing the empty half of the glass.

abff wrote: »
    It may have been me who made the comment about good play and, if so, I stand by it. He had gone from being 6 shots ahead with 22 to play to 2 shots behind with 11 to play. At that point, I was having visions of Greg Norman versus Nick Faldo at the Masters and Padraig's head must have been all over the place. It was certainly on the cards that he might have a complete meltdown.

But he didn't. He steadied the ship and played the last 11 holes in 3 under par. Yes, he was fortunate that his rival found water on the 18th, but it doesn't take away from Padraig's good play over the last 11 holes (or indeed, his overall performance over the 72 holes) and it could be argued (indeed it seems likely) that Khrongpha would not have found water at the last if it hadn't been for the pressure that Padraig had put on him by coming back from a situation where many people would just throw in the towel.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that this means that Padraig is going to sweep all before him when he next plays in Europe or the States. But it is a huge step forward compared to the previous several months.

You say you are just being realistic, thereby implying that nobody else is. But that's not the case. Most of us are seeing a glass half full. You come across as only seeing the empty half of the glass.

I think I see both halves of the glass. There are some unrealistic expectations arising from this win but I will be happy to be proved wrong.

Way back in this thread I said that I wouldn't write him off just yet and was heaped with ridicule for it. Now I'm being accused of being a naysayer.

Funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's going on here??? I haven't seen any poster getting carried away. Well maybe apart from old diesel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If he had birdied 18 then it would be fair to say he had pulled out good play to win it. It would also be fair to say it if he had shot under par. But he didn't.

I'm as pleased for him as anyone and I hope it is a portent of some good things to follow. But a bit of realism isn't criticism.

So if he had the exact same score but on different holes he played well to win, but having them in the order he actually did, again for the same score, means the Thai handed it to him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement