Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Imagine how myself and Keano feel?

Imagine how Padraig feels reading it? On the verge of a severe migraine or laughing his ass off at all us armchair experts? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Where's the spacecraft experience taking us this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He has dropped 30 places in the world rankings already this season & is down to number 295.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He has dropped 30 places in the world rankings already this season & is down to number 295.

That doesn't surprise me - at that end of the world ranking list a good/bad week can huge effect given that the points are so bunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I see he just posted up a review of his 3 days in pebble beach on his Facebook page. Starts off by saying he broke his driver on range before starting on Thursday and hadn't time to practise with the new one before starting. only hit driver when he had to due to lack of confidence in it. Blames the driver for a lot of his poor scores.

finished up saying that he was playing relatively well on Saturday giving it was the hardest course and on the 18th tee was on the cut Mark. He remarks that he all he needed to do was make par. so tees off with driver because needed to carry trap and couldn't do it with 3 wood. most of us know he went left and chipped, rebounded and went OB. finished with a trible and missed cut.

after reading this I'd say his game is in decent shape but mentally he's gone!! the pressure of having to make par on last got to him and had triple...didn't use driver at all hardly due to lack of confidence, surly it's the same spec as broken one? range session with it after Thursdays round not good enough to get used to it for next two days? has fallen into an awful habit of havin one bad hole most days like a triple or more. You just can't get away with that kind of scoring and expect to be in contention.

I really like him and obviously he has the golf to win, he is a 3 time major winner after all. Just needs to get someone who will help him with mental side of things and some one who he will listen to rather than overthinkibg everything himself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

So the broken driver before play last week caused all the problems?

Is that the driver he's been using for the last few years?

ForeRight wrote: »
    So the broken driver before play last week caused all the problems?

Is that the driver he's been using for the last few years?

Thats the impression I get from his review anyway.

Have a look https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-att-pebble-beach-national-pro-am-review/10153168889208573

shaunac93 wrote: »

He's some man for the excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I see he just posted up a review of his 3 days in pebble beach on his Facebook page. Starts off by saying he broke his driver on range before starting on Thursday and hadn't time to practise with the new one before starting. only hit driver when he had to due to lack of confidence in it. Blames the driver for a lot of his poor scores.

finished up saying that he was playing relatively well on Saturday giving it was the hardest course and on the 18th tee was on the cut Mark. He remarks that he all he needed to do was make par. so tees off with driver because needed to carry trap and couldn't do it with 3 wood. most of us know he went left and chipped, rebounded and went OB. finished with a trible and missed cut.

after reading this I'd say his game is in decent shape but mentally he's gone!! the pressure of having to make par on last got to him and had triple...didn't use driver at all hardly due to lack of confidence, surly it's the same spec as broken one? range session with it after Thursdays round not good enough to get used to it for next two days? has fallen into an awful habit of havin one bad hole most days like a triple or more. You just can't get away with that kind of scoring and expect to be in contention.

I really like him and obviously he has the golf to win, he is a 3 time major winner after all. Just needs to get someone who will help him with mental side of things and some one who he will listen to rather than overthinkibg everything himself!!

Sums up a lot of his difficulties really

the reality is that BEFORE that triple at the last on Saturday he was just 4 shots behind Shane Lowery after 53 holes (17th hole 3rd round) - this was AFTER doing something similar at the start of the 2nd round the day before.

Yet Shane was able to hit a birdie at the 18th - while Padraig shot a nightmare triple.

That's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So Padraig... how'd you break that driver? :)

harrington-knees-650x366.jpg

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    So Padraig... how'd you break that driver? :)

harrington-knees-650x366.jpg

Love that the two lads behind him are literally like "Wtf is that lad at? and how has he won 3 majors". Paddy is a mad man but seriously needs to go back and do the simple things right if he ever wants to win a decent competition again.

What a hero he is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Would the replacement driver have been a whole lot different to the one he broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nope, but as we all know, once you let something get inside your head.

He had himself convinced he wasn't going to be able to hit the driver well and then when it came to 18, was probably thinking the same as he stood over the shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Rikand wrote: »
    Nope, but as we all know, once you let something get inside your head.

He had himself convinced he wasn't going to be able to hit the driver well and then when it came to 18, was probably thinking the same as he stood over the shot

That's a pretty straight forward and likely theory on what happened to him on the 18.....didn't he have pretty bad driving stats in the farmers the week before with the driver he reckons he was more comfortable with than the one he was forced to replace it with? funny ol game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

vienne86 wrote: »
    Would the replacement driver have been a whole lot different to the one he broke?

It can be the same spec in every way but no 2 clubs are exactly the same, they would feel slightly different and that can be enough sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Playing at Riviera today - out at 7:30pm Irish time. Was interesting reading his Facebook post a few minutes ago in that he has done very little in the way of practice for this event. I actually think this could be a welcome change. It would be nice to see him make the cut this weekend.
    I have taken a more relaxed approach to the week - I took Monday and most of Tuesday off. In fact I only went to the course for an hour to get a new driver. On Wednesday I played the pro-am and then afterwards hit a bucket of balls and did some chipping, bunker and putting practice. I certainly can't be accused of overdoing it, but it's been great as Caroline is out and we got to relax together.
    I really like this venue and so what better place to get my year going. I am playing late/early with Zac Blair and Jason Gore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

HighLine wrote: »
    Playing at Riviera today - out at 7:30pm Irish time. Was interesting reading his Facebook post a few minutes ago in that he has done very little in the way of practice for this event. I actually think this could be a welcome change. It would be nice to see him make the cut this weekend.

Good luck Paddy.

This is the week lads, I sense it!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

This is the week lads, I sense it!

The week he makes the cut ?

• Advertisement

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    The week he makes the cut ?

He'll either win, or just make the cut, or not make the cut. One of those three, I sense it!

He'll either win, or just make the cut, or not make the cut. One of those three, I sense it!

A great week this week for Harrington is making the cut lads, it will give him something to work on. Fingers crossed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've deleted some posts re betting. Please read the charter before posting again.

Keano wrote: »
    I've deleted some posts re betting. Please read the charter before posting again.

I thought mentioning odds was fine provided it's not the substantive element of your post?

Charter
    Betting
    Do no make posts that are purely around betting/odds in any thread other than the gambling thread above.

Its fine to make a comment on a bet you had on someone etc but this must not be the main purpose of your post.

Keano wrote: »

Well done Keano, I did follow the rules, enjoy your little power trip.

Betting
    Do no make posts that are purely around betting/odds in any thread other than the gambling thread above.

Its fine to make a comment on a bet you had on someone etc but this must not be the main purpose of your post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

HighLine wrote: »
    I thought mentioning odds was fine provided it's not the substantive element of your post?

Charter
    Yes all 3 posts deleted were purely betting.

Any more questions please drop me a PM.

See Sky Sports coverage doesn't start until 10 tonight.. very annoying, I know it's the host broadcaster's fault but perhaps it's time for Sky to invest in the PGA Tour and pay for it's own coverage.

There is some live coverage on featured holes over on pgatour.com for anyone who is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Should we keep quiet until he finishes each round. It seems to work as in he's going relatively well until somebody mentions it and then it all turns to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Should we keep quiet until he finishes each round. It seems to work as in he's going relatively well until somebody mentions it and then it all turns to pot.

Excellent idea! Mods, please lock this thread until its all over..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Plenty of high scoring out there already, might be a tough day, level par looks like it will be a good start for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement