Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Harrington won that tournament a few years back, perhaps he blitzed the "Bear Trap" those four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Draupnir wrote: »
    Harrington won that tournament a few years back, perhaps he blitzed the "Bear Trap" those four days.

It was played on another course(Mirasol) when Harrington won it.

Very dissapointing last round. He seemed to miss a load of shortish putts in the first two rounds too. Hopefully he can improve as the season goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Draupnir wrote: »

He did win the Honda in 2005, however it was played at The Country Club at Mirasol when he won and not The Champion course at PGA National where the bear trap is now and where the Honda is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Maybe he needs a new kicking coach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Cheers lads, didn't realised they had moved the tournament, PH must think they are really out to get him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Just a quick question. Is Padraig in the US Masters or does he have to get back into top 50 in world rankings? I assume he's still in because his last major win still carries a entry to all majors for so many years.

Just wondering because I know Ernie Els has to try get back in the top 50 if he's to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just a quick question. Is Padraig in the US Masters or does he have to get back into top 50 in world rankings? I assume he's still in because his last major win still carries a entry to all majors for so many years.

Just wondering because I know Ernie Els has to try get back in the top 50 if he's to qualify.

5 year exemption from 08 PGA win so alright for this year and next.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Poor enough round today :rolleyes::p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

22 putts :eek: Only Padraig could shoot 61 and par 3 par 5's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

He was 66/1 to win this weekend. Was tempted to back him....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Great round by Paddy, 61 is some shooting!

However, what sets Paddy apart from the rest IMO is the other things. Look how he interacts with the media, always gives an insightful and interesting view. Tiger could learn a thing or two from him on that.

I also admire what he does for those less fortunate than himself in terms of his work for the special olympics, fundraising for his wife cousin's long term care etc.

Look how he conducts himself on the course - no petulance, smashing his clubs, anger to the galleries etc.

As a fan, he can drive you mad sometimes. However he is a class act. Deserves to be back amongst the best golfers in the world and hopefully he can continue his good shooting this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

very very well said Praf, a true credit to his sport and his country, I for one am very proud he's an Irishman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

PRAF wrote: »
    Great round by Paddy, 61 is some shooting!

However, what sets Paddy apart from the rest IMO is the other things. Look how he interacts with the media, always gives an insightful and interesting view. Tiger could learn a thing or two from him on that.

I also admire what he does for those less fortunate than himself in terms of his work for the special olympics, fundraising for his wife cousin's long term care etc.

Look how he conducts himself on the course - no petulance, smashing his clubs, anger to the galleries etc.

As a fan, he can drive you mad sometimes. However he is a class act. Deserves to be back amongst the best golfers in the world and hopefully he can continue his good shooting this weekend.

+1 million!
    Sums up exactly how I feel about PH. A sportsman of the highest integrity and a role model for us all... Hope he can keep it up over the weekend, I'd love nothing more than to see him challenging again for the big tournaments...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

lets send him one of those big cards so we can all sign it. with "paddy, youre our No.1 guy" written on the inside.

love from,

all the crew from boards.ie/golf -all on board the paddywagon!

that should distract him from thinking about his swing too much... altho he may run & hide never to be seen in public again.

- worst post of the year winner right here!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Fantastic shooting by PH. Lets hope he continues this form for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Fantastic shooting by PH. Lets hope he continues this form for the rest of the tournament.

For sure, how awesome would it be Sunday...

Padraig Harrington -40

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

k.p.h wrote: »
    Padraig Harrington -40

considering he made a total balls of the par 5's yesterday i think anything less than -40 would be a failure

- theres a good chance PH thinks that too!

One can never underestimate what PH might be thinking about....he really is capable of thinking on a level not before reached by golfers, and that's saying something.

Ah, I'm only messing, was a lovely way to wake up this morning, with news of his -10 on the sports bulletin, delighted to see him put a good round together, hopefully now he can go on and win the tournament from the front, it would do him the power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Harrington's problems have been folding on the weekends this year so hope it's not a case of history repeated. I hope he keeps it together. If he could take a 5/6 shot lead in to the weekend I'd give him a great shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Paddy getting some tv time .. :D

• Advertisement

His putting is awful in an awful category all on its own. Incredibly poor. Just missed a 1ft 10 inch putt. Completely yipped it. I'm now quite concerned he's going to really struggle to ever again be relevant over the course of a 4 day event, I think his head might be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He can't seem to put 4 rounds together in a meaningful way any more. When you consider he was -10 after the first round he lost some opportunity to win it. Down to 91st in world rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

From his FB update:

I am back home from Tampa after a disappointing finish at the Transitions Championship, after starting out unbelievably well. I shot my lowest round of my career, 61, to be ten under par and leading after the first round. However I wasn’t able to keep it going and I ended up shooting three over for the next three rounds. Leaving the course after the final round I was very disappointed, especially as the play-off score was 13 under par and I would only have had to shoot three under for the next three rounds to be in the play-off. Having started with a round of 61 the tournament was really in my hands if I continued to play decent.

When I played the course on Tuesday and Wednesday I felt that the scoring would be quite good as there wasn’t as much rough as usual, but I didn’t foresee myself shooting 61! I was feeling good about my game coming into the week and after the Wednesday pro-am, when I shot 64. Even with all this taken into account you can’t legislate for a round of ten under. The funny thing about my round was that I only birdied one of the par fives. It was a good mix of hitting it close and holing a couple of good putts. I got myself going on the first two holes by hitting it close and converting them for birdies. It all seemed quite easy and I never really put myself into any trouble. I pretty much had chances on every hole and I actually choked on the 11th as I had an eight footer up the hill to go seven under. While I was over the putt I was working out in my head what I had to do over the last seven holes to shoot 59. Needless to say I missed the putt, which is what happens when you get out of the present. However it may have made it easier in a way as it took the pressure of shooting a 59 off me. I birdied the 12th and then the last three holes to shoot 10 under. The highlight of the back nine was 76-foot putt on the 17th for a two!

It was great to shoot such a low score and it showed me that the work I am doing with Dave Alred is working and that my game is in very good shape. I would have been a lot happier if I could have continued on and won the tournament but unfortunately it wasn’t to be. The next three rounds were a struggle. On Friday I played fine, but just didn’t hit it as close as on Thursday and then I had a couple of three putts late in my round.

The weekend was very frustrating for me, as I seemed to get the wrong end of the swirling winds on most holes. This course is notorious for the swirling wind, but when things are going for you it is not an issue. However when things are not quite going it seems that every time you go to hit you are playing into the wind, which is what it felt like for me over the weekend, particularly on Sunday. It seemed like I played 17 holes into the wind; it was especially frustrating as I hit a lot of good shots that didn’t get rewarded as a result.

As much as I am disappointed with how I finished I am able to take a lot of positives from the week. Firstly, my routines were very good all week - the work I did on them during my week off was well worth it. Secondly I shot my lowest ever round, which shows me that I am on the right track with everything I am doing, especially as I came off the course feeling like I had left a few shots behind. As long as I keep doing the right things then the results will take care of themselves.

The only area that I wasn’t too happy with during the week was my putting. It was good on Thursday but I struggled a bit with it for the rest of the week. Looking at it now I can see that my putting routine is not quite 100% which is causing the problem. It is more evident to me after the work I have done on my routines for the rest of my game. I will be spend some time on this during my week off and look forward to getting back into action at Houston next week.

Talk soon,

Padraig.

He really is a very up-beat guy, fair play to him. I hope he gets a couple of wins in and starts making progress up the world rankings, it would be awful to see him peter out in a decline like he's been in for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

He'll get there I'm sure. Nobody just shoots a 10 under round out of the blue. Hopefully a win is just around the corner because there's no doubt he's playing better this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Would really love to see him come on form for the masters. A great ambassador for Ireland and the sport of golf.

With two top 5 finishes and a top 7, he obviously knows his way around Augusta. If he could just hook it all up and get his putter going, he would have a good showing and at 66-1 on paddypower - might be worth an each way.

The secret at Augusta is to score on the par 5's, I would not hold me breath for Padraig at The Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Saw the last 20 minutes of his interview with Gary Murphy on The Cut Line on Setanta Ireland last night. I know it's been shown before but that's the first time I came across it. Does anyone know if the programme can be watched online without an Eircom broadband connection? (Eircom offer Setanta content FOC if you have an account with them - I don't). Does anyone know if it's due on Setanta again soon?

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said he views his long game as a science and his short game as an art. He needs to get his long game technically nailed for 4 consecutive rounds to compete for the lead but even then his putting during the second round last week was woeful at times.

An inspiration to any young golfer out there.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

When I played the course on Tuesday and Wednesday I felt that the scoring would be quite good as there wasn’t as much rough as usual, but I didn’t foresee myself shooting 61! I was feeling good about my game coming into the week and after the Wednesday pro-am, when I shot 64. Even with all this taken into account you can’t legislate for a round of ten under. The funny thing about my round was that I only birdied one of the par fives. It was a good mix of hitting it close and holing a couple of good putts. I got myself going on the first two holes by hitting it close and converting them for birdies. It all seemed quite easy and I never really put myself into any trouble. I pretty much had chances on every hole and I actually choked on the 11th as I had an eight footer up the hill to go seven under. While I was over the putt I was working out in my head what I had to do over the last seven holes to shoot 59. Needless to say I missed the putt, which is what happens when you get out of the present. However it may have made it easier in a way as it took the pressure of shooting a 59 off me. I birdied the 12th and then the last three holes to shoot 10 under. The highlight of the back nine was 76-foot putt on the 17th for a two!

Jesus - what a clown. As a student of Bob Rotella for years how did he allow that thought to come into his head on the 11th hole !! One shot at a time and the score looks after itself. He putted sensationally on Thursday and crap for the remaining 3 days but according to PH it's because of his routine :mad: The routine must have been pretty good on Thursday. He also expressed surprise at parring 3 of the par 5's. If he looked at his stats he would be aware that this is his major weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

AldilaMan wrote: »

Jesus - what a clown. As a student of Bob Rotella for years how did he allow that thought to come into his head on the 11th hole !! One shot at a time and the score looks after itself. He putted sensationally on Thursday and crap for the remaining 3 days but according to PH it's because of his routine :mad: The routine must have been pretty good on Thursday. He also expressed surprise at parring 3 of the par 5's. If he looked at his stats he would be aware that this is his major weakness.

A bit harsh as I've never heard of a clown with 3 majors. Jaysus with advice like the above Dr. Bob will be haemorraging clients to u left, right and centre. Very positive signs in recent weeks for PH, only a matter of time before he proves all the haters wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement