Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-bank-bri-indonesia-open-review/10152966518508573

Looks like FirstUp has hacked into PH's Facebook account...pretty extreme way to try to win an argument :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Yeah that's why I much prefer The 2 Opens to the U.S Masters.

Hardly a closed shop in fairness. Anyone worth their salt (and worth watching) will qualify to play at The Masters on their own merit.

>Former winners of The Masters
    >Winners of the last five U.S. Opens
    >Winners of the last five British Opens
    >Winners of the last five PGA Championships
    >Winners of the last three Players Championships
    >Winner and runner-up from the last U.S. Amateur Championship
    >Winner of the last British Amateur Championship
    >Winner of the last Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship
    >Winner of the last U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship
    >Winner of the last U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship
    >The top 12 finishers (including ties) from last year's Masters tournament
    >The top 4 finishers (including ties), from last year's U.S. Open
    >The top 4 finishers (including ties) from last year's British Open
    >The top 4 finishers (including ties) from last year's PGA Championship
    >Winners of PGA Tour events that award full FedEx Cup points, from the period of the previous Masters to the current Masters
    >All golfers who qualified for the previous year's Tour Championship
    >The Top 50 golfers in the final Official World Golf Ranking of the previous calendar year
    >The Top 50 golfers in the Official World Golf Ranking from the week prior to the current Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ernie was worth his salt the year he last won the Open. I know everyone loves the Masters and I'm pretty much alone in preferring the other majors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ernie was worth his salt the year he last won the Open. I know everyone loves the Masters and I'm pretty much alone in preferring the other majors :)

I'm with you. Think the Masters is ridiculously over-hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

No 4 for me, I know he recanted later but love Trevino for boycotting it for so long.

US Open my favourite Major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    Thaworn Wiratchant 2005

Thaworn also claimed his first European Tour sanctioned title by winning the Enjoy Jakarta Standard Chartered Indonesia Open in March, 2005, shooting a 25-under-par 255 total, the lowest aggregate in Europe and the Asian Tour. Unfortunately, as the preferred lie ruling was in operation, the score was not considered an official mark.
    Enjoy Jakarta Standard Chartered Indonesia Open (Mar 24 - 27, 2005)

Course: Cengkareng Golf Club

So other than it being a different course playing under preferred lies at a completely different time of year, your point is perfectly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone know what the ruling was when Harrington took his drop on 18. Red staked lateral hazard usually means 2 club lengths but he appears to gotten 30 yds or so. I know there was rain earlier in the day but from the pictures there was no sign of casual water and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a designated drop zone for the specific hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Anyone know what the ruling was when Harrington took his drop on 18. Red staked lateral hazard usually means 2 club lengths but he appears to gotten 30 yds or so. I know there was rain earlier in the day but from the pictures there was no sign of casual water and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a designated drop zone for the specific hazard.

You have two additional relief options from a lateral hazard but you can also avail of the other 3 options for a yellow staked hazard.

So he was entitled to keep the last point of entry and the flag in line and go back as far as he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Not sure if this 100,000 swings in 7 weeks thing is a good idea - could it introduce new difficulties????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ya know, I was hoping against hope that we might be able to all (cynics included) just take a day or 2 out from the negativity & just all say, well done Padraig, hopefully this is a step on the road back to something resembling his former glories, but no, we can't even let 24 hours pass without belittling his first win in 4 years.

I say congratulations to Padraig, let's build on this & kick on for hopefully a successful 2015

• Advertisement

Ya know, I was hoping against hope that we might be able to all (cynics included) just take a day or 2 out from the negativity & just all say, well done Padraig, hopefully this is a step on the road back to something resembling his former glories, but no, we can't even let 24 hours pass without belittling his first win in 4 years.

I say congratulations to Padraig, let's build on this & kick on for hopefully a successful 2015

This is a golf discussion forum, not a fan club. I'd be all in favour of someone setting up a thread devoted to praise and advertised as such. That would then leave places like this for actual discussion and analysis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Coverage on sky sports 4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This is a golf discussion forum, not a fan club. I'd be all in favour of someone setting up a thread devoted to praise and advertised as such. That would then leave places like this for actual discussion and analysis.

Balanced analysis would be nice alright.

There is nothing negative to take from a win, sure, some wins carry more positives that others, but the man beat everyone else, thats all he was asked to do.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Balanced analysis would be nice alright.

There is nothing negative to take from a win, sure, some wins carry more positives that others, but the man beat everyone else, thats all he was asked to do.

Are you suggesting it hasn't been?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I was just reading yesterday that (majors aside) the guy has won 29 times (iirc) on tour. Apart from anything else, for an Irish sportsman, that is phenomenal. He doesn't get half the recognition he deserves IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm with you. Think the Masters is ridiculously over-hyped.

I like the Masters....simply because it kicks off the golfing year proper. An other major advantage is that it's on when the kids are in bed ;)

Having said that though, give me 12 hours wall-to-wall coverage of The Open on the Beeb any day!

Yeah, the celebration of Spring is a factor at the Masters (even if a bit contrived with the way the course is dressed up) but the ballyhoo about the par 3 circus, the reverential music, the contrived language ("patrons" and all that)...

A marketing triumph and a lot of people fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well whatever we might think about the quality or lack of in the tournament he just won, it has certainly livened up the activity on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yeah, the celebration of Spring is a factor at the Masters (even if a bit contrived with the way the course is dressed up) but the ballyhoo about the par 3 circus, the reverential music, the contrived language ("patrons" and all that)...

A marketing triumph and a lot of people fall for it.

What do you mean by that?

For me its great as its a major so therefore one of the top 4 tournaments in the year.

ronjo wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

For me its great as its a major so therefore one of the top 4 tournaments in the year.

An awful lot of people nominate the Masters as their favourite major and Augusta a the course they most want to play - all based on the image they see on TV. I have been to the Masters and played Augusta (twice) and while the Masters is a unique event, Augusta as a course was a huge disappointment.
    I would far prefer to attend the Open and there are loads of better courses than Augusta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well whatever we might think about the quality or lack of in the tournament he just won, it has certainly livened up the activity on this thread!

That is why I'm always so grateful for Shane and Padraig - some people in Irish golf forget what it was like without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

vienne86 wrote: »

Really delighted for Podge! Hope he can build from here. The summer coming might be too soon but he still has plenty years to win another Open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

I have been to the Masters and played Augusta (twice) and while the Masters is a unique event, Augusta as a course was a huge disappointment.

How did you manage to get to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Was thinking the same myself! always thought it was just for members and the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

***Plot twist***

First Up is Padraig Harrington

benny79 wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself! always thought it was just for members and the masters.

You have to be invited to play it by a member as far as I know.

dcrosskid wrote: »
    ***Plot twist***

First Up is Padraig Harrington

Can't be. Harrington has said Augusta is his favourite course in the world.

First Up doesn't think much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

cairny wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-bank-bri-indonesia-open-review/10152966518508573

Looks like FirstUp has hacked into PH's Facebook account...pretty extreme way to try to win an argument :-P

Great article by Padraig and brutally honest as always. He acknowledges the luck he had during round 4, but doesn't go on too much about the negative impact on him of the finish of rounds 2 and 3 being postponed overnight.

A true gent, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Delighted to see Padraig's return to the winners enclosure. Hopefully it will be the start of a rise to the top again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I just watched the hilights there, have to say he played really well and the winning margin could have been a lot more if a few putt dropped. He shaved the hole a good few times.
    As for some saying it was an easier course than a regular tour event - didn't look too easy to me!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement