Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have been delighted with the amount of activity on this thread that has been created by Harrington's win, but I'm finding the arguments tedious now.....yawn! Let the rest of us know when normal business resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

First Up wrote: »
    It is becoming a boring debate at this stage but seeing as you brought it up (again), we had people being "ecstatic" and people saying that at 16 under he would have beaten any field. I'd call both of those getting carried away.

Don't be so sensitive.

It would seem that it is you who is being sensitive to any declaration of happiness about Padraig's win. The two things you mention above seem fairly minor to me. I believe we can all put this particular win in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

By the sounds of it, First Up probably thinks he'd beat Harrington.

Anyways, thrilled for Padraig, he owes us Irish nothing, he will forever be a legend due to what he did. He made a big error trying to change a winning formula. Doesn't matter what standard that field was or how he won, he WON and that has to give him huge confidence. Padraig plays with a smile on his face win or lose, he is a true gentleman and a great inspiration for others in this country, so how anyone can say any bad of him is very unfair. Let's hope he can get a win on tour in the coming 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Anyone else notice the advert banner on the mobile site of this thread for masters tickets which says its the best tournament in the world?? Shhhh, don't tell first up, it could push him over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Right, getting back to business. He says he has 7 weeks off now. What will his first event back be and on what continent?

Looking at the schedules of all the tours my estimate is his first event back will be the Waste Management Pheonix Open. This is a little disappointing because it means hes missing the Dubai swing which is a big chunk of the European tours money allocation for the Race to Dubai. He usually plays in the Abu Dhabi one and has a decent record there. (Was leading and got ddisqualified before).

It must mean he's starting next year in America. Let's hope he can hit the nail on the head with this madness of 100,000 swings over Christmas because he'll need his A game straight away! Pity Hes not playing in the Volvo Champions event in Durban as that was handy ranking points etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes it's a pity Volvo dropped their sponsorship for the Champions event as it was his best event the last 2 seasons.

There's a TBC slot in October, I wonder could it slot in there if they get a new sponsor. The Euro tour has a full calendar apart from the week before The Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Right, getting back to business. He says he has 7 weeks off now. What will his first event back be and on what continent?

Looking at the schedules of all the tours my estimate is his first event back will be the Waste Management Pheonix Open. This is a little disappointing because it means hes missing the Dubai swing which is a big chunk of the European tours money allocation for the Race to Dubai. He usually plays in the Abu Dhabi one and has a decent record there. (Was leading and got ddisqualified before).

It must mean he's starting next year in America. Let's hope he can hit the nail on the head with this madness of 100,000 swings over Christmas because he'll need his A game straight away! Pity Hes not playing in the Volvo Champions event in Durban as that was handy ranking points etc.

Im actually concerned about this 100,000 swings thing - and im hoping he might change his mind on it.

In a way because he won last weekend - its almost a pity that he has to wait 7 weeks to play again.

Would have been handy if he could be out again playing sooner - as he could have looked to get some benefit from last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Old diesel wrote: »
    Im actually concerned about this 100,000 swings thing - and im hoping he might change his mind on it.

In a way because he won last weekend - its almost a pity that he has to wait 7 weeks to play again.

Would have been handy if he could be out again playing sooner - as he could have looked to get some benefit from last weekend

I'm not actually sure its possible,
    Thats 2 swings a minute for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 weeks...

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure its possible,

.......and that to me seems a bit ridiculous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yea but its only 6 swings a minute for 4 hours, makes perfect sense on Planet Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the advert banner on the mobile site of this thread for masters tickets which says its the best tournament in the world?? Shhhh, don't tell first up, it could push him over the edge!

Ah, now I get it. I'm in a Kindergarten.
    Should have realised that sooner; I must be slowing down.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, First Up probably thinks he'd beat Harrington.

Anyways, thrilled for Padraig, he owes us Irish nothing, he will forever be a legend due to what he did. He made a big error trying to change a winning formula. Doesn't matter what standard that field was or how he won, he WON and that has to give him huge confidence. Padraig plays with a smile on his face win or lose, he is a true gentleman and a great inspiration for others in this country, so how anyone can say any bad of him is very unfair. Let's hope he can get a win on tour in the coming 12 months.

What would you define as "saying bad of him"? Any examples?

Anyway these exchanges have been interesting and it is good to meet so many of Padraig's loyal fans. I'll know what to do next time he is in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

vienne86 wrote: »
    .......and that to me seems a bit ridiculous!

if you were doing a bit of chipping practice, 4 swings in a minute probably would be much ..... practice, chip, practice, chip... that's four for a start. 60 seconds is longer than you think, lads. Padraig is playing with your heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

2,000 swings a day at 2 swings per minute would be nearly 17 hours. Even at 4 swings a minute, it would be nearly 8 and a half hours. I hope he was only joking.

if you were doing a bit of chipping practice, 4 swings in a minute probably would be much ..... practice, chip, practice, chip... that's four for a start. 60 seconds is longer than you think, lads. Padraig is playing with your heads!

It's very sad to me. Surely there are other things in his life!

I chanced upon this quote from a speech given by Teddy Roosevelt at the Sorbonne in 1910.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better."

I wonder what he would think of the comments made by some people in response to Padraig's recent victory.

abff wrote: »
    I chanced upon this quote from a speech given by Teddy Roosevelt at the Sorbonne in 1910.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better."

I wonder what he would think of the comments made by some people in response to Padraig's recent victory.

I think he was talking about Boards.ie in general.

Anyone know why PH didn't go on to Thailand? Quite a good field there.

I think he was talking about Boards.ie in general.

Anyone know why PH didn't go on to Thailand? Quite a good field there.

32 events this year so taking 7 weeks off.

32 events this year so taking 7 weeks off.

Fair enough. Just thought that being in the region etc. Darren C is there, plus Kaymer, Garcia, Bubba Watson and others so either decent prize fund or good appearance money - or both.

Fair enough. Just thought that being in the region etc. Darren C is there, plus Kaymer, Garcia, Bubba Watson and others so either decent prize fund or good appearance money - or both.

Prize money is $1,000,000, which is a bit better than last week's $750,000, but still very small by PGA/European Tour standards. I'd say there's a lot of appearance money being paid.

• Advertisement

Prize money is $1,000,000, which is a bit better than last week's $750,000, but still very small by PGA/European Tour standards. I'd say there's a lot of appearance money being paid.

Has to be. Mind you, with the weather around here, I would be prepared to play in Chonburi for NOTHING.

Just came across this on the European Tour website. http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=245352.html

Doesn't seem to have hit the radar screen at all. Maybe it was too close to Christmas when it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Good for him. A nice accolade to have and its good to see some recognition from the PGA. Hopefully, he'll have a successful 2015...

I see from Padraig's website that he is scheduled to play in the Waste Management Phoenix Open commencing on Thursday 29th January. I presume he will also be playing in the AT&T Pro-Am two weeks later (does anyone know?).

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

I see from Padraig's website that he is scheduled to play in the Waste Management Phoenix Open commencing on Thursday 29th January. I presume he will also be playing in the AT&T Pro-Am two weeks later (does anyone know?).

Im sure I read that he is playing four weeks in a row starting at Phoenix

Dero123 wrote: »
    Im sure I read that he is playing four weeks in a row starting at Phoenix

And I think Lowry is playing in Phoenix too. Nice ot have two Irish players to watch.

vienne86 wrote: »
    And I think Lowry is playing in Phoenix too. Nice ot have two Irish players to watch.

I think Shane is playing the 2 weeks after Phoenix, Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach unless he's got an invite to Scottsdale in the meantime?

I think Shane is playing the 2 weeks after Phoenix, Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach unless he's got an invite to Scottsdale in the meantime?

My mistake. He starts his season in Torrey Pines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

He's scheduled to play in the Gaiety Theatre next Tuesday and Wednesday. ;)

Looking forward to seeing him.

• Advertisement

Padraig is going to be on the Late Late tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement