Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote: »
    So if he had the exact same score but on different holes he played well to win, but having them in the order he actually did, again for the same score, means the Thai handed it to him?

If he had birdied 18 or had shot below par, how would he have had the same score?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    If he had birdied 18 or had shot below par, how would he have had the same score?

You seem to rate his play based on when he had his individual scores rather than his total after 4 days, which is what decides who wins, a good measure of performance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I was merely responding to the comment that he had pulled out some good play to win, whereas it was the other player's double bogey that was the difference.

Don't be so sensitive.

I'm not being sensitive at all. I'm dealing with reality. You tried to reduce Harrington winning to another playing making a mistake - end of story. Again even here you've dismissed "some good play" by Harrington as having anything to do with winning against a field of 100 or so players, even though he was tied first playing the last.
    I'm not in the slightest pretending this win might have some huge connotations or anything but your posts here are ridiculous.

You seem to rate his play based on when he had his individual scores rather than his total after 4 days, which is what decides who wins, a good measure of performance in my opinion.

And for the double umpteenth time, I was merely disputing that a level par round that lost a four shot lead and needed a mistake by another player to win, constituted particularly "good play", which was what was claimed.

pelevin wrote: »
    I'm not being sensitive at all. I'm dealing with reality. You tried to reduce Harrington winning to another playing making a mistake - end of story. Again even here you've dismissed "some good play" by Harrington as having anything to do with winning against a field of 100 or so players, even though he was tied first playing the last.
    I'm not in the slightest pretending this win might have some huge connotations or anything but your posts here are ridiculous.

You have not been reading my posts very carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ah come on most of the stooges in this tourney wouldn't even make the Boards classic :pac:

And for the double umpteenth time, I was merely disputing that a level par round that lost a four shot lead and needed a mistake by another player to win, constituted particularly "good play", which was what was claimed.

How did he "lose" a four shot lead with a level par round exactly?
    Is under par the new par now?

Is there a chance that maybe another player played themselves into the lead by good play, or do you only see things from Harrington's point of view?

He was two shots behind the leader with only a few holes to play and came from behind to win...thats not good play now?

Does he need to rescue a cat from a tree or something?

The mind truly boggles.

If my point is too complex for you, then I guess your mind will just have to stay boggled.

If my point is too complex for you, then I guess your mind will just have to stay boggled.

True, or you could try, yunno, explaining it, since it seems like no one understands where you are coming from.
    Best guess at this point is that you are simply a harro hater.

True, or you could try, yunno, explaining it, since it seems like no one understands where you are coming from.
    Best guess at this point is that you are simply a harro hater.

A pretty bad guess in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Up to this point, you were at least arguing your case. I may not have agreed with everything you were saying, but you were consistent in your message. When you stoop to slagging someone who disagrees with you, you lose all credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

abff wrote: »
    Up to this point, you were at least arguing your case. I may not have agreed with everything you were saying, but you were consistent in your message. When you stoop to slagging someone who disagrees with you, you lose all credibility.

Ah be fair, look at what the poster he was replying to has said to him, went on to imply he's a Harro hater...very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You can only beat what's put out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What's going on here??? I haven't seen any poster getting carried away. Well maybe apart from old diesel :)

Apologies :D:D:D:D

He's on newstalk now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Gave a great 20 minute interview there on Off The Ball and as usual a great insight .

cairny wrote: »
    Ah be fair, look at what the poster he was replying to has said to him, went on to imply he's a Harro hater...very unfair.

That's true, but it was in response to First Up making his "too complex" jibe. Anyway, I think the discussion has gone off on a bit of a tangent and from my own perspective I'm just going to agree to differ on the subject and not get involved in any more debate on who said what.

jonski wrote: »
    Gave a great 20 minute interview there on Off The Ball and as usual a great insight .

Sorry I missed that. Is it available as a podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sorry I missed that. Is it available as a podcast?

He's got an interview on the Second Captains podcast today too. Haven't listened to it yet though, think it's about 30 minutes into it

Oh dear.
    I suppose I could point out that the mind boggling bit wasn't started by me, but then if people bothered to read whole conversations and not get outraged about posts taken out of context, we wouldn't have such fun discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Alright lads, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

The most telling thing about the interview on newstalk was when he said he has not hit a shot that is entirely happy with for about 2-3 years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Dero123 wrote: »
    The most telling thing about the interview on newstalk was when he said he has not hit a shot that is entirely happy with for about 2-3 years.....

Didn't hear the interview, but if he said that, it would seem to back up the case that he got lost in trying to hit perfect shots rather than trying to play golf. But we're all probably guilty of that at times !

Hopefully he's back on track in terms of recovering his position in the game and his head isn't turned by the tpi guys again or anymore outlandish theories.

When you look at some of the names around him in the rankings, he's waaay better than that level (and I wouldn't necessarily be his biggest fan), albeit his results haven't shown it for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The Off the Ball interview is on the Newstalk website. Listening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Dero123 wrote: »

I heard that and think it's a bit crazy to be honest but sure who am I to judge. Elsewhere, it's great seeing the likes of Gary Player (I know Gary congratulates everyone :D) offering their congratulations to Paddy and even seeing his win being discussed on most US golf media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Really enjoyed that interview with Harrington. And having heard that I listened to the one with Steve Peters from a few weeks ago......fascinating stuff.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that interview with Harrington. And having heard that I listened to the one with Steve Peters from a few weeks ago......fascinating stuff.

I've read that Steve Peters book. Brilliant stuff, you'll never look at a spat on here in the same way again :)

But off topic but here's a TedTalk he did

http://youtu.be/R-KI1D5NPJs

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

As I said before, anyone who actually saw the round couldn't possibly say that Harrington, for the most part, hadn't played pretty well. While his driving wasn't perfect it was solid enough that he was playing at worst the second cut and his approach play was excellent, if slightly conservative (which is understandable considering the situation). He hit plenty of good putts (the birdies didn't drop, it happens) and scrambled well when he had to.

And then, after losing the lead, he didn't fall away, continued to hit a lot good shots and recovered superbly for par at 17 and 18 after having probably his worst two swings of the week. Off the top of my head, it is rare to see a player who enters the final round with a 4 shot lead shoot the lights out given the inherent pressure of the situation plus the conservatism the naturally kicks in. Especially a player who hasn't won in years and has built up a lot of mental baggage in the meantime.

As it happens, Thanyakon played some great stuff as well and it was a great battle to watch on the back 9. In alternate circumstances, Thanyakon pars the last while Harrington bogeys - do we say his round wasn't quality because Harrington threw it away? I wouldn't have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Genuinely thrilled at Pod winning but really people need to look at the bigger picture, it WAS a shockingly poor field, unfortunately it will take time will prove that. Didn't he win something similar in the far east a few years ago, all it proves is a fading "has been" of yesterday is capable of putting a bunch of "never will be's" in their place. And yeah yeah I know about the guy who won on the tour earlier, Lipsky I think, he's hardly set the world on fire before or since. Would love to be proved wrong but very much doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Genuinely thrilled at Pod winning
    Would love to be proved wrong but very much doubt it.

You don't sound like someone who is genuinely thrilled for him or that you would like to be proved wrong.....

Yeah of course it wasn't the strongest field but you still have to put the ball in the hole and considering all the delays and early starts it was in my mind a very good win and it was a brilliant fight back from Harrington after the nightmare start to the final round.... it was a great achievement to fight back after going from a 4 shot lead to a 2 shot deficit.
    Three sub 70 rounds and a battling last round....

F the begrudgers Paddy and drive on..... straighter if you can!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement