Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yesterdays round cost him dearly really

Does he still win some prize money today for making it to the end????

I think Seve has an unclaimed "most golf" prize from the weekend!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

vienne86 wrote: »
    Don't think he is stuck for a few bob, but yes, everyone who makes the cut gets a cheque.

Oh im sure money isn't an issue for him - but its nice to think that he will get something out of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

charlieIRL wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can anyone translate for me, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »

J Vegas has that nailed at +16 I'd say.
    Boards.Venezuela is in meltdown :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

abff wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can anyone translate for me, please?

Golf Society prize from the event at the weekend.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    J Vegas has that nailed at +16 I'd say.
    Boards.Venezuela is in meltdown :)

That doesn't really clarify anything for me.

In other news, nice to see that Padraig has just birdied the 7th (his 16th hole).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

And promptly bogeyed the eighth! Which is no real surprise.

Nice to see him putting in a solid final round though. It's a start to his season anyway.

And promptly bogeyed the eighth! Which is no real surprise.

Nice to see him putting in a solid final round though. It's a start to his season anyway.

:(

Still im happy with how he turned things around today after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

4 rounds, no double bogeys or worse, that's progress

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That doesn't really clarify anything for me.

In other news, nice to see that Padraig has just birdied the 7th (his 16th hole).

Didn't see your post, it was a reference to another thread for a prize for worst score on a day.

• Advertisement

Right - leaderboard is now showing Padraig as having completed his round - and level par for the round.

T56 is his position

For perspective - it is worth noting that level par for the tournament is actually T22 at the moment.

Whats more - quite a few scores in the +3 to +5 range being clocked up today.

Someone went from -5 to level par today (round of +5) taking him out of BOTH top 10 AND top 20 - what a sickener that must be for that guy

Right - leaderboard is now showing Padraig as having completed his round - and level par for the round.

T56 is his position

For perspective - it is worth noting that level par for the tournament is actually T22 at the moment.

Whats more - quite a few scores in the +3 to +5 range being clocked up today.

Someone went from -5 to level par today (round of +5) taking him out of BOTH top 10 AND top 20 - what a sickener that must be for that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Tied 56th. Well that was a bit of a recovery from Saturday. Good enough round on a difficult enough day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

As we know Padraig is playing without a PGA tour card this year and his chances will be limited. Is there a limit to the amount of tournaments he can play in on sponsor exemptions? I thought it was said to be 7 somewhere before??

He has already played 8 tournaments this season on tour and probably got into some of these on last years ranking with weaker fields etc.

After 8 tournaments he is in 208th place on the Fedex cup rankings. In other words doing nothing to show us he is going to retain his card through making enough money/points.

He is down to play in The Honda next week but there is nothing after that on his website?

I just wonder how much Golf he is going to have in the US over the coming months now that everyone is more or less back playing and with the limited number of invites he can use?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He must be running out of sponsors invites at this stage or is there any limit on sponsors invites. He is still miles away from doing better than making the cut for the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Once again he achieved 0 ranking points despite the made cut. Down to 297th now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He must be running out of sponsors invites at this stage or is there any limit on sponsors invites. He is still miles away from doing better than making the cut for the weekends.

I think there is some limit, but we'll need one of the gurus here to inform us. Certainly he is not getting much bang for his buck at the moment. Maybe we'll see him back in Europe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think there is some limit, but we'll need one of the gurus here to inform us. Certainly he is not getting much bang for his buck at the moment. Maybe we'll see him back in Europe soon.

I found this. I don't know how accurate it is though

http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/a/sponsor-exemptions.htm

Example: PGA Tour Sponsor Exemption Policies

Let's stick with the PGA Tour for examples of specific policies relating to sponsor exemptions. Consider a "standard," full-field PGA Tour event, say, the Honda Classic or the Texas Open. Here are the PGA Tour's guidelines for the use of sponsor exemptions by such events:

A tournament can award a maximum of eight sponsor exemptions (amateurs are eligible so long as said amateurs have handicaps of zero or less).
    The tournament must look at the list of players who finished in the Top 25 at Q-School, plus the players who finished 2-25 on the previous year's Nationwide Tour money list. If any of those players are not already in the field, at least two sponsor exemptions must go to those players.
    At least two sponsor exemptions must also be used on PGA Tour members who are not otherwise in the field.
    As you can see, PGA Tour events do not have completely free rein in use of their exemptions. There are guidelines that have to be followed.

That's true of every tour. A "standard" LPGA Tour event, for example, can give out only two sponsor exemptions.

How Do Players Get Sponsor Exemptions?

Tours usually put a limit on the number of sponsor exemptions golfers can accept in any given year, but again, this is something that varies by tour. On the PGA Tour, PGA Tour members can take an unlimited number of sponsor exemptions; non-PGA Tour members can take a maximum of seven.
    Players who need sponsor exemptions typically write letters to tournament directors requesting them, and then hope for the best.

As Padraig is a PGA Tour member, that means he will be allowed unlimited sponsors' invitations. I guess the question then becomes for how much longer will these invitations be forthcoming if he continues to finish well down the field?

It's an awful pity he didn't finish one shot better yesterday and pick up some world ranking points. I know it wouldn't have made a huge difference to his ranking, but it would at least have got him off the mark for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

As Padraig is a PGA Tour member, that means he will be allowed unlimited sponsors' invitations. I guess the question then becomes for how much longer will these invitations be forthcoming if he continues to finish well down the field?

Is he still despite losing his card? How long does it last?

• Advertisement

The way I look at it is this - this weekend wasn't great - BUT - he still finished in the top half of the field - with 15 of the guys who made the cut with him - BEHIND him.

Hes got 15,000 dollars in his back pocket that he didn't have.

His mess up at the 18th last week saw him go out of the cut - which he would have made had he only parred

Had a nightmare round on Saturday with a +5 - but a lot of others also had similar rounds over the weekend - I mentioned last night about the guy for whome yesterdays +5 round at the same event - took him out of the top 10 AND 20.

However - he did well to improve yesterday to achieve a level par round

He may never ever be the golfer he was again - but I still respect him for keeping going.

Theres no doubt his struggling in the US - and its amazing to think that one event in Asia worked out so much better then all eight US events combined.

Not sure what the future holds for him - but heck I wish him well anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I know he was giving a stern talking to by Desmond & McManus on Saturday night in Pebble Beach and they have done this in the past as well.

In summary if they have a business that is flagging or going down the drain they don't keep doing the same things and hoping for the same results. He needs to make changes.

It is my opinion that he is quite set in his ways to the point where he is stubborn in his own beliefs about his game and how he approaches the game. It has nearly got to the point where he can't change.

Case in point:

195 yards to back right pin. Lowry hits 6 Iron to middle of green birdie putt, walks off with Par. Harrington tries to cut a 5 Iron to the pin flips it over long left, double bogey.

These doubles & trebles can be avoided a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

LoL at the idea of Desmond and McManus giving a 3 time major champ golf advice in the form of a "stern talking to".

So he was just one shot off getting world ranking points

Bit of a pain that.

On the other hand - I thought I read somewhere that there was 1500 plus guys on the world rankings - so if THATS true - I may very well be misremembering - then hes actually still in the top third of Golfers in the world based on his ranking of 297.

Even if you assume 760 or thereabouts was the last spot on the world rankings based on Oliver Wilson being down at 763 before winning the Dunhills - Padraigs still in the top half of golfers in the world based on world ranking.

(shrugs shoulders)

Anyway - my expectation is that - he will probably come back to do European events if hes not getting his invites to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

HighLine wrote: »
    LoL at the idea of Desmond and McManus giving a 3 time major champ golf advice in the form of a "stern talking to".

Agreed. What business would they have talking to a professional golfer about his game? If JP's horses weren't running well would Padraig sit him down and tell him he needs to change the training methods at his stable?

Agreed. What business would they have talking to a professional golfer about his game? If JP's horses weren't running well would Padraig sit him down and tell him he needs to change the training methods at his stable?

I actually doubt it was the specifics of his game they would have been discussing.

but the GENERAL need - to change

Like this

"okay Padraig - that was a (swear word) bloody disaster at the last dropping 3 shots - for (swear word) sake man - you were going quite well before that mistake.

The reality Padraig - as i see it - it looks like your trying to do things the SAME way ALL the time - and its not working for you.

To CHANGE the results you are getting - you need to make changes - that is the reality. You won't get the results if you keep doing things the way you are doing at the moment."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Where did it say they were talking to him about his game? More likely they were advising him on assessing his career options both inside and outside golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

First Up wrote: »
    Where did it say they were talking to him about his game? More likely they were advising him on assessing his career options both inside and outside golf.

I was just replying to this post which seems to imply they were talking to him about his game.
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    I know he was giving a stern talking to by Desmond & McManus on Saturday night in Pebble Beach and they have done this in the past as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I was just replying to this post which seems to imply they were talking to him about his game.

Does it? Where?

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »

It sounded to me from Pistol 75s post that it may have being a chat about he needing to actually change what he does - not a talk about his actual Golf game - but a need to accept the need to change if he is to progress - in other words - that getting better results needs change.

You don't need to be a 3 time major champ to be able to point that out - or even a golf expert (imo).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement