Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

redzerdrog wrote: »
    he won last time out!;)

Absolutely - I more meant his general performances in recent times - like todays performance.

the win was interesting in that it came completely againsed the run of form - and youd wonder if he stepped away from the USA - which doesn't seem to be doing him good at the moment - and focused on Europe or Asia - would it be better for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Old diesel wrote: »
    Absolutely - I more meant his general performances in recent times - like todays performance.

the win was interesting in that it came completely againsed the run of form - and youd wonder if he stepped away from the USA - which doesn't seem to be doing him good at the moment - and focused on Europe or Asia - would it be better for him.

I think a lot of us speculated about him playing more in Europe, but he seems to like it in America.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think a lot of us speculated about him playing more in Europe, but he seems to like it in America.

Youd think that doing well somewhere like Fota, the Dunhill links or in Indonesia would be far more fun then struggling to make the cut in America.

Its almost as much of a headscratcher as him saying he wanted to do something like do 7,000 strokes over the 7 weeks.

Can't fathom it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I agree with him staying away from the US as well, lately he just can't seem to score there. Would love to see him do a season in Europe alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I'd imagine he is just making the most of his invites for now, we will see more of him on the european tour this year and next until his invites run out in maybe 2 seasons he will look to use his exemption for one last crack at the states id say

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I agree with him staying away from the US as well, lately he just can't seem to score there. Would love to see him do a season in Europe alone.

He was like a different man altogether in Indonesia by all accounts - and while theres no doubt the field was easier - and 16 under par was possibly down to the course.

I don't think those two factors fully account for it.

he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in Portugal late last year - but from what I can see - his form in Portugal seemed to be better then anything his done in the US since.

Especially since - as far as I recall - he was starting to make progress in his 3rd round - when rain halted it - meaning his score was based on the first 2 rounds only.

I'd love to see more of him in Europe and feel he could do well. But he's his own man. Presumably he has his reasons for wanting to play in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Here is the whiff the I was talking about before..... forgot to notice it was a left handed shot :D

https://vine.co/v/Ot5Euw3KL1T

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Big Padraig fan.

But biggest laugh I got on here in a while.

He honestly looked like a lad on his big society outing in The Heritage - 10 pints in him from night before.

I've been there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good questions to change mood.

What happened next ?

Best answer wins the next chance to say he is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd love to see more of him in Europe and feel he could do well. But he's his own man. Presumably he has his reasons for wanting to play in America.

Having a bad season in the US probably pays a lot more than an average season in Europe.

PARlance wrote: »
    Having a bad season in the US probably pays a lot more than an average season in Europe.

Fair enough, but is he after money or playing form?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fair enough, but is he after money or playing form?

Hard to know with Paddy, money probably doesn't factor into it that much. Probably more likely that he has to challenge himself as much as possible, and he would consider a switch to Euro Tour much less of a personal challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

PARlance wrote: »
    Hard to know with Paddy, money probably doesn't factor into it that much. Probably more likely that he has to challenge himself as much as possible, and he would consider a switch to Euro Tour much less of a personal challenge.

I assume this is intended as a tongue in cheek comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

He has had a long break. Mentioned at his first night in the Gaiety (great night) that he hadn't hit a ball for 6 weeks(!). Seems to have been practising swings without the ball (remember all the swings he said he was going to take over those weeks, or was it shots?). Anyway, let's hope he can work his way back into things over the next couple of week-ends..... the man's a legend.

He has had a long break. Mentioned at his first night in the Gaiety (great night) that he hadn't hit a ball for 6 weeks(!). Seems to have been practising swings without the ball (remember all the swings he said he was going to take over those weeks, or was it shots?). Anyway, let's hope he can work his way back into things over the next couple of week-ends..... the man's a legend.

I was optimistic when I heard he wasn't hitting balls.......but still swinging the club.....sure that's not a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I love the man but that air shot is absolutely shocking.

I'm beginning to think he may not be back yet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah in fairness - the air shot ? he was already gone, so he might as well try something fun! :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Ah in fairness - the air shot ? he was already gone, so he might as well try something fun! :D

Trying something fun on the golf course is not something I would associate with Padraig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

ForeRight wrote: »
    I love the man but that air shot is absolutely shocking.

I'm beginning to think he may not be back yet at all.

Have to agree. Sorry lads but I wouldn't try that in a club comp. He is tarnishing his achievements. He's only makes the news on golf websites/channels when they're poking fun at something he said or did. "Watch Paddy whiff!"

He and Tiger went down the same road. Maybe they got bored and thought they needed more 'info' to really 'figure' this game out. Padraig is full of mixed messages and psychobabble that he switches between when it suits him.

I'm making the following up but its the type of stuff he comes out with. "I can be negative, but in a positive way. If I hit in in the trees i'll say I wanted to go there in my mind just to keep my mindset positive. I played well but in a bad way. My left brain is blocking out my right brain."

Crikey if he even stuck to one type of mumbo jumbo but he doesn't. he's all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

The whiff criticism is unfair, I think he needed a birdie on last to have an outisde chance of making the cut, taking the penalty drop would have ruled that out so he tried the mad shot.

Crazy as it looked it was the professional thing to do, you make the cut or you don't missing by 1 or 6 is all the same.

That said I'm going to take a break from the Harrington roller coaster this year. There's only so much heartbreak I can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Padraig should join the Asian tour as he seems to be competitive any time he plays on it!

Padraig should join the Asian tour as he seems to be competitive any time he plays on it!

Well at least step away from the USA - its doing him no good at all at the moment :(:(:(:(.

He might do a bit better in Europe - compared to the US - but its hard to say - but I definitely can't see what benefit hes getting from keeping going in the US - AT THE MOMENT.

Actually - hed probably be much better off financially in the Asian tour - his one win last time out netted him more then hes going to get (on current form) on the US Tour over a much longer time period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This thread sometimes just....

giphy.gif

...ah he's great look what he's done, o brutal stuff, I think he can still do it, o brutal stuff, ah he's great look what he's done...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well at least step away from the USA - its doing him no good at all at the moment :(:(:(:(.

He might do a bit better in Europe - compared to the US - but its hard to say - but I definitely can't see what benefit hes getting from keeping going in the US - AT THE MOMENT.

Actually - hed probably be much better off financially in the Asian tour - his one win last time out netted him more then hes going to get (on current form) on the US Tour over a much longer time period.

Five tournaments in the US since October and total earnings of $19,000. Best finish tied 73rd.

First Up wrote: »
    Five tournaments in the US since October and total earnings of $19,000. Best finish tied 73rd.

Exactly - backs up the point the other poster made regarding him joining the Aisian tour

Exactly - backs up the point the other poster made regarding him joining the Aisian tour

He is such an optimist that he is unlikely to accept he can't compete on the PGA Tour, despite the evidence to the contrary. I think he still has a property in the US and can presumably do some engagements for sponsors etc while he's there. He would have far fewer connections or business interests in Asia and although he should compete better, the tournaments are much less glamorous.

I suspect he just wants to be part of the big scene for as long as he can and its hard to blame him for that.

He is such an optimist that he is unlikely to accept he can't compete on the PGA Tour, despite the evidence to the contrary. I think he still has a property in the US and can presumably do some engagements for sponsors etc while he's there. He would have far fewer connections or business interests in Asia and although he should compete better, the tournaments are much less glamorous.

I suspect he just wants to be part of the big scene for as long as he can and its hard to blame him for that.

Oh you definitely can't blame him for that - and it should be for the man himself to do what HE wants to or feels is RIGHT FOR HIM.

I think it would be better for him to scale down by playing in tournaments hes more competitive in.

It was like a whole different scene for him altogether when he was shooting 16 under par AND WINNING in Asia - compared to 7 over and missing the cut on the US.

One good result a year in Asia is all hed need to be FINANCIALLY better off from actually playing golf - then a long period going nowhere in US.

And that's the frank analysis of it - hes going nowhere in the US

Oh you definitely can't blame him for that - and it should be for the man himself to do what HE wants to or feels is RIGHT FOR HIM.

I think it would be better for him to scale down by playing in tournaments hes more competitive in.

It was like a whole different scene for him altogether when he was shooting 16 under par AND WINNING in Asia - compared to 7 over and missing the cut on the US.

One good result a year in Asia is all hed need to be FINANCIALLY better off from actually playing golf - then a long period going nowhere in US.

And that's the frank analysis of it - hes going nowhere in the US

But surely prize money is not the issue for him anymore. I just think he wants to be where he thinks a Major winner should be - mixing it with the big boys and getting the recognition and status that goes with it. I don't mean in a big ego sense (he is not like that); he is just comfortable in that environment.

He could probably do well on the Asian Tour but he would be in unfamiliar places with people from the region he doesn't know and a few journey men from Australia, the US and Europe.

And he obviously still believes that next week.....

• Advertisement

But surely prize money is not the issue for him anymore. I just think he wants to be where he thinks a Major winner should be - mixing it with the big boys and getting the recognition and status that goes with it. I don't mean in a big ego sense (he is not like that); he is just comfortable in that environment.

He could probably do well on the Asian Tour but he would be in unfamiliar places with people from the region he doesn't know and a few journey men from Australia, the US and Europe.

And he obviously still believes that next week.....

..... that he can turn it around.

I suppose the thing about going on the Asian tour is that it would allow him to either

a) continue competing and gradually wind down to retirement

OR

b) if he still has the ability - to actually rebuild his career.

Obviously he still wants to be with the big boys - but why be there if you can't compete.

I mentioned somewhere in this tread before Christmas about him downgrading to a lower level - and someone was alluding to the fact that the events he had been doing at the start of the US season were actually lower level events anyway due to a lot of the big contenders not been in action.

I think that's what was said - but I may be misremembering and apologies if so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement