Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Redzah wrote: »
    A bit harsh as I've never heard of a clown with 3 majors. Jaysus with advice like the above Dr. Bob will be haemorraging clients to u left, right and centre. Very positive signs in recent weeks for PH, only a matter of time before he proves all the haters wrong.

I agree with this fully. The reason the psychologists go on about staying in the present so much is because it's hard to do. How often do we ourselves stand on the 15th tee figuring out what you need to do over the last four to post a score.

Harrington is human and everyone makes mistakes, I wouldn't go too hard on him for looking forward.

Everything seems to be slotting slowly into place, would love to see him win again. If he can steady his putting down, he could get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh I think he takes it to an extreme though.
    IMO he's a fantastic golfer, 3 majors says it all, a great guy who conducts himself as he should on and off the course. A real role model for juniors. And he has nothing left to prove to anyone IMO.

However, I do think in the last few years he's lost the plot a bit, its almost like he revels in being that little bit "different" to the rest of the pros. Remember the putting practice strokes over the ball last year, this year its the left leg stuck out behind him before he stands in to hit the shot. I'm not advocating total conformity or we'd all be robots, but he does make it hard to follow him or support him at times with his contrived mannerisms. Put it this way, imagine the slagging we'd give him if he wasn't Irish :D

I wish he'd just "play" ffs and let his ability come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Russman wrote: »

However, I do think in the last few years he's lost the plot a bit, its almost like he revels in being that little bit "different" to the rest of the pros. Remember the putting practice strokes over the ball last year, this year its the left leg stuck out behind him before he stands in to hit the shot. I'm not advocating total conformity or we'd all be robots, but he does make it hard to follow him or support him at times with his contrived mannerisms. Put it this way, imagine the slagging we'd give him if he wasn't Irish :D

I wish he'd just "play" ffs and let his ability come through.

I think 99% of the grief he gets on these pages is precisely because he's Irish. There are lots of really talented former Major winners who have been some way off their best in recent times but nobody here ever really comments on it. Think of Geoff Ogilvy, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Angel Cabrera and most obviously David Duval, Michael Campbell & Mike Weir. Maybe all of these guys get similar grief from their own fellow countrymen, I don't know. It's just that nothing Padraig does can be 'under the radar' on this forum. Every competitive round is analysed/discussed purely because he's Irish and a 3 time Major winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Martin567 wrote: »
    I think 99% of the grief he gets on these pages is precisely because he's Irish. There are lots of really talented former Major winners who have been some way off their best in recent times but nobody here ever really comments on it. Think of Geoff Ogilvy, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Angel Cabrera and most obviously David Duval, Michael Campbell & Mike Weir. Maybe all of these guys get similar grief from their own fellow countrymen, I don't know. It's just that nothing Padraig does can be 'under the radar' on this forum. Every competitive round is analysed/discussed purely because he's Irish and a 3 time Major winner.

Totally agree, most important part being he is a 3 time major winner and is a legend in this country. Before PH ireland had no majors, after winning 3 you could argue that this provided self belief to other irish golfers who subsequently brought the total up to 6. May sound a bit far fetched but it is very coincidental that PH opened up the floodgates for both himself and others.

He's trying exceptionally hard to get his game back and it is very commendable, its very easy to say his heads all over the place and he should just get out and play but i'm sure he's tried that and it hasn't worked so he's trying everything he can to get a bit more self belief, fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

....and because we desperately want him to do well

.....and because we feel his game is good enough if he'd only just let it happen and not over-think things, which leads to us being frustrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

A bit harsh as I've never heard of a clown with 3 majors. Jaysus with advice like the above Dr. Bob will be haemorraging clients to u left, right and centre. Very positive signs in recent weeks for PH, only a matter of time before he proves all the haters wrong.

Exactly what advice are you talking about? I think you'll find that the "one shot at a time" philosophy is from Bob Rotella.

Who are the haters you refer to? I don't think anyone on this site hates PH - just infuriated by his constant tinkering and psycho babble. Even PH must have a hard time believing his own positive outlook. I can't see him winning on the PGA tour again but feel free to resurrect this post if that miracle happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Exactly what advice are you talking about? I think you'll find that the "one shot at a time" philosophy is from Bob Rotella.

Who are the haters you refer to? I don't think anyone on this site hates PH - just infuriated by his constant tinkering and psycho babble. Even PH must have a hard time believing his own positive outlook. I can't see him winning on the PGA tour again but feel free to resurrect this post if that miracle happens.

The advice i'm talking about is your generic one shot at a time crap. :D It doesn't take a genious to work out that one shot at a time is the same as any other piece of advice u get in all walks of life such as 'don't get ahead of yourself'etc. Dr. Bob did def not invent 'One shot at a time', he has promoted this and has advised players of methods to keep in the present as it is a difficult thing to do in certain circumstances such as when u are -7 through 11 holes or whatever he was.

The haters I am referring to are posters who have come out with comments such as 'Jesus he is a clown' or 'infuriated by his constant tinkering'. Fury is an emotion that is often used to display hatred. The guys just shot 61 and has finished the tournament about 6 shots (open to correction) off the pace over 4 days which is not a lot.

Looking forward to resurrecting your post, comon Podge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh now, in fairness, fury is more anger than hate.
    I certainly don't hate Padraig, I really hope he recaptures his form and gets back to where a guy with his talent should be, but I'll readily admit his tinkering, mannerisms, utterances etc infuriate me, make me angry, frustrated, call it what you will.

You're correct about Dr Bob, his books are a great read IMO and can be very helpful but everything in them is complete common sense, and he certainly didn't invent the wheel. Although in one of them he clearly states that nothing he espouses or teaches is in any way new.

I think everyone on the thread wishes him well but it seems to some people that he's not helping himself, or to quote Dr Bob, he's "getting in his own way" :)

Maybe there's too big a stubborn streak in him, and when Bob Torrence told him he was mad to try change his swing given his age he decided he would anyway, I don't know. I seem to remember a quote or story at the time where Bob was saying he'd be hitting perfect shot after perfect shot but insist his arm was in the wrong position - that, at 40 years of age, is in my humble opinion, a little OTT. He always stated in his early career that he wanted to get to the point of having a low maintenance swing that he didn't have to constantly work on, and now, in recent times he says he's alway going to tinker and thats just the way he his.

As I say, he's had a wonderful career and if he never hit another golf shot again, his place in the upper echelons of golf history is assured, but I really really hope he clears his head and regains his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I just wish he'd shut up about his 17 swing changes for 2012,stop telling Charlie Mulqueen and the rest about how he feels his game is like Christmas (coming back again)....

Put the head down keep quiet and just play hard please

His honesty is a stick used to beat him with every time he opens his gob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

soundsham wrote: »
    I just wish he'd shut up about his 17 swing changes for 2012,stop telling Charlie Mulqueen and the rest about how he feels his game is like Christmas (coming back again)....

Put the head down keep quiet and just play hard please

His honesty is a stick used to beat him with every time he opens his gob

I agree 100% with this. The problem is that he seems to love talking about the whole process so much. It seems to me that he is just so fascinated by the process that he can't stop himself from sharing this fascination once he gets started at all.

I would guess that there are other players who work on similar stuff, in the same detail as Padraig. The difference is that they don't talk about it so much.

• Advertisement

The advice i'm talking about is your generic one shot at a time crap. :D It doesn't take a genious to work out that one shot at a time is the same as any other piece of advice u get in all walks of life such as 'don't get ahead of yourself'etc. Dr. Bob did def not invent 'One shot at a time', he has promoted this and has advised players of methods to keep in the present as it is a difficult thing to do in certain circumstances such as when u are -7 through 11 holes or whatever he was.

The haters I am referring to are posters who have come out with comments such as 'Jesus he is a clown' or 'infuriated by his constant tinkering'. Fury is an emotion that is often used to display hatred. The guys just shot 61 and has finished the tournament about 6 shots (open to correction) off the pace over 4 days which is not a lot.

I love my wife but she regulary infuriates me and yet I never hate her. Go figure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 munstermaddog

I think what your trying to say is Don't hate the player, Hate the game!

@IrishGolfDesk: Ronan Flood has a part in Padraig Harrington's latest acting efforts for Wilson, 16 seconds in. http://t.co/qx2fFXH1 #themethod

PH 3 under through 8 and has birdied the 2 par 5's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

AldilaMan wrote: »
    PH 3 under through 8 and has birdied the 2 par 5's

Here we go again.... :)

He's parred the ninth, so a nice front nine. Keep it going Padraig

Has shot tracker got it wrong with Harrington's first on the 10th? Hope not

1. 371yds to Left Fairway, 5yds to hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

newport2 wrote: »
    Has shot tracker got it wrong with Harrington's first on the 10th? Hope not

1. 371yds to Left Fairway, 5yds to hole

data not available, had a 4 anyway

I missed that but I did see they had named him as Longest Driver with 371....

Whyner wrote: »
    I missed that but I did she they had named him as Longest Driver with 371....

They had it wrong, he was there in 2.

Hitting his irons good, another approach to 6ft on the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bogeys his first 2 par 5s today again after getting to -4 early in the round

• Advertisement

I'd love to know what his average par 5 score
    Must be way down the rankings
    If he left Ronan play the par 5's he'd finish higher every week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

he today off as didn't make 3rd round cut

Par 5 avg here

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?144

He avg 4.75 on par 5's t151

Rory leading on 4.17 but way ahead of the field

Trampas wrote: »
    he today off as didn't make 3rd round cut

Par 5 avg here

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?144

He avg 4.75 on par 5's t151

Rory leading on 4.17 but way ahead of the field

He's fallen to tied 161 after this week
    That's an appalling stat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Whyner wrote: »

Wouldn't you just love to see Podge in the Butler's Cabin on Sunday night? :cool:

Loire wrote: »
    Wouldn't you just love to see Podge in the Butler's Cabin on Sunday night? :cool:

If he is in there chances are he will have a club in his hand playing a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He really could do with a good week as he has now fallen to number 96 in the world rankings!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

He really could do with a good week as he has now fallen to number 96 in the world rankings!

Shane Lowry will overtake him this year unless he has a few good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

soundsham wrote: »
    If he is in there chances are he will have a club in his hand playing a shot

:D You're probably right though

• Advertisement

-3 for the par 5's
    Let's see what he can do today
    Has to be something like -2 or -3 on the par 5's each day really to finish up the leader board
    -3 thurs
    -1 fri
    -3 sat

Another -3 today and who knows
    Definitely proves you have to score well on the 5's every week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement