Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Very encouraging start given the generally poor scoring. Didn't expect to see minus 1 that high up. If he could shoot 70 today he will be well in the mix for the weekend.

Cut around plus 2 today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Great start for Padraig and a great gift grub on the Masters starting. Check it out. Padraig and Rory feature, as do the Sky lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Redzah wrote: »
    A bit harsh as I've never heard of a clown with 3 majors. Jaysus with advice like the above Dr. Bob will be haemorraging clients to u left, right and centre. Very positive signs in recent weeks for PH, only a matter of time before he proves all the haters wrong.

Exactly what advice are you talking about? I think you'll find that the "one shot at a time" philosophy is from Bob Rotella.

Who are the haters you refer to? I don't think anyone on this site hates PH - just infuriated by his constant tinkering and psycho babble. Even PH must have a hard time believing his own positive outlook. I can't see him winning on the PGA tour again but feel free to resurrect this post if that miracle happens.

Come on Podge, no better way to shut guys like these up than winning the masters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

5 under for the last 6 holes - some finish by Harrington:D
    At -4 he is in s good position for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

I love paddy

• Advertisement

Good to see him back contending in a major. Game looks in good shape. Had an awful lot of good birdie chances and could even have won. There was a 66 or better there for him.

Moving in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

doomed wrote: »
    Good to see him back contending in a major. Game looks in good shape. Had an awful lot of good birdie chances and could even have won. There was a 66 or better there for him.

Moving in the right way.

his iron striking was super and you could see he felt confident over those shots but the putter doesn't work like it used to, same as Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

who_ru wrote: »
    his iron striking was super and you could see he felt confident over those shots but the putter doesn't work like it used to, same as Westwood.

I genuinely think he is the best short iron/wedge player in the world. He might not show it consistently yet but that swing is starting to look great, there is definitely something different about his body language the last few weeks too. Looks like he will be back challenging consistently again soon and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Pity the way things worked out for him last night. His odds went to 4/1 at one stage, 3rd-favourite I think and he really seemed to have the momentum. Don't remember the hole numbers but there were a couple of key short putts missed on the front 9 that would really have put him in the mix. Surprised how little the national media have made of how close he came (in terms of opportunity if not in terms of final score) ... the double bogey on the last was a sickener too.

Looking forward to him getting the W in a regular tour event shortly!!

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was an excellent showing from Harrington this week. A real shame about the double at the last, hopefully it doesn't leave too many mental scars.

He has moved to 80th in the world golf rankings, 27th in the R2D & 71st in the fed-ex.

I see he is staying on in the states to tee it up at the 'RBC Heritage' this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Up 16 places in world rankings to 80th.

Hopefully he'll kick on from here, been 3 years since he was in the mix in a major, was good to see him back in the thick of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I had him at 60/1 each way, €5 bet. He tried his best and again it was great to see him so high up on the last day but why, oh why didn't he make at least three birdies out of those chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Aidric wrote: »

He has moved to 80th in the world golf rankings, 27th in the R2D & 71st in the fed-ex.

His cheque of €175,000 was more than Thorborn Olson got for winning in Sicily last week. Almost feels like a victory for him. Should set him up for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

His cheque of €175,000 was more than Thorborn Olson got for winning in Sicily last week. Almost feels like a victory for him. Should set him up for the season ahead.

Harrington's iron play was a good as anyone (maybe bar Westwood). If he had holed putts like Oosthuizen then he would have been right in contention and may have won. Hopefully he'll kick on from here and keep playing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I think it was his missed 3 footer on 7 that really stopped him, had he knocked that it he would have went to -7 and only two back. Had forgotten how good it is to see Harrington in contention and hopefully he will putt better this week in the Heritage.
    Should have a good chance there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Paddy really played well yesterday, the quality of his iron play was great, he just needed a few putts to drop, and it didnt happen.
    The double at the last just meant that instead of finishing 6th, he finished tied 8th, still another top 10 finish for his cv. He should take a lot of confidence from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

who_ru wrote: »

The difference is that Harrington's putter used to work whereas Westwood was never a good putter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I think Westwood's problem is his dislike for the really fast greens in major championships.
    I've seen him win many tournaments on the European Tour holing everything.
    Harrington has always been up there as one of the best putters despite having a tendency to miss very makable putts from time to time.
    Hopefully he's finding his touch again on the greens (I think his only three putt at Augusta was at the 72nd hole) because his long game is looking very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MungoMan wrote: »
    Paddy really played well yesterday, the quality of his iron play was great, he just needed a few putts to drop, and it didnt happen.
    The double at the last just meant that instead of finishing 6th, he finished tied 8th, still another top 10 finish for his cv. He should take a lot of confidence from it.

Wasn't even so bad, wasn't he 7th before he made a mess of the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

MungoMan wrote: »

Wasn't even so bad, wasn't he 7th before he made a mess of the last.

Yes and even if he birdied the last 7th would have been where he finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

stockdam wrote: »
    Harrington's iron play was a good as anyone (maybe bar Westwood). If he had holed putts like Oosthuizen then he would have been right in contention and may have won. Hopefully he'll kick on from here and keep playing well

Apart from the 18th on Sunday, it seemed to me that Harrington's putts just weren't dropping instead of his putting being off i.e. just one of those days.

It definitely would be great if the form stays and he gets a few more wins under his belt this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I agree and when you consider the pace of those greens and the undulations involved, it's easy to be 'off'. The 7th was a blow to miss and he created great chances on 11 and 12. I thought his pitch on 13 (after laying up perfectly) was weak to leave him above the hole. Had he sank one or two of those chances then who knows... would have had those PGA eyes going no doubt :)

Anyway, it's great to see him contending on the big stage again. You don't exactly fluke a top 10 at the masters so it's measure of his game currently.

Will need at last a birdie over the last 2 holes to make the cut.

Just a par on 17. Needs a birdie on 18th

Weekend off for Harry, +4.

Playing partners didn't make it either, Els +6 and Haas +6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Weekend off for Harry, +4.

Playing partners didn't make it either, Els +6 and Haas +6.

Not definitely out yet as it would only require two more players to drop back to +4 for that to become the cut. It does look unlikely though from scanning the leaderboard nobody is on +3 out on the course.

Putting appears to have been Padraig's problem again this week. The new stat "strokes gained - putting" on the the pgatour site shows him with -4.3 for today. This means he has lost 4.3 shots on average to the field in putting over the course of the round in terms of putts holed. For the 36 holes, he is ranked 127 out of only 129 players to play the two rounds. Not much doubt about what he will be working on for the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Definitely missed the cut now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Martin567 wrote: »
    Not definitely out yet as it would only require two more players to drop back to +4 for that to become the cut. It does look unlikely though from scanning the leaderboard nobody is on +3 out on the course.

Putting appears to have been Padraig's problem again this week. The new stat "strokes gained - putting" on the the pgatour site shows him with -4.3 for today. This means he has lost 4.3 shots on average to the field in putting over the course of the round in terms of putts holed. For the 36 holes, he is ranked 127 out of only 129 players to play the two rounds. Not much doubt about what he will be working on for the next couple of weeks!

Yep, putting is killing him at the mo. It's strange, putting was always a strong point of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I didn't like his attitude last week. When interviewed he went on about the majors that he wont recently..and nobody has won more than him in the last 5 years...so he should be up in the favourites for the majors now. This isn't the harrington that I know. He seems to be way too defensive.

• Advertisement

I didn't like his attitude last week. When interviewed he went on about the majors that he wont recently..and nobody has won more than him in the last 5 years...so he should be up in the favourites for the majors now. This isn't the harrington that I know. He seems to be way too defensive.

Its like he is grasping at straws to give himself confidence. He is not an idiot and he knows that his last 3 years form is poor and more relevant than what he did in 2007-8. I wish him well and I think he can take real encouragement from the Masters. The difficulty is that when your putting goes off you put too much pressure on the other parts of the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement