Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I just watched the hilights there, have to say he played really well and the winning margin could have been a lot more if a few putt dropped. He shaved the hole a good few times.
    As for some saying it was an easier course than a regular tour event - didn't look too easy to me!!

Yep, I watched it last night - thought he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

newport2 wrote: »
    You have to be invited to play it by a member as far as I know.

Correct

Can't be. Harrington has said Augusta is his favourite course in the world.

First Up doesn't think much of it.

Granted it looks lovely for the Masters but both times I played it, there was a lot of work going on (which I'm told is common) and without the flower beds and other cosmetic features you see on TV. It is also extremely hilly.
    The Masters is nice to attend because the galleries are smaller than for other majors and PGA events and catering etc prices are remarkably modest. However it is a serious hike and its hard to move between vantage points.
    But I think my main negative is that the place takes itself so seriously. A bit precious and old style Southern "master race".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Like most people, after week after week of hoping for the best, I am delighted that Paddy won at the weekend all be it in a relatively weak field. Also, like pretty much most people here, I am realistic in what this win represents. Its not an instant return to former glories, its a win that can be used as a springboard to better things in the new year with the confidence that a win of any kind brings. As referred to previously, this forum is for debate rather than a pure paddy love in. However, I agree with one post that says that a win is always positive, its just this one is less positive than it would be in Europe or America. It was a weak field granted but I assume most golfers turn pro on +1/2/3 handicap so they're not complete chumps either and apart from a few hic-ups on the last day, he was a different class by the sounds of it. As you would expect. The last time I checked, golf was an individual sport so no matter how weak the field was, he still had to get the ball in the hole the same as on any other tournament and -16 after 3 rounds is pretty good by any standard.

Whilst I acknowledge the right to debate the merits of this win, there comes a point where there is debate and critique "just for the sake of it". It seems he can't do right for doing wrong is some people's eyes. I genuinely don't buy the whole "he was handed it by the double bogey" argument to suggest that he didn't play well and deserve to win (reading between the lines as opposed to a direct quote). By his own admission, he got lucky. But you give me one golfer out there who didn't have a certain amount of luck to win a tournament at some stage, and I'll call you a liar to your face! The reality is there are negative and positive people out there. If you're negative you can apply the "he's was handed it by a mistake by the other person" argument to any close tournament. Say for example, in the extreme, if a golfer wins by birdying the last hole, if you're negative, you could argue that he was handed it by the other guy because he failed to eagle the last. In the case of Paddy's win, i'd prefer to be positive and argue that Paddy's battling qualities once he got over his bad start applied the pressure that was needed to force the mistake in the 1st place.

So in summary, a win is a win and to hell with the begrudgers....haters gonna hate but in some cases will mask it by some kind of perceived superior golfing intellect or an incontrollable will to debate! Or in other words they just want to wind people up!

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Like most people, after week after week of hoping for the best, I am delighted that Paddy won at the weekend all be it in a relatively weak field. Also, like pretty much most people here, I am realistic in what this win represents. Its not an instant return to former glories, its a win that can be used as a springboard to better things in the new year with the confidence that a win of any kind brings. As referred to previously, this forum is for debate rather than a pure paddy love in. However, I agree with one post that says that a win is always positive, its just this one is less positive than it would be in Europe or America. It was a weak field granted but I assume most golfers turn pro on +1/2/3 handicap so they're not complete chumps either and apart from a few hic-ups on the last day, he was a different class by the sounds of it. As you would expect. The last time I checked, golf was an individual sport so no matter how weak the field was, he still had to get the ball in the hole the same as on any other tournament and -16 after 3 rounds is pretty good by any standard.

Whilst I acknowledge the right to debate the merits of this win, there comes a point where there is debate and critique "just for the sake of it". It seems he can't do right for doing wrong is some people's eyes. I genuinely don't buy the whole "he was handed it by the double bogey" argument to suggest that he didn't play well and deserve to win (reading between the lines as opposed to a direct quote). By his own admission, he got lucky. But you give me one golfer out there who didn't have a certain amount of luck to win a tournament at some stage, and I'll call you a liar to your face! The reality is there are negative and positive people out there. If you're negative you can apply the "he's was handed it by a mistake by the other person" argument to any close tournament. Say for example, in the extreme, if a golfer wins by birdying the last hole, if you're negative, you could argue that he was handed it by the other guy because he failed to eagle the last. In the case of Paddy's win, i'd prefer to be positive and argue that Paddy's battling qualities once he got over his bad start applied the pressure that was needed to force the mistake in the 1st place.

So in summary, a win is a win and to hell with the begrudgers....haters gonna hate but in some cases will mask it by some kind of perceived superior golfing intellect or an incontrollable will to debate! Or in other words they just want to wind people up!

I really shouldn't give a toss but I do find it mildly offensive and irritating that any comment that is less than gushing is interpreted as begrudgery or makes the commentator a " paddy hater". I am nothing of the sort; I admire him hugely and have celebrated his success as much as anyone. I have been in his company on several occasions and I suspect I know more about him than most in here.
    And from what I know of him, he would be the first to accept anything I or anyone else has said is fair comment. In fact his own analysis of last Sunday was considerably harsher than mine and I an sure that if I meet him tomorrow and we discussed it, we would have nothing to argue about. He is a thoughtful and intelligent man who appreciates constructive comment a lot more than he does backslappers.
    So excuse me if I treat your admonitions less than seriously.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I really shouldn't give a toss but I do find it mildly offensive and irritating that any comment that is less than gushing is interpreted as begrudgery or makes the commentator a " paddy hater". I am nothing of the sort; I admire him hugely and have celebrated his success as much as anyone. I have been in his company on several occasions and I suspect I know more about him than most in here.
    And from what I know of him, he would be the first to accept anything I or anyone else has said is fair comment. In fact his own analysis of last Sunday was considerably harsher than mine and I an sure that if I meet him tomorrow and we discussed it, we would have nothing to argue about. He is a thoughtful and intelligent man who appreciates constructive comment a lot more than he does backslappers.
    So excuse me if I treat your admonitions less than seriously.

Consider yourself excused First Up and excuse me if I couldn't care less what you think of my contribution to the debate. I've given my opinion on recent events and of the numerous postings as is the nature of a debate. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. You've clearly met the man (lucky you, must have been an honour), and you're probably right about his preference for constructive criticism. but last I checked, this was a forum amongst fellow boardsies. The guy won a regular tour tournament and deserves full credit relative to where he's come from. The guy (and most of us here) deserves a break from negativity for one week....lord knows there'll be plenty of opportunities for it in the coming months again, but lets have our day in the sun and share in the feel good affect of a win of any description.

Besides, I'm not sure why you think my post is an attack on you specifically. If it was, I'd have quoted you specifically. and for the record I don't particularly want to go toe to toe with you again on here. I've acknowledged your right to your opinion so lets keep the debate going in general rather than personal terms.....that's settled then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

First Up wrote:
    I really shouldn't give a toss but I do find it mildly offensive and irritating that any comment that is less than gushing is interpreted as begrudgery or makes the commentator a " paddy hater". I am nothing of the sort; I admire him hugely and have celebrated his success as much as anyone. I have been in his company on several occasions and I suspect I know more about him than most in here. And from what I know of him, he would be the first to accept anything I or anyone else has said is fair comment. In fact his own analysis of last Sunday was considerably harsher than mine and I an sure that if I meet him tomorrow and we discussed it, we would have nothing to argue about. He is a thoughtful and intelligent man who appreciates constructive comment a lot more than he does backslappers. So excuse me if I treat your admonitions less than seriously.

And I for one find it mildly offensive that we cant just enjoy the guys victory and not focus on.....the field....the course....the world ranking points....all the other trash that has been tossed around here....not one single person here believes he is back to his Major winning form. But we are just enjoying the fact he won again plan and simple not over analysing it. I understand you like a bit of debate and discussion and I respect that. I too have been in his company on a few occasions but I wouldn't assume I know more about than any one else on the Forum.

neckedit wrote: »
    And I for one find it mildly offensive that we cant just enjoy the guys victory and not focus on.....the field....the course....the world ranking points....all the other trash that has been tossed around here....not one single person here believes he is back to his Major winning form. But we are just enjoying the fact he won again plan and simple not over analysing it. I understand you like a bit of debate and discussion and I respect that. I too have been in his company on a few occasions but I wouldn't assume I know more about than any one else on the Forum.

I thought debate and discussion was what this forum was for? Thanks a lot for "respecting" that.

There is absolutely nothing negative about parsing his performance. He will be doing more of it than anyone. Is he being negative too?

Enjoy his victory as we all are but if you would be more comfortable in a fan club - join one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

First Up wrote:
    Enjoy his victory as we all are but if you would be more comfortable in a fan club - join one.

A brilliantly patronising remark, Thanks. Your debating/discussing skills are exemplary.

neckedit wrote: »
    A brilliantly patronising remark, Thanks. Your debating/discussing skills are exemplary.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I thought debate and discussion was what this forum was for? Thanks a lot for "respecting" that.

There is absolutely nothing negative about parsing his performance. He will be doing more of it than anyone. Is he being negative too?

You didnt "just parse his performance"
    You actually went so far as to invent a stat to show us all how poor the field was and how poor his score was. Your posts are littered with negative overtones.
    I was merely responding to the comment that he had pulled out some good play to win, whereas it was the other player's double bogey that was the difference.

Don't be so sensitive.

Agreed, although he disposed of it half way through yesterday.
    Have a look at typical winning scores in Asian Tour events. -16 is about mid range.
    Absolutely but the fact that 25 under won it on the same course a few years ago has to tell you something as well.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You didnt "just parse his performance"
    You actually went so far as to invent a stat to show us all how poor the field was and how poor his score was. Your posts are littered with negative overtones.

One person's negative overtones is another's realistic assessment.
    Have a read of the attachment in 5612.

By all means take comments out of context. For example my comment about typical winning scores was in response to a claim that -16 would have beaten any field.

And I didn't "invent" a statistic; I mistakenly ascribed the 25 under to the same course, instead of the same tournament. You yourself noted other winning scores of -20 and better.

Stop being so sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Any chance you two would give us a break from this nonsense?

cairny wrote: »

One person's nonsense is another........

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I'm quiet enjoying this....two bald men and a comb comes to mind!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

First up really hasn't taken Harry's victory too well. :D Imagine if he won a major!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

Don Kedick wrote: »
    First up really hasn't taken Harry's victory too well. :D Imagine if he won a major!!!!!

Yes, but there would probably be a weak field with only 49 of the world's top 50 taking part and some of his opponents would have bogeyed some of the holes, so it wouldn't really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

I don't understand what the argument is here? Everyone knows the field was quite weak and his opponent doubled the last? He played superbly all week and nearly threw it away on the last. What's your point? He hadn't won for 4 years, was completely in the doldrums, nobody expected him to canter home. This is a step in the right direction. He was ranked 380+ in the world before this event. He won it against similarly ranked guys in the rankings. It was an event he was always in contention of right from the first hole. Its a confidence boost. It's party time for his fans. A win is a win and let's hope he pushes on. I would've taken a top 10 but we got a win. There shouldn't be any negatives to moan about!

I see Krongpha (runner up to Harrington last week) is leading after round one in Asia. Kaymer Garcia Westwood Watson Weisberger Fleetwood lahiri lipsky Oda Clarke Hadley all in the field. Is it accurate to say these will all finish miles ahead of the regular Asian Tour players and all the guys who played last week?

My point (5478) was not to get too carried away. Nothing more.

• Advertisement

I don't understand what the argument is here? Everyone knows the field was quite weak and his opponent doubled the last? He played superbly all week and nearly threw it away on the last. What's your point? He hadn't won for 4 years, was completely in the doldrums, nobody expected him to canter home. This is a step in the right direction. He was ranked 380+ in the world before this event. He won it against similarly ranked guys in the rankings. It was an event he was always in contention of right from the first hole. Its a confidence boost. It's party time for his fans. A win is a win and let's hope he pushes on. I would've taken a top 10 but we got a win. There shouldn't be any negatives to moan about!

But JohnnyLoche, don't you realise that boards.ie or possibly the internet itself will explode if we do not dissect the performance and identify every last failing of the man in spite of victory in the spirit of debate and instead of universally lauding the man!!......because he wouldn't want apparently, that's for his fan club drones..... :D

Ok fine. Believe me, I'm not getting carried away. I've been through it all before with Harrington. But I am delighted and proud to be a fan of his this week.

Ok fine. Believe me, I'm not getting carried away. I've been through it all before with Harrington. But I am delighted and proud to be a fan of his this week.

Not you, but some posters were having orgasms.

Some still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

"If there is one thing that I have learnt over the last few years is that they don’t come along as often as you think, so when they do its important to celebrate them."

So true in golf and life in general ;)

Loire wrote: »
    "If there is one thing that I have learnt over the last few years is that they don’t come along as often as you think, so when they do its important to celebrate them."

So true in golf and life in general ;)

I'd say that's a direct order from the great man himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Not you, but some posters were having orgasms.

Some still are.

Jees, Padraig's win aside, you say you've played Augusta twice and that it's over-rated and now you're even being negative about orgasms!!

Is there any pleasing you?? :D

Jees, Padraig's win aside, you say you've played Augusta twice and that it's over-rated and now you're even being negative about orgasms!!

Is there any pleasing you?? :D

Its the wet dreams I don't care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Its the wet dreams I don't care for.

Why? You seem to like wet blankets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

To be honest, I don't really understand where you're coming from at all with your argument.

You seem to believe that others are getting carried away and that you had to bring some "realism" to the discussion. I can't recall a single post where someone was getting "carried away". Everyone realises it was a weaker field and that it doesn't automatically mean he will play well in bigger events next year. People are just encouraged that it is a step in the right direction and that he can hopefully build on it next year. No more than that.

You're arguing against something that nobody actually said.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't really understand where you're coming from at all with your argument.

You seem to believe that others are getting carried away and that you had to bring some "realism" to the discussion. I can't recall a single post where someone was getting "carried away". Everyone realises it was a weaker field and that it doesn't automatically mean he will play well in bigger events next year. People are just encouraged that it is a step in the right direction and that he can hopefully build on it next year. No more than that.

You're arguing against something that nobody actually said.

It is becoming a boring debate at this stage but seeing as you brought it up (again), we had people being "ecstatic" and people saying that at 16 under he would have beaten any field. I'd call both of those getting carried away.

Don't be so sensitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement